Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

West Link toll up to €2 in Jan

Options
  • 21-09-2007 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this, its gone up again, 10cent this time http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0921/toll.html?rss

And if your vehicle is not pre-tagged by August next year for barrier free tolling, charge will be €3 a pop, hardly unfair when taxpayers money is used to buy the thing in the first place like the port tunnel.

I don't use the bridge much but i'd imagine the future charges will not go down well!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Will anyone do anything about it apart from bitch and moan though?

We need a revolution, kick the Government out on the pavement, let them know they are dispensable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fcukers. Can't wait until it's gone, shaggin road block.

The-Rigger wrote:

I'm right behind you

/marches to tollbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Thats absolutely disgracefull and infuriating :mad: . The M1 toll is only 1.70 FFS, how can they justify 2€ for the toll BRIDGE. what improvements have they made to the bridge?

We're getting screwed sideways here ... and every one is gonna bend over and take it

Not me, I'm being pro-active. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

C_Breeze wrote:
    Thats absolutely disgracefull and infuriating :mad: . The M1 toll is only 1.70 FFS, how can they justify 2€ for the toll BRIDGE. what improvements have they made to the bridge?

We're getting screwed sideways here ... and every one is gonna bend over and take it

It's a concept called inflation Billy Oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's handier to lob a €2 coin at times than to have €1.90 in change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's to pay for the rest of the M50 improvements.

So then are we paying ridiculous road tax rates on our cars for??

the toll bride is called a toll BRIDGE because it was meant to pay for the bridge .. not some improvemnts on a road ... thats why we have ROAD tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

i normally just throw €2 into the machine anyway if i dont have change, or sometimes it's easier to just pick up a €2 coin while driving than trying to count out change :D

but i definitely agree the bridge has easily been paid for by now (probably several times over), unfortunately the toll is here to stay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I thought this was being payed for by the additional 2 toll booths getting added on the northside of it?

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    I thought this was being payed for by the additional 2 toll booths getting added on the northside of it?

WHAT!!???

Explain!...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

C_Breeze wrote:
    So then are we paying ridiculous road tax rates on our cars for??

the toll bride is called a toll BRIDGE because it was meant to pay for the bridge .. not some improvemnts on a road ... thats why we have ROAD tax

We don't pay any ROAD tax. We pay a MOTOR tax that goes into general government revenue to pay for hospitals, schools, thousands of underworked civil servants etc and then with the bit left over they send some over for roads

What I'd like to know is who is going to be running this new toll scheme. And will registering involve an ongoing charge if you go for number plate only, as I assume the EUR2 toll will involve a service charge like easy pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The-Rigger wrote:

No, we've already proven we are pussies looking at the last election.

It would be nice if it was true. Like the Toll was there in the first place simply to pay for the building of the M50? Will they take it down once the improvement costs are paid off or reduce the costs? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

This is a fcking joke (hello, new commuter via the toll bridge here!). Mind you, they're still charging everyone to drive through while the whole bridge is in sh!t with roadworks, so I suppose we should be used to be laughed at by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

The owners of the Toll Bridge have no financial input into the M50 construction. This is being funded by the NRA and the local authorities. I can't wait to see how they will get people with foreign registered cars, or those who have not registedred cars in their names, it wil be the same problem as enforcing the penalty points system. I think its time to invest in revolving registration plates must get onto 'Q' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think it is in Austria where you pay an annual fee of around €70 which allows you to use the motorways.

You get a sticker for your car.

If you are caught on the motorway without this you are in trouble. Not sure of the fine is.

I am not sure if they have motor tax also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why don't more people use easy pass. this would relieve a lot of the congestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I use easy-pass myself it's a complete rip-off.
    They deduct the money from your bank account up front
    so they can load a 'credit' onto your easy-pass tag.

No discount for frequent users and they charge you a monthly
    maintenance charge for the privilege of improving the traffic
    flow on their congested bridge (at the same time as reducing
    their cash/coin collection costs) whilst they earn interest
    on any unused 'credit' on your tag.

Great system (if you're the toll-operator).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,392 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    why don't more people use easy pass

As Gran Hermano pointed out, easy pass is more expensive to use than paying cash. I strongly feel that is wrong. The savings NTR makes by only employing a cheap computer vs a human being at the toll booth should more than off set the extra expense of the "administration and insurance of your tag" :rolleyes:

As soon as easy pass costs the same or is cheaper than paying cash, I'll sign up for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I didn't realise there was a maintanance fee. Thought you just had to top it up.
    they should waive the €1 per month fee if you use it 15 times a month or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also there is €12.70 credit on it that you can't use. As soon as your tag hits €12.70 they top it up by your credit card so you can't run it to zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

****. The provos should have put the last of their semtex under the booths before they decommisioned...I'm sure it would have secured SF a few more seats at the last election :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Bond-007 wrote:
    Also there is €12.70 credit on it that you can't use. As soon as your tag hits €12.70 they top it up by your credit card so you can't run it to zero.

It actually tops up at €20.
    I've got 2, one for both cars, and they top by €80 each time.
    I was pretty pissed off as this wasn't explained very well before registering.
    Robbing baxtards, but unfortunatly we don't really have a choice.
    I have stopped using the M50 unless absolutely necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Trampas wrote:
    I think it is in Austria where you pay an annual fee of around €70 which allows you to use the motorways.

You get a sticker for your car.

If you are caught on the motorway without this you are in trouble. Not sure of the fine is.

I am not sure if they have motor tax also.
    I think that's Switzerland. It's a lot of money if you're just passing through!

Austria and Hungary have motorway toll stickers.

Austria is €70 per year, €22 for 2 months or €7.60 for 10 days. Infringements of the toll regulations will be punished with an additional charge of €400 to €4000. :eek:

Hungary is €145 for 1 year, €17 per month, €10 a week or €4.70 for 4 days. Fine of €60 for non compliance. Video enforced.

I haven't driven in any of those countries in a while. What I do remember about the Swiss system is that there was no option to pay for any period under a year.

You are correct, you have to pay for 1 year. Allthough there are scams on the go for the swiss stickers.
    Cut a bit of clingfilm the same size as the vignette and stick the vignette to that and then stick the whole thing to the windscreen. This way you can share it between cars, friends and family. Apparently a lot of Swiss do that.

I'd never imagined the Swiss would be that bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anan1 wrote:
    I think that's Switzerland. It's a lot of money if you're just passing through!
    No the above poster is correct, it is Austria, I drove to Salzberg from Munich without a sticker, I never bothered getting one as it was a one off trip. I never knew about the sticker until I was actually back in Munich ;)

Advertisement