Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin edge

Options
  • 21-09-2007 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

was thinking of buying one of these GPS systems for my bike so i could track all my rides and regular routes i go on, so i can monitor my progress and compare to previous rides, and basically use as a training tool either in place or along with my regular cycle computer

does any one else have one, how do you find it, and does it work with vista

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've been planning on getting one of these for a while now. However, upgraded models are being released around December so I'm going to wait until then. The main issue with the current models is that they can't display topo or street maps - the new ones can.

Several people in MAD have the Edge 305 and they all speak favourably of them. It's a great training tool. Should be fully compatible with Vista. There is also a range of alternative software to use in addition to the Garmin program.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

I use the Forerunner 305 and couldn't recommend it highly enough, very easy to use and set up which is a real plus as I am not too technical. Haven't used the edge but would assume it is just as good.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i have the edge 305. great bit of kit.

garmin's proprietary software (training centre) is not great, but sufficient if you only want to download and analyse your own data. if for example you want to use it for basic navigation then you would need to get some mapping software like fugawi (about 120 canadian bucks). this is great as it allows you to plot routes on maps then upload them to your edge - no more faffing with maps on wet days - just follow the little arrow! They say the edge is more a training aid than a navigation gps, but I use it for both and can't say enough about it. buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Morgan wrote:
    I've been planning on getting one of these for a while now. However, upgraded models are being released around December so I'm going to wait until then. The main issue with the current models is that they can't display topo or street maps - the new ones can..
    I'm holding off for the new garmin too, really looks the business. Any idea when it will be available in Ireland? I'd like to at least check it out and ask questions in maplin even if I eventually end up buying online. Also will it cost extra to have Irish maps (not the city navigator one) on it or can they be downloaded free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Apologies for bumping an old thread but the new Garmin edge ( link in pervious post) is due for release first quarter 2008. Maplin had no information on it's Irish release as of just before crimbo. Anyone know if it's out / when it's likely to be available and where will sell it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

You should consider a Nokia N95 mobile. It comes with built in GPS and street level maps. You can download the Nokia Sports Tracker free from there web site which give you the ability to track your rides, create routes and then export them to Google Earth. It also displays your speed, distance etc on the screen. Check out the below review:

http://www.s60.com/life/application/displayDetails.do?appId=81

I take it Mountain Biking all the time. You can get a handle bar mount but I keep it in my rucksack. It works fine through a closed bag.
    EH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

doubt a N95 would be Rain Proof,

i love to get a garmin edge for the bike but the slagging i would get from the lads in the Club would be too much too bear

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

halfords uk have the 305 online for 140 sterling. very good price. don't deliver to roi, but if you knew someone in uk they could get one 4u

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The 305 is a great piece of kit, note as useful as the GPS tracking is the cadence, heart rate, and altimeter, it gives you a very good idea of how you are doing. Altimeter is truly great, you know exactly how far you have to go to the top of the mountain.

Downsides- have to remember to press the START button to have it record, unlike a traditional computer. Low battery life (~8 hours.) Limited data recording- it will only keep actual route information for around 200km or so, on a multi-day tour I was disappointed to find I only had the last two days GPS info recorded when I got back. (It keeps summary information- total/lap distance etc. for years.) On the Wicklow 200 the recording got very strange towards the end, a lot of gaps between data points and consequent very straight lines, although the unit seemed to have frozen so this might not have been related. I think the new colour ones fix this and allow saving of route data to a SD card, so you effectively have unlimited space.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

Agreed that the N95 isn't waterproof thats why I keep it in a zip lock bag in my rucksack. Obviously you can't see your speed or distance as you ride along but you could get a basic cycle computer for this information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement