Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kosher food in Tesco

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

And from the same article we have the incredibly open-minded:

I particularly like the last part - if you don't do it our way, don't do it at all...

I think people place too much faith in the Western process of stunning an animal before slaughter. If you stun something, you render it incapable of defending itself or moving around. Stunned animals don't jerk about when they're slaughtered. Stunning appears to be more about the precious sensibilities of meat eaters with the added bonus of being able to use conveyor belts to transfer animals around the place for efficient mass slaughter because they're immobilised.

I don't think slaughtering something for food is ever going to be a delicate and relaxing practice that has therapeutic benefits for anyone involved. On that basis, I don't see how massive exsanguination is any more cruel than production line stunning and use of a bolt gun.

One thing I will give Halal meat - the whole point is that the animal has to be utterly drained of blood before it's butchered. If something is bloodless, it's most definitely dead. I think rather too many large animals in Western slaughterhouses go into processing while not quite dead yet.
    Valid point, but you have to take into consideration that the humanists are just jumping on the bandwagon here.
    I would imagine that the reporter here got the story and then went to the humanists (obviously a bunch of hippies without a clue) to get their take on it and try to make a better story out of it.

The part I don't like is this:
    FAWC said it wanted an end to the exemption currently allowed for Kosher and Halal meat from the legal requirement to stun animals first.
    Special exemptions for religious groups have always annoyed me.

Advertisement