Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know where Canal View Terrace is?

Options
  • 20-09-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some genealogical research and I'm wondering where this address is. I know it's in the Dolphin's Barn or Crumlin/Kimmage area, but Google Earth or Google Maps don't show it. It's probably a small road anyway, so that's not a surprise. It may not even exist anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

I only ever heard of a Canal Terrace in Bluebell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It's likely that you're right. The Independent Directory only lists Canal Terrace, and the area would seem to match up. Thanks for that information :)

I was asking my Dad about this too, he said it also may have been one of the small streets that were demolished around James hospital. He said if you can find an old city map it would be worth a try.

Thanks for the extra bit of help! It's much appreciated :) I guess I'll have to have a look at some old maps then to see if it ever did exist, or was just written incorrectly on the birth cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a number of old directories I can check. Roughly what time period are we talking?

• Advertisement

1890s. That'd be great. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm afraid the ones I have are older than that.
    You could try a nice email to the Dublin Archives. They are usually very helpful.
    page here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Exit wrote:
    or was just written incorrectly on the birth cert.
    Exit wrote:
    1890s. That'd be great. Thanks :)

:eek: Jesus, how old are you? Are you Highlander?

:p:D

That'd be my grandfather's birth cert :p

spurious wrote:
    I'm afraid the ones I have are older than that.
    You could try a nice email to the Dublin Archives. They are usually very helpful.
    page here

Got a reply. He said the only other "Canal Terrace" is Royal Canal Terrace on the Phibsborough Road, but that wouldn't match my location. He said he'd believe the correct one would be the one in Bluebell, but he wasn't definite about it.

It's probable that it is the one in Bluebell then. Thanks for everybody's help!

• Advertisement

Not sure if the Bluebell one is that old, I would think from the looks of the area its 1930's housing. OSI has an archive of old maps, and for a fee you can browse it online. Or you may want to drop them a mail.

Hmm, in that case I may have to do some research next time I'm in the National Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

Does anyone know if there was a mother/baby home on 8 royal canal terrace in the 1920-30s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Canal View Cottages are mentioned on this O.S.I. map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,713694,732645,7 (Click Historic 6" B&W on the right hand side to get the old map overlay.)

This may be what you are looking for as on the 1911 Census site the Terrace is mentioned as being on Crumlin Road. This would fit with the location of the cottages. Either way, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

thanks I have never seen this site before,,, great reference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jenny96

heidiresk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there was a mother/baby home on 8 royal canal terrace in the 1920-30s?

My husband was cared for by a foster carer at 8 royal canal terrace sometime between 1932, when he was born, and 1936 when he went to St Kyrans Industrial School, Rathdrum. The surname of the foster carer was either Byrne or Ryan. I have also recently found out that in 1933 there was a nurse at this address who cared for three children. I am intrigued by your inquiry as I have been trying to find out more about the foster carer for my husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This thread is two years old, please don't dig up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement