Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kosher food in Tesco

• 20-09-2007 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been in Tesco Nutgrove lately and seen the huge amount of Kosher food on sale? I have no problem at all with it but wonder is there a demand for it? Right beside is a huge section of Polish food so is it Polish Jews buying it? In all seriousness I thought there were very few Polish jews.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

More Halal food I've been seeing. What makes food kosher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

It's the way it's prepared-much like halal. You know slaughtering animals in a particular way. Also as far as I remember jews cannot use the same utensils to prepare milk and meat products. I haven't seen any halal stuff around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ricks Burgers on Dame Street in Dublin is Halal isn't it?

Great burgers.... I had one this evening.

MooseJam wrote:
    God that's even more complicated than I thought! it's bad enough having to cook for fussy Irish kids. I'd starve if I was jewish or get thrown out for not observing the laws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 pert

They sell all sorts of Polish stuff.

Even fresh Polish bread.

Most of it looks revolting, mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

fresh polish bread, they must have to fly it over in specially chartered planes, you'd nearly be compelled to try it after all the effort they put into getting it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

damn koshers, they come over here and they won't eat our food

... from the little i know of the jewish religion, it is something to do with humanely killing the animal. A few of my jewish friends eat in halal restaurants because the muslim method of killing animals is quite similar - which is kinda ironic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Humanely killing the animal??!

IIRC they slit its throat and let it bleed out.

Humanely killing the animal??!

IIRC they slit its throat and let it bleed out.
    Yeah... but they tend to be pretty precise at doing it as opposed to the electric shock and messy slice you'd get in a standard abattoir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Apparently the meat in Domino's is halal now. (not sure about all branches but it is in the nearest one to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

There has always been a lot of Jews in this area-Terenure, Rathgar, Rathfarnham etc. Supervalu in Churchtown also stocks kosher stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

MooseJam wrote:
    fresh polish bread, they must have to fly it over in specially chartered planes, you'd nearly be compelled to try it after all the effort they put into getting it here
    There's actually a Polish bakery in Tallaght, which is where the majority of the bread comes from. Some of it does come from importers however. The bakery has a shop at the Bolton Street end of Capel Street. You can get MASSIVE buns for only €1.10 and they are very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

... from the little i know of the jewish religion, it is something to do with humanely killing the animal. A few of my jewish friends eat in halal restaurants because the muslim method of killing animals is quite similar - which is kinda ironic imho

probably not that strange when you think both creeds come from around the same areas and this is the 5768 year of the jewish calendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Charcoal grill is halal

Remember hearing a story about a year ago about all the hassle that Irish Pride went through in order to be officially designated as kosher. The factories, ingredients had to be personally inspected by the Chief Rabbi of Ireland before it could be approved.

Always thought that halal meat was meant to be more humane than our way of killing animals. It tastes quite different as well.

Remember hearing a story about a year ago about all the hassle that Irish Pride went through in order to be officially designated as kosher. The factories, ingredients had to be personally inspected by the Chief Rabbi of Ireland before it could be approved.

Always thought that halal meat was meant to be more humane than our way of killing animals. It tastes quite different as well.

I dont believe so they slit the animals throat while it is conscious were as standard slaughter practises usually have the animal stunned and rendered unconscious before slaughtering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Religions are a bit silly really aren't they.

eo980 wrote:
    There's actually a Polish bakery in Tallaght, which is where the majority of the bread comes from. Some of it does come from importers however. The bakery has a shop at the Bolton Street end of Capel Street. You can get MASSIVE buns for only €1.10 and they are very tasty.
    There's a Polish bakery in my office building in Coolock too... very tasty stuff indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

eo980 wrote:
    You can get MASSIVE buns for only €1.10 and they are very tasty.

uh-huh-huh...cheap polish hookers rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

... from the little i know of the jewish religion, it is something to do with humanely killing the animal. A few of my jewish friends eat in halal restaurants because the muslim method of killing animals is quite similar - which is kinda ironic

Fascinating as these traditions are, they make me want to be a vegetarian atheist!

And that's before we even get started on what they want to do to your willy.

And that's before we even get started on what they want to do to your willy.

surely its not that strange its common practise for the majority of males in the United states of America

Rob_l wrote:
    surely its not that strange its common practise for the majority of males in the United states of America
    Removing a part of your penis for religious reasons and/or possible minimal medical benefits is pretty strange...

Rob_l wrote:

?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

?????

Yes, in the US, circumcision is all the rage.

- for the majority of males - why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Which is odd, because there is no real medical benifit to it, but still alot of males are circumcised.

Crazy yankee dogs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Was driving through Birmingham many years ago when I saw a halal butcher slitting a sheep's throat on the pavement outside his shop, the blood spilling into the gutter - and no mint sauce. Bon Appétit!

I think that some EU regulation now prevents them from carrying out public executions.

• Advertisement

- for the majority of males - why??

Because people feel it's unclean. This is actually something they teach is school in sex-ed class. Smegma is brought up way too much in my opinion. It's a tad misguided. It's just a difference of culture really.

But back to kosher food!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Because people feel it's unclean. This is actually something they teach is school in sex-ed class. Smegma is brought up way too much in my opinion. It's a tad misguided. It's just a difference of culture really.

But back to kosher food!...
    Pull foreskin back, wash your knob.
    It's hardy rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Terry wrote:

What if it is a rocket?

Terry wrote:

Who said it was? :rolleyes: It's just a difference in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Who said it was? :rolleyes: It's just a difference in practice.
    A difference in practice is not a term I would use.

I'd go with barbaric ritualistic mutilation and torturing of children, which is completely unneccessary.

Which is odd, because there is no real medical benifit to it, but still alot of males are circumcised.

No medical benefits?!

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/BA448CC3-7935-43E6-947C-987D69B82D54.asp

... apart from saving lives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Saves lives? I seriously doubt the validity of any study which predicts penis mutilation(short of cutting it off) prevents HIV transfer. There are too many variables to get an accurate result, what if the lads who got it done were the vilage losers(and had no use for an intact tackle) and the guys who acually valued their gear(for obvious reasons) were the town don juan's.

"Only mammals that chew their cud (ruminate) and have cloven hooves are kosher."
    Technically doesnt this mean satan is Kosher? Cloven hooves....rechews Cain all the time etc....

This has been shown very convincingly by very reputable medical organisations, and it is pretty much a widespread belief now.

Medicine Sans Frontier were doing a longtitudinal study on it in South Africa, where they followed two groups (one circumcised, one uncircumcised) over a number of years to track HIV infection rates. The results were so much in favour of circumcision that they stopped the study half-way through and told the uncircumcised group to get circumcised. They felt it would be unethical to continue the experiment because of the overwhelming evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Apparently the meat in Domino's is halal now. (not sure about all branches but it is in the nearest one to me)
    halal samami and ham? theres a novelty.

No medical benefits?!

I think I'd rather just practice safe sex... which is what you should have to do anyway even if you are circumcised, so circumcision is completely pointless in that regard.

lol, well that's me convinced. disappointing how multi-billion euro research organisations haven't thought of that. You should send them an email

• Advertisement

No medical benefits?!

Em, methinks that maybe keeping it zipped would would reduce the mortality rates far more successfully than getting it snipped???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No medical benefits?!

several other reputable agencies and doctors would disagree that there is any real noticable benifit in developed nations and that it's more a matter of choice on the parents part than anything else.

Of course, africa is a different story altogether and i'd imagine there were more factors at play than just circumcision.

http://www.noharmm.org/problem.htm
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/pediatrics;103/3/686.pdf
    http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/FN/fn96-01.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

I worked for a catering company in an International Airport a few years back. We sold kosher sandwiches, and sometimes if we ran out...... we would tell a few porkies(!) and say that non kosher sandwiches were kosher........ Is that bad!!!! And I would almost guarantee that this still happens.... Sometimes it's great being an atheist....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lizzykins wrote:
    In all seriousness I thought there were very few Polish jews.

There used to be a lot more.

You said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Stekelly wrote:
    There used to be a lot more.

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The method of animal slaughter used by Jews and Muslims should be banned immediately, according to an independent advisory group...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2977086.stm

ejmaztec wrote:
    What if it is a rocket?
    Like if you are fully erect and you write
    "USSR" on the side of your cock.It really impresses the ladies especially can I dock in your space station?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pythia wrote:

And from the same article we have the incredibly open-minded:
    The Humanists movement, which has previously called for the abolition of ritual slaughter, said ethical values should be put above religious ones.

"There is no imperative for Muslims or Judaists to eat meat produced in this manner," said spokesman Roy Saich.

"There is no reason why they should not simply abstain from eating meat altogether if they do not wish to eat the same meat as the rest of us."

I particularly like the last part - if you don't do it our way, don't do it at all...

I think people place too much faith in the Western process of stunning an animal before slaughter. If you stun something, you render it incapable of defending itself or moving around. Stunned animals don't jerk about when they're slaughtered. Stunning appears to be more about the precious sensibilities of meat eaters with the added bonus of being able to use conveyor belts to transfer animals around the place for efficient mass slaughter because they're immobilised.

I don't think slaughtering something for food is ever going to be a delicate and relaxing practice that has therapeutic benefits for anyone involved. On that basis, I don't see how massive exsanguination is any more cruel than production line stunning and use of a bolt gun.

One thing I will give Halal meat - the whole point is that the animal has to be utterly drained of blood before it's butchered. If something is bloodless, it's most definitely dead. I think rather too many large animals in Western slaughterhouses go into processing while not quite dead yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

uoluol wrote:
    I worked for a catering company in an International Airport a few years back. We sold kosher sandwiches, and sometimes if we ran out...... we would tell a few porkies(!) and say that non kosher sandwiches were kosher........ Is that bad!!!! And I would almost guarantee that this still happens.... Sometimes it's great being an atheist....:rolleyes:

i'm not going to lie to you, this is the most kosher ham and cheese sandwich you'll ever find

• Advertisement
Advertisement