Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into doing an Acturial Degree in College

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bafs4

Do actuary in Ucd if you can manage the points there are many different reasons
    why.........but I will explain with the aid of carlowboys points of information because they
    are vital in my explanation.....

1.They take attendances in dcu....Do you really want to attend
    bull**it lectures on a hangover every morning
    ...NO YOU DON'T but due to them being retards they have to
    and hopefully your lucky enough not to be one.
    Take my advice study the notes,it's much easier.

2.Fantastic relationships with insurance companies.....I'm sure
    you were talking to the recruitment people at those companies,as
    if they are gonna hire a dcu person over a ucd person((be realistic))
    Just to inform you as you may not realise this, as you are in Dcu
    ......actuaries are also employed in assurance,reinsurance,consultancy,
    pensions,investment banking,,,Also the i-banks only rate ucd and trinity grads
    as dcu's reputation is the equivalent to an IT to them(no offence).........So the great
    relationships load of rubbish

3.Dcu grads get more honours degrees statistically.....You study actuary ie.
    statistics: two points here should prove this wrong
    (a) dcu grads get higher points in the leaving cert???(sarcasm in
    case you dont get the whole sarcasm thing) When you learn about correlation
    learn about the correlation between leaving cert results and the level of your degree!!!
    (b)more people do actuary in dcu 60 approx where as around 40 do it in ucd....so do
    a percentage on how many get honours degrees not numbers
    ....hopefully that great dcu course has taught you about proportions...
    i've researched this so proportionally Ucd grads get more honours degrees and 1:1s
    and this would make sense as they get higher points.
    A pass degree in ucd is probably better than an honours in DCU.

4.Ucd has a bad open day....Does have any reflection on the course??
    NO.....It doesnt need a good open day
    enough people apply unlike Dcu which begs people to come(No offence again)

5.Accomodation wait two weeks and everybody gets it...above 590 and
    your guarunteed...in dcu apparently its above 500 as thats rare.
    Again highlighting why ucd is better.

6.Obviously if the requirement points is 490 the average will be
    higher as 490 is the lowest....statistics wizard this guy....ucd average 580 dcu 535...proportionally
    the average points are higher in ucd(((sorry but I hate having to correct you on everything)))

7. If economics is such a joke why do you need to attend lectures??????Stop contradicting yourself...

8.Your not great at catching up....again a trait of Dcu grads....

9.Carlowboy states his exemption exam could be tougher "If you believe this you are obviously very smart for picking dcu"

10. Point of information about the exemptions.....There is not an exact mark for an exemption the faculty decide the mark pending the difficulty
    of the exam...note it is an outside body that give exemptions not the college, so the college have nothing to do with granting exemptions..
    This would mean the exemptions exams regardless of mcq or written on average would be equal in difficulty...Dcu obviously inform there students well.
    I also heard only ten got the economics exemption in Dcu out 60 approx last year only 3 missed it in ucd out 35...statisically who gets more
    exemptions this time.....guess what is carlowboy a statistically very easy question for you, because you logic works regarless...

11.If your lazy go to dcu....Not true made 10 lectures in first year in ucd and got all A's.
    You should change that to if your stupid go to dcu if your smart and wanna have a social life go to ucd...

I have one question I want you to answer "What was first on you Cao????" Sorry but your trying to justify why Dcu is better
    so I felt the need to correct you on some ridiculous statements you made. I hope when you graduate and when you reporting your information will be more accurate
    because some of your posts are laughable.For the person who set up this thread im sure you understand the difference between ucd and dcu now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

haha u make me laugh.......as if UCD is better than DCU!!!! stop talkin b***s***!!!!!!!:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bafs4

Sorry I forgot to mention that ucd students also get paid more on work experience, check the if you want as well carlowboy.......sorry cartman unlucky with not getting the points for ucd.....again read all the above points you thick c***

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Can someone shed any more light on the truth of all the anti-DCU stuff? It would be interesting to get a contrasting viewpoint. I can't really judge as I'm only doing LC this year myself but does the whole "UCD is better than DCU" thing have any basis in truth at all or is it all just snobbery? In all likelihood I could get the points for either, but right now DCU is appealing to me a bit more & I don't see any point in only going for UCD because of the higher points. It would be the equivalent of putting down Medicine so you don't "waste the points" even if you have no real interest.

Also, not sure how relevant it is but in response to the thing about relationships with insurance companies, at the DCU open day we were told that companies were contacting them looking for work experience students but the demand was greater than the number of students, so I guess their relationships must not be too bad. Also from what I hear if you do well for work experience you'd have a fairly good chance of being offered a job in the same place when you're finished, but that probably goes for grads from either course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

jennyq wrote: »
    Can someone shed any more light on the truth of all the anti-DCU stuff? It would be interesting to get a contrasting viewpoint. I can't really judge as I'm only doing LC this year myself but does the whole "UCD is better than DCU" thing have any basis in truth at all or is it all just snobbery? In all likelihood I could get the points for either, but right now DCU is appealing to me a bit more & I don't see any point in only going for UCD because of the higher points. It would be the equivalent of putting down Medicine so you don't "waste the points" even if you have no real interest.

Also, not sure how relevant it is but in response to the thing about relationships with insurance companies, at the DCU open day we were told that companies were contacting them looking for work experience students but the demand was greater than the number of students, so I guess their relationships must not be too bad. Also from what I hear if you do well for work experience you'd have a fairly good chance of being offered a job in the same place when you're finished, but that probably goes for grads from either course.

i personally feel its to wit snobbery as well, go to where ever you think you will be happier in, dont go just because of points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

bafs4 wrote: »
    1.They take attendances in dcu....Do you really want to attend
    bull**it lectures on a hangover every morning
    ...NO YOU DON'T but due to them being retards they have to
    and hopefully your lucky enough not to be one.
    Also the i-banks only rate ucd and trinity grads
    as dcu's reputation is the equivalent to an IT to them(no offence)
    A pass degree in ucd is probably better than an honours in DCU.
    It doesnt need a good open day
    enough people apply unlike Dcu which begs people to come(No offence again)
    in dcu apparently its above 500 as thats rare.
    Again highlighting why ucd is better.
    8.Your not great at catching up....again a trait of Dcu grads....
    You should change that to if your stupid go to dcu if your smart and wanna have a social life go to ucd...

Its retards like you that give UCD a bad name. Reported, and I hope you get a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

Sorry I forgot to mention that ucd students also get paid more on work experience, check the if you want as well carlowboy.......sorry cartman unlucky with not getting the points for ucd.....again read all the above points you thick c***

if i got 600 points i wouldnt go to UCD!!! especially with people like you there you know why!!!!! checkmate......:D.

P.S you and UCD need to get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

What about the actual exams for the actuary career? I heard that in UCD you do 8 of them during the 4 years and the rest outside, out of about 15.

Whats the case in DCU then?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Yuugib wrote: »
    What about the actual exams for the actuary career? I heard that in UCD you do 8 of them during the 4 years and the rest outside, out of about 15.

Whats the case in DCU then?

There are exemptions offered for the same exams as far as I know but I don't know if the standard you have to meet in your college exams is the same or different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement