Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bang....then nothing

Options
  • 20-09-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Reversed out the of the drive, put it into first, let out the clutch and there was a bang...then nothing! In any gear letting out the clutch all you hear is a grinding sound, cant find where the clutch cable goes into the gearbox so presuming either the cables popped or the clutch has gone?

97K on the clock and I dont know if its ever been changed before. :( 99 Primera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like the pressure plate may have collapsed - or possibly a dodgy automatic adjuster on the clutch cable.

Do you get drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Thought most cars had hydraulic clutches now, anyway sounds like the cables snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

would have thought it was a cable as u can hear a bit of a squeak when its being depressed/released.

do i get drive? not sure what you mean, clutch comes all the way out and you hear a grinding as if its not quite in gear, revs dont really dip. Applies to all gears/reverse...

99 Primera P11-144

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

stratos wrote:
    Thought most cars had hydraulic clutches now, anyway sounds like the cables snapped.

Couldn't possibly be the cable. If the cable had snapped,then you would have no clutch..... you wouldn't be able to break the drive to the gearbox at all.

I'm with crosstownk on this. Another (unlikely) possibility is a broken shaft or ring in the gearbox.

Avns1s wrote:
    e. If the cable had snapped,then you would have no clutch..... you wouldn't be able to break the drive to the gearbox at all.
    I'm not sure about a Primera, but some cars have an automatic adjuster on the cable. It works on a kind of ratchet system - if it fails it slackens the cable. So it's a possibility.
    pclancy wrote:
    do i get drive? not sure what you mean

What I mean is - when you release the clutch, does the car drive?

• Advertisement

Ok no it doesnt bite at all, just makes a grinding sound as if its not quite in gear. There was a pretty loud bang after I went from reverse into 1st and it hasnt moved since.

pclancy wrote:
    Ok no it doesnt bite at all, just makes a grinding sound as if its not quite in gear. There was a pretty loud bang after I went from reverse into 1st and it hasnt moved since.
    :eek:

Sounds like a gearbox fault - maybe......?

Feck. Okay, gonna get quinn direct to bring it home to laois next week and let my local mech look at it, im ****ed if im paying a dublin garage! Cheers for the replies anyway lads.

pclancy wrote:
    Feck. Okay, gonna get quinn direct to bring it home to laois next week and let my local mech look at it, im ****ed if im paying a dublin garage! Cheers for the replies anyway lads.

Just another thought - it could be that the centre has been torn out of the clutch disc. This is not really all that common - but it would explain the fact that you have no drive, the loud bang you heard and the grinding noise when you attempt to take up drive. Either way, I'd say you're looking at a new clutch kit as a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    Just another thought - it could be that the centre has been torn out of the clutch disc. This is not really all that common - but it would explain the fact that you have no drive, the loud bang you heard and the grinding noise when you attempt to take up drive. Either way, I'd say you're looking at a new clutch kit as a minimum.

I'd go with this... or else sheared flywheel bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Exact same thing happen to me in a car ( only I was on the Navan Road :rolleyes: )

Symptoms were exactly like yours .. it needed a new clutch , pressure plate had collapsed and something to do with the bearings iirc

Waiting for tow truck, he reckons drive shaft as the speedos moving when its in gear. Any recommendations for good value garages around castleknock/blanch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

pclancy wrote:
    Waiting for tow truck, he reckons drive shaft as the speedos moving when its in gear. Any recommendations for good value garages around castleknock/blanch?

Seriosuly doubt its the driveshafts! .. (i had these go on a car i previosuly owned too :D )

you would know before hand if the driveshafts were going , becuase there would be vibrations etc , it wouldnt just instantly do this.

And for the record , when my clutch pressure plate was knakered, speedo moved up as well while car was not goin anywhere!!

Hmmmm - usually the speedo is driven from the final drive in the gearbox. If this is the case it's safe to assume that drive is passing from the engine to the gearbox - which would probably mean that the clutch is OK. It could easily be a snapped driveshaft or inner driveshaft flange or a failed CVJ - but as C_Breeze stated, you will usually have prior warning.

Let us know what the diagnosis is..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It should be easy to determine whether its clutch oir gearbox. Does the clutch pedal feel normal, i.e same weight and travel ?

Does the gear lever actually feel like it has selected the gear correctly ?

Try it with the Motor switched off !

If the clutch has gone and you select gear with the engine off then the car will buck and try to drive forward as you switch the starter on.

If the engine is running and you let out the clutch and hear a grating grinding sound then that means the clutch is feeding properly but the gearbox is
    bo11ixed !

Just read your latest post !

Yep.......its the driveshafts ! If the speed moves then your clutch and gearbox are ok but the sound you are hearing is one of the driveshafts has sheared its splines and this would typically manifest itself as you change direction abrubtly.

I had backed out of a drive and was about to take off with probably 3/4 wheel lock to the right when it popped

RH CV joint. Any recommendations for a mobile mech that would do that for me? The quinn direct towaway bloke rang a few garages locally but nobody could take it so just left it here and i'll get someone to sort it in the drive.

pclancy wrote:
    RH CV joint. Any recommendations for a mobile mech that would do that for me? The quinn direct towaway bloke rang a few garages locally but nobody could take it so just left it here and i'll get someone to sort it in the drive.

PM Sent..........

Advertisement