Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone used Thaiphoon SPD Burner before.....

• 20-09-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

edit: all MHZ referred to are DDR, not base clock :)

Im looking to reprogram a DDR2 800Mhz module to a max of 400Mhz so that it basically identified as a 400Mhz module by default in BIOS.

I think i've found the right hex value, but I want to be sure.

Why you ask? Well, we bought a new PC for the wifey, its a HP with an Asus motherboard, I965 chipset, E4300 C2D. I can use clockgen to up the FSB/RAM but of course the RAM goes out of spec pretty soon as its only 400Mhz (in sync with the current stock FSB). I think I maxed out at 815Mhz FSB, which is very lame. The stock FSB for the E4300 is 800Mhz and the chipset supports 1066, so theres no problem there! It looks like there is an auto multi lock (for PCI/PCI-ex)on the board so that always helps.

So im thinking if I get an 800Mhz module, and program it to identify itself as 400Mhz to BIOS through SPD then I have the overhead I need to overclock the SOB.

So, anyone got advice on how to reprogram an 800Mhz module as a 400Mhz one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well I came across SPDTool which is free and hopefully will do what I need it too.

Ill post up in overclocking logs if I get anywhere. Im optimistic, even though I cant up the Vcore, I recon I can get a decent overclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm v interested how this goes, keep us posted m8

PogMoThoin wrote:
    I'm v interested how this goes, keep us posted m8

Well ive programmed it to run at 400MHZ, but its running with 400Mhz timings (I think). I need to programme the SPD to run 400Mhz with the equivilant timings of 800Mhz so that it can run at 800Mhz.

Feckin messy TBH, I have some of the timings in spec but weather it will brick the module is another story.

Also there seems to be three "modes" programmed in the SPD with the respective timings, eg 400Mhz, 200Mhz and 133Mhz. But I have no idea how I can be sure the 400Mhz clock with the 800Mhz timings is set on boot.

This has been a bit of a nightmare. The computer that I am trying this on is running vista and that seems to be adding to my misery as I only have 2x 512Mb modules to try this on. The list of settings that you can change in the SPD is almost literally as long as my arm!

After some tweaking I think I have the settings I need. The new SPD settings are on the left, stock on the right:

spd%20settings.JPG

Wont get a chance to try these settings until tomorrow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Well, any joy with this?

• Advertisement

Haven't had a chance to persue it further. Ill give this thread a nudge when I have progress.

Advertisement