Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post positive experiences of driving in Ireland

Options
  • 20-09-2007 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

We have a lot of people ranting here, most have legitimate complaints.
    So post something positive here to lighten the mood :)

Come on, there has to be something about driving in Ireland you like.
    And please, nothing sarcastic like: "I love when idiots don't get in my way!"
    Positive examples only or start your own threat with your ranting and don't ruin this thread.

I'll start:

I like driving in rural areas and all the locals salute you even if you don't know them.

We have some roads in beautiful areas that are a pleasure to drive, like the Sally Gap or West Clare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Ballyallaban Co Clare when the road is closed, 2.2 miles of shear thrill...:D
    After the carpark just hang on and be brave...:D
    Ya gotta love that hill..:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

micmclo wrote:
    I like driving in rural areas and all the locals salute you even if you don't know them.
    I'll second that, pretty unique in this modern unfriendly world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Cork is generally such a nice place to drive, drivers being polite (they do break the lights a lot though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Good experiences on irish roads, oh my god yes. I know we give out but Irish drivers really are very good. I have driven in some european countries and the states.
    The willingness of Irish drivers to let you in to the traffic is amazing. I have seen slow traffic stitch together beautifully each driver allowing one car in.
    I don't think there is anywhere you get that sort of consideration. In heavy traffic people on the roundabout flash you in.

No matter how much we give out I love the consideration of most Irish drivers may we never lose it.

Thank you to people who stopped to help my wife when she ran out of petrol / had a puncture / crashed through the wall of a house.

I know we give out but I think we have it pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

stevenk wrote:
    Cork is generally such a nice place to drive, drivers being polite
    Unless you have a D reg - joking:D

Yep, I've found Cork drivers much more laid back and forgiving than the daily "war" in dublin rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

revving my car at grannies as there goign over a pedestrian corssing......oh yeah :):)

miju wrote:
    revving my car at grannies as there goign over a pedestrian corssing......oh yeah :):)
    Wanna watch that, the badge might fall off yer GlanSAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I like nothing better than doing donuts on quiet roads or even dual carriageways at 3 or 4 in the morning and to go and see the following morning if you managed to complete a perfect circle.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

stevec wrote:
    Wanna watch that, the badge might fall off yer GlanSAD.

yeah cos i'd drive one of those ****heaps :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

the irish are great at letting people out of junctions and INDICATING, the english hate the hassle of using the indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

empty back roads!

miju wrote:
    yeah cos i'd drive one of those ****heaps :p:p:p
    LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

getting it sideways on empty back roads . er a bit

maybe we should move this to after hours before the tall horses arrive.

/me leaving a "boy racer" to explain to his "mot" what 200hp of mivec + induction kit that just left him quivering means.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MIVEC is my evil mistress!

colm_mcm wrote:
    MIVEC is my evil mistress!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Kodos to the good samaritan who helped me push my Punto off the road after the timing belt broke a few years back. He then gave me a lift to the nearest garage where we picked up a tow rope, and dropped me back and towed me. Fair fuppin play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Driving on roads that the cops closed after some feen was killed on them. Lush.
    Or really, getting to change a spare for a Polo full of med students in the rain. Made me feel all big and manly like. And got a kiss from the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cornbb wrote:
    Kodos to the good samaritan who helped me push my Punto off the road after the timing belt broke a few years back. He then gave me a lift to the nearest garage where we picked up a tow rope, and dropped me back and towed me. Fair fuppin play.
    He shoulda helped you push it over a cliff! :p

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

wet-paint wrote:
    Or really, getting to change a spare for a Polo full of med students in the rain. Made me feel all big and manly like. And got a kiss from the driver.
    Was he good looking? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kerrrory@gmail.

micmclo wrote:

Positive examples only or start your own threat with your ranting and don't ruin this thread.

I'll start:

We have some roads in beautiful areas that are a pleasure to drive, like the Sally Gap or West Clare

I like to go for a drive at night sometimes and listen to Pet Sounds by Tom Dunne. Sometimes i visualise an imaginary slip road that will drive me up into the skies. When im stuck in traffic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kerrrory@gmail.

micmclo wrote:

I'll start:

Yes its nice to drive at night when there is no traffic and listen to the radio. It can be very relaxing.

Advertisement