Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adidas Half-Marathon Saturday

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Decided to go on a spur of the moment decision, did a 10 mile race 3 weeks ago and haven't really run since - finished in 1hr 41 mins! Pretty happy with that although I would like to know how good I could have finished if I had trained properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Would anyone be able to explain the various headings shown in the results page that was linked earlier..
    Pos.
    Pos. MW
    Pos. CAT

and what the difference between
    Time and RealTime
    is?

As an aside, did anyone else think that the water stations were very bad? Giving out cups seemed absurd to me, trying to drink and stay running is impossible, and there was no way I was stopping.

My first half-marathon and managed a 1:47, with a bit of difficulty. Want to to a sub 4 hour full, but am doubtful now. The back half of the park and those steady inclines killed my legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

Hi all,
    Yeah really enjoyed it I have to say. Got a bit hot towards the end. I got round in 1hr 49mins which considering I was out for 3 weeks with vertigo I was happy with.

Yeah Peckem I completely agree. Why didn’t they just hand out bottles of water? I found that they just couldn’t poor the water out fast enough and I had to wait for them to pore it out!!! And one small cup just wasn’t enough considering the weather conditions but I wasn’t going to wait for them to pore me two cups. Do they hand out bottles at the marathon? I hope so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Found it really hard the run...just not in the zone on the day. Really no energy and not enough fluids on board.
    Really very depressed and sore after the run with my performance but that is training and my goal and objective is on the 29th October!
    Back on the training schedule tonight, feeling energized and looking forward to getting out running again. Hoping to do 1hr 49 on Saturday and came in 1hr 56, forced to walk the last part of the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

1st half marathon down and last run before the marathon.
    Was caught badly for stamina after 11 miles as I went out to hit 1:55.

Hit 11 mile marker in 1:41 and was feeling ok but the thighs refused the hills after that, stumbled across in 2:07 but I was happier to go out and try to get the two hours to see where I stood.

Only running 6 months so happy out to cross each obstacle as I come to it.
    Invested in some gel (for LSR) and glucosamine to aid the recovery, onwards and upwards to the big one now.

35 days and counting.

P.S. I've never seen so many ambulances at once in my life, 3 at the corner before 10 miles, two around 12, one at finish and one coming down hill from college afterwards, scary stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Done it in 1:58. Happy enough with that. Took my time to set my pace for the marathon. It was very hot on the day and I agree that the water stations were a joke. There was a couple of people collapsing. Some guy did just in front of me around the 11 -12 mile mark. Luckily he was just in front of an ambulance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I didn't break any records on Saturday. I was hoping to beat my time in the Longford 1/2 marathon but ended up being 30 secs slower. I put it down to being off form on the day. I didn't have a problem with the water stations as I would come to a complete stop and down 2 cups of water, was better than spilling it all over myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

Really struggled to do this as ive missed a couple of weeks training so delighted I finished in 1.59. Race winner passed me out, that was a sight to be hold, amazing scene, he was like a race horse, inspiriational stuff really, a good min or too ahead of the next guy after 8miles or so. Never tried the Gels, what does you make of them ?, almost seem like a hassle to me. All systems go now for the marathon. Man that is gonna be tough !! anyone know when the photos that were taken will be up ?

Realy struggled to do this as ive missed a couple of weeks training so delighted I finished in 1.59. Race winner passed me out, that was a sight to be hold, amazing scene, he was like a race horse, inspiriational stuff really, a good min or too ahead of the next guy after 8miles or so. Never tried the Gels, what does you make of them ? All systems go the marathon now. Man that is gonna be tough !! anyone know when the photos that were taken will be up ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kerry123

Never ran any distance over 7-8 miles in my life before last saturday's half-marathon. Going well for about 10 miles but climb at 10.5 miles really killed my legs:( . Finished in 1h 35mins though which isn't bad.

Feel really drained since race....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Disclaimer: I wasn't actually at the event...

But I have run plenty of races, and organised a few myself in the past.

I just cannot understand the complaints about the water.
    If there was plenty of water [and nobody was complaining about lack of water], then the organisers did all they can.

If you cannot take enough water from a cup as you run.. then that is YOUR problem.
    Slow down or stop, get the fluids in, and keep going.

Yeah, bottles are easier to drink from, but there are two issues:
    1. Cost
    2. Safety, [in the form of people stepping on caps/bottles etc]
    Neither are huge issues, I'll admit.

But if people are getting dehydrated, when they don't have the good sense to take on enough water, then they are idiots.
    Yep, I said IDIOTS.

Maybe I missed some important points, as I wasn't there, and if somebody could point out exactly what went wrong, it would be good to hear.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

In response to aburke and water issues as I understand in the half marathon on Sat in the park:

a) First water station was not untill around mile 5. From my experience in these kind of races, water stations begin at around mile 3 and are positioned every 5 km or so after that. Conditions in the Park were warm on Saturday
    b) No water! - At some water stations competitors had to wait for water to be poured from large bottles into the cups, which is something you do not really want during the race.

1. Cost
    Neither are huge issues, I'll admit

I am glad you think the cost is not a huge issue, we may see them in events like connemara in 2008?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I myself didn't have a problem at the water stations but I think using cost as an excuse is a joke when there was a couple of thousand people in the race at €20 a head.
    I do hate them plastic cups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kerry123

I noticed alot of photographers at the race on saturday. Anybody know where/how competitors can get some of those snaps?

The car park was worse than the m50 in the college afterwards, bit of a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Would anyone be able to explain the various headings shown in the results page that was linked earlier..

pos: your final position
    pos cat: in your category
    pos mw: position at the mid point

the timings are from the start of the race at 10.13 a.m till the finish time on the clock (time) and your actual time measured by the chip (real time). So if you are very far back in the queue to start your time would be much greater than your real chip time.

aburke wrote:
    If you cannot take enough water from a cup as you run.. then that is YOUR problem. Slow down or stop, get the fluids in, and keep going.

Alan

I appreciate the response and I'm sorry if my comments have started a bit a bad feeling around this thread. The day itself was wonderful, and I understand the need to balance safety (re. stepping on bottles) and the needs of the runners. Ultimately the day is about the runners and ensuring they are catered for. I just thought cups wasn't in the interests of me as a runner, I'm not going to speak for others in this case.

But having to stop to take on sufficient fluid does not seem fair to me. And you would ultimately have to stop with the cup if you wanted to take on a good amount. At least with a bottle you can carry it for a while and take your time somewhat. So next time I will bring my own supply, just to save anyone suggesting it! ;):)

P.S Thanks tenandtracer for clearing that up also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

I appreciate the response and I'm sorry if my comments have started a bit a bad feeling around this thread. The day itself was wonderful, and I understand the need to balance safety (re. stepping on bottles) and the needs of the runners.

But having to stop to take on sufficient fluid does not seem fair to me. And you would ultimately have to stop with the cup if you wanted to take on a good amount. At least with a bottle you can carry it for a while and take your time somewhat. So next time I will bring my own supply, just to save anyone suggesting it! ;):)

P.S Thanks tenandtracer for clearing that up also

Thats what I did tullachBui. I always run with a water bottle for any distances over 10 miles. Incidentally I have done other races both here in Ireland and overseas where they hand out small plastic bottles and its definitely a winner with runners! I bypassed all the water stops and got round in 1 hr 37 so was pleased enough. It was a great day for it and I think with the heat alot of people were not properly prepared i.e hydrated before the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Liam3494

Personally, I prefer the plastic cups rather than bottles. My choice I accept. I like to squeeze the cup, sip a few while I'm still running, then drop the cup.

It is something that has to be practised to become easy to do, and I did see some people waiting at the first tables for water to be poured, but experience will be gained and those that struggled to get their water will realise that if they moved down the line a bit they would get some.

I would like to praise the volunteers who helped out in getting the water stations and everything else running OK - well, OK, maybe the car parking was a little chaotic coming out - I actually think the Garda could be somewhat to blame here as they should have been more alert to the traffic problem and have a Garda on duty directing traffic out of the car park - One Way would have been sensible too.

Ran 1:48:58 (or 59 according to our Italian Site!) - Not going to quibble over a second :)

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

aburke wrote:

1. Cost
    Neither are huge issues, I'll admit.

I disagree with those two points:

1) Cost - If the entry fee is not enough to cover the cost of supplying a few of those small water bottles, then maybe it should be increased by the one euro needed to cover giving each participant 2 of them during the race

2) Safety - They manage to hand out bottles in plenty of other races (Achill for example). There is more danger from people collapsing with dehydration than there is of people tripping or slipping on plastic caps (bottles could be handed out with the caps removed).

Yes runners should make sure they are properly hydrated going into a race, but we all know that many don't properly prepare, and that those who are struggling should stop at aid stations and take on board more fluid....however organisers have a responsibility to ensure runners' safety for those that don't.

The cynic in me would suggest that the real reason is to do with sponsorship, and that 2 litre bottles is all that Ballygowan were willing to supply. Did Tipperary Water sponsor Achill??.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 clonsillarunner

Could I get some advise. I set myself the target of running the half marathon last saturday which I did in 1:41. I had no intention of doing the Marathon proper. However I felt great at the end of the 13 and had no problems with the hills. I just took it easy and enjoyed myself. My question is , could I now reasonably expect to try the marathon. I feel I could have done another lap on Saturday had the need arisen. I would appreicate some advise. 13 is the most I have ever run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

Could I get some advise. I set myself the target of running the half marathon last saturday which I did in 1:41. I had no intention of doing the Marathon proper. However I felt great at the end of the 13 and had no problems with the hills. I just took it easy and enjoyed myself. My question is , could I now reasonably expect to try the marathon. I feel I could have done another lap on Saturday had the need arisen. I would appreicate some advise. 13 is the most I have ever run.

While it is a huge jump from the 13 miles to 26, its is not beyond you at this stage to get ready for the marathon with almost 5 weeks to go. I suggest you get online and have a look at training schedules for the last 5 weeks, bearing in mind that you will need to get one long run of approx 20 miles in asap before you start tapering off! Your half marathon time is very respectable and if the legs and lungs are willing, you just need to get the mind in the right shape for the day!!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

Peckham wrote:
    I disagree with those two points:

The cynic in me would suggest that the real reason is to do with sponsorship, and that 2 litre bottles is all that Ballygowan were willing to supply. Did Tipperary Water sponsor Achill??.....

I think you've hit the nail on the head here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

Hi,

Can't believe the times you guys do! But really, can you slow down?! There's nothing worse than getting lapped - and it's really starting to annoy me! ;)

Anyone know if there are any photos up anywhere?

Cheers,

Geoff

ps. 2h15mins. Jealous?!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

geoff29 wrote:

Anyone know if there are any photos up anywhere?

should be here soon -
    http://www.asiphoto.net/recent_events.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Note of caution - whilst this can be done (and many have done it), it comes with a massive risk that you have a really bad marathon, not finish and then be reluctant to have another go at it. It's a real big risk. There is a reason why most plans are 16-18 weeks.

That said, in adopting a programme I'd recommend not taking the last 5 weeks of a marathon programme as 2 or 3 weeks of this will be taper, which you can't really afford (although you will need some form of taper).

Would maybe recommend looking at one of the training schedules for multiple marathons and using that. Try adopting the six week plan here (definitely replacing the longest run with one of 18-20 miles).

Let us know what you decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

photos are now up on asiphoto.net :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 clonsillarunner

did a 17 mile run aprox today in 2 hr 45 with some hills in it. longest distance and time that i have ever run. i intend todo 3 hours next weekend and then leave it at that going back to some 6-10 mile runs in the lead up.

i predumped water around the course and would have died several deaths if i had not.

loads of people in last weeks t shirts out and about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement