Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test with SGS ltd.

Options
  • 21-09-2007 1:38am

I applied for the driving test a few months ago and was recently contacted by a company called SGS. They have been contracted to perform driving testby the government.
    My problem is that I live in Cork City and they have no test centres here according to their website. What a joke! Do I have to go up the country to do my test or re apply and hope to get tested here in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Surely they told you where the test centre was when they contacted you? Did you apply to Cork? They probably just haven't updated their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The SGS centre is in Little Island.

It's only recently opened, but I had my test at the Wilton one and there's a big sign on the door saying the SGS tests are out at Little Island...and a couple of people I know have had theirs down there.

ellscurr wrote:
    The SGS centre is in Little Island.

It's only recently opened, but I had my test at the Wilton one and there's a big sign on the door saying the SGS tests are out at Little Island...and a couple of people I know have had theirs down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Just a by the by...I just arranged my test with SGS (via their Dublin call-centre) and the lady who took my call offered me Blackrock as their Cork test centre. Far as I can tell it's out near Mahon...Acorn Business Park? Are they no longer using the NCT centre in Little Island or is there two? Would have preferred Little Island.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

yeah little island is still open , the blackrock one has just opened for business , my son was offered blackrock as well but asked for little island and they obliged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Can you phone SGS and book a test with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I think you can only arrange your test date with SGS AFTER the RSA have given your test to SGS .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 drkool

There are 3 centers in Cork Wilton,Little Island,Blackrock. I did every thing online.They will send you email and letters.you do not need to phone. their email add is drivertesting@sgs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

i passed with SGS in blackrock today, it is just in by the mahon golf club in the Acorn business centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

kenny11 wrote: »
    i passed with SGS in blackrock today, it is just in by the mahon golf club in the Acorn business centre.

easy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

it was pouring but if I could have picked the route myself I couldn't have done any better, tester was very professional and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Just my experiences with SGS... Thought this would be the best place to put this.

Basically I applied for my license in the middle of November and got it start of December. I then applied for my test and was given a date of May 5th (5 months to the day after i got my license) i asked when i was booking was it alright as i wouldn't have my license 6 months, he said "yeah as long as you got it before January." So I went in to do the test (in Baldoyle btw) and was told cos i got my license after 31st of October i couldn't do it because it hadn't been 6 months. I was well pissed off with this as i actually had a chance of passing and lost my fee after being given the wrong information.

I went home and checked the confirmation letter i got and it actually did say on it i should have my license 6 months once I've got it after the 1st of December, stupidity on my part for not realising it i know.

But even still the operator told me 1st of January, the letter i got says 1st of December and the Driving testers in Baldoyle says 31st of October.

SGS really need to get their house in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

You were given wrong info by one person, you can't really fault the whole company.

I know and i take the blame for not looking at the letter myself, but it's the fact that on the letter it says you must have a valid license 6 months from 1st of December 2007, and in the test center they said the same only from the 31st of October 2007, and i was told on the phone 1st of January 2008. Told 3 different dates from SGS, which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leejo wrote: »
    I know and i take the blame for not looking at the letter myself, but it's the fact that on the letter it says you must have a valid license 6 months from 1st of December 2007, and in the test center they said the same only from the 31st of October 2007, and i was told on the phone 1st of January 2008. Told 3 different dates from SGS, which one is it?
    A person on a 1st Learner Permit must have had that Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day they take the test.

Clear as crystal!

A person on a 1st Learner Permit must have had that Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day they take the test.

Yeah i've gone through that in my last post :rolleyes:

What im asking is if i had gotten my learner permit a week earlier i would have had it before December 1st, would i have been allowed take the test as the letter said the law came in on the 1st of December? Or would i have to wait another month or so as they said in the test center the law came in on 31st of October?

Does anyone actually know?

No need for the :rolleyes: Leejo - I'm only trying to help!

If you obtained your 1st Learner Permit at the begining of December, then you may not take a driving test until the begining of June.

As I said above, it's crystal clear.

From the RSA:
    • A person who is a first time holder of a learner permit, for a motorcycle, works vehicle or car (licence categories M, A1, A, W, B and EB) cannot take a driving test for a six month period after the commencement date of the permit.

Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. This change will apply to first time learner permit holders for motorcycles, works vehicles and cars after 30 October 2007. Any newly licenced person holding a learner permit must wait six months before taking a driving test.

Apologies, thought you were having a go with the clear as crystal part.

From the RSA:
    Q. When is this change coming into effect?

A. This change will apply to first time learner permit holders for motorcycles, works vehicles and cars after 30 October 2007. Any newly licenced person holding a learner permit must wait six months before taking a driving test.

See this is the part that's confusing me. The confirmation letter i received told me that that date was the 1st of December, granted i was still a week outside 1st of December, but had i got my license a week earlier in November would i have been allowed take the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Well by reading your post it doesn't look like it - you needed to apply and get your confirmation before the end of October.

You're talking about December and November both of which are after October.

Smiley012 wrote: »
    you needed to apply and get your confirmation before the end of October
    That's not correct Smiley.

- If the 1st Provisional Licence in categories A, A1, M, B, EB or W was issued before 30th October then the old system applies, i.e. the driver may do a test anytime.

- If a 1st Learner Permit in the same categories was issued after the 30th of October, then the applicant must wait 6 months before doing the test but may apply anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amkelly10

does anyone know any of the routes for the driving centre in blackrock? anybody have names and numbers of those instructors that cover the routes a couple of weeks beforehand? tanx...

Advertisement