Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battered Mars Bar

• 21-09-2007 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Was in me local chipper last night..........a few teenagers walked in and the 5 of them all ordered "Battered Mars Bar"........i asked the owner what are they like.........he said he would never eat one but at the moment they are his best sellers...............anyone heard or tried one of these???

To me it sounds like a heart attack in a bag...........will defo get one tonight so:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

They are great but eat them while they are still hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Ugh - now that is one thing I could not eat :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

But a Mars bar is perfect as is. The only way of improving it is making it King Size. Thanks to the PC brigade we now have to settle for two queen size Mars duo's instead. It's just not the same..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They originated in Glasgow, where they will batter anything.

Did you not hear the Sotland fans singing "We'll deep fry your croissants" to the French last week?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ah feck, this thread made me move my ass as far as the snack machine to grab a mars bar and the machine is practically empty. Plain biscuits and torilla's is all that's left :( What do I do, do I wait the 90 mins till kebab time or do I take the elevator down to the shop (it's 12 floors though, lot of effort :()....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

I've seen a Glasgow chipper sell a quarter-pounder with cheese+bun, with a slice of pizza wrapped around it ... and the whole lot was battered and deep fried. It was called "the Belly Buster" * :eek:

I believe that Glasgow has an unusually high rate of heart disease, compared to the rest of Scotland. :confused:

*it tasted awful ... really, really awful.

trout wrote:
    I was in a chipper in Glasgow some years ago. They sold a quarter-pounder in a bun, with a slice of pizza wrapped around in ... and the whole lot was battered and deep fried. It was called "the Belly Buster". :eek:

I believe that Glasgow has an unusually high rate of heart disease, compared to the rest of Scotland. :confused:

More importantly, was the belly buster in any way tasty? Sounds like a dodgy combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

They're quite good, I had one in Cinelli's on North Fredrick St once but I was feelin pretty shíte after it! Not the sorta thing you'd eat after a night's boozin!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

a serious once in a lifetime experience. you'd be sick as a pig if you eat them regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'v never had one but heard they were good.

A quick way to make a mars bar much nicer is throw it in the microwave for a few seconds. yum! :)

• Advertisement

trout wrote:
    I've seen a Glasgow chipper sell a quarter-pounder with cheese+bun, with a slice of pizza wrapped around it ... and the whole lot was battered and deep fried. It was called "the Belly Buster" * :eek:

*it tasted awful ... really, really awful.
    highest heart disease rate in Europe apparantly.

Was it on here that I saw the pictures of the guys making a Big Mac with fries Pizza.

Jaysus, I'm starving, I'm off for an indian at lunch time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

tried it
    It was actually served to me in a restaurant in Vancouver with icecream.

I felt I was missing out no getting it in a brown bag

I prefer battered sausage tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I prefer battered sausage tbh

Well I ain't battering my sausage for any girl :eek:

Mairt wrote:
    Well I ain't battering my sausage for any girl :eek:

Mine's usually battered after the tenth time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Kebab pizza is the best a gut can get. Well tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

God, I was so tempted to make a very bad taste joke, but don't fancy a banning. So Mad i could die.

Sounds like a ready made heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

might have to get my self a battered doner kebab after the match and a few pints later now me self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

For the classy version:

In Acapulco on South Great George's Street they offer a dessert of a chopped Mars bar with sliced banana wrapped in a sweet tortilla parcel, deep-fried and served with cream.

Mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Battered Snicker FTW Much more tastier than a Mars bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

There's a chipper on Townsend St. in Dublin that does all things battered, snicker, mars, twix or they'll do a curly wurly which is lower in fat!! But if you want any food item battered, they'll do it if you bring it in!

Classy joint!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

flanzer wrote:
    There's a chipper on Townsend St. in Dublin that does all things battered, snicker, mars, twix or they'll do a curly wurly which is lower in fat!! But if you want any food item battered, they'll do it if you bring it in!

Classy joint!

Bloody hell, a battered Curly Wurly. Now THAT could be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

what you lot call 'battered' we call .... nothing at all - since to get something deep fried in batter kind of goes without saying. The health board tried to get chippies (not chippers you irish fools you!) to stop doing deep fried pizza as Scotland and central Scotland in particular has one of the highest rates of coronary related deaths in the world. Cancers and all things 'heart-attack' are quite high so....

As for the deep fried mars bar, dont believe all you lot hear. It might have originated in Glasgow but much the same as the stories behind the haggis (the haggis being a small furry animal with four legs and two of them shorter than the other two so it can run round hills quicker) - it was invented, to my knowledge, to sort out the tourists from the locals.

needless to say the novelty value of it caught on and now everyone that hears about it ACTUALLY THINKS we eat that sort of rubbish back home. Im sure the odd fool will try it with his buckie, but naw lads - its not a common dish - its just for you lot.

odonnell wrote:
    what you lot call 'battered' we call .... nothing at all - since to get something deep fried in batter kind of goes without saying. The health board tried to get chippies (not chippers you irish fools you!) to stop doing deep fried pizza as Scotland and central Scotland in particular has one of the highest rates of coronary related deaths in the world. Cancers and all things 'heart-attack' are quite high so....

As for the deep fried mars bar, dont believe all you lot hear. It might have originated in Glasgow but much the same as the stories behind the haggis (the haggis being a small furry animal with four legs and two of them shorter than the other two so it can run round hills quicker) - it was invented, to my knowledge, to sort out the tourists from the locals.

needless to say the novelty value of it caught on and now everyone that hears about it ACTUALLY THINKS we eat that sort of rubbish back home. Im sure the odd fool will try it with his buckie, but naw lads - its not a common dish - its just for you lot.

you Sassanach's don't have Haggis, that's only for the highlanders. You lot are content with your fish suppers and Iron Bru ;):D

Chippies, that's more like it:D

CORRECT!

but incorrect at the same time Fred - we batter haggis in the chippie. Haggis supper - mmmmmmmmmm

One thing i love about chippies in Dublin though - when you get a fish here, you really get a fish...christ my mouth is watering just thinking about it. (and they sell irn bru in dunnes..... oh dear, tonights dinner is out the window)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Enough of this chippie nonsense you two, you're in our country now so you'll call it a chipper like everyone else or feck off back to chippie-land! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Reading this thread is making me gag for a bag o' good old chipper chips soaked in vinegar! Oh sweet jesus being a poor student aint all its cracked up to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

mmm big bag of chips covered in salt and viniger and a big peice of battered cod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Battered Haggis FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ruthiedv

I used to live in Glasga for years and all the battering and deep frying really does go on,not invented for tourists at all.I think it caught on from the whole pakora fetish..mmmmmmmmm
    odonnell next you'll be trying to tell us the sausage there isn't square:D

i didnt say the battering and deep frying doesnt go on mate - noooo.... as long as ive been alive a fish supper or a haggis supper was a good friday night feed.

i said the mars bar was a tourist invention....and it was - so there. :P I suspect it was done for a bit of craic and it caught on in the Scottish chippies as everything else does there - "we are famous for something - lets make it look as though we've been doin it for years and claim it as a great scottish invention!" no matter how ridiculous! do you REALLY think someone would choose to eat a deep fried mars bar in ANY part of the world? Well....maybe here hehe! Nah it was a long lifed fad unfortunately.

Like i said - the health board asked that the chippies stop serving things like fried pizza etc, to try to bring down the rate of heart disease since we have one of the highest rates in the world. A lot of the chippies around glasgow (where im actually from!) have stopped as per the health boards efforts, but like i said earlier - deep frying and battering is the norm, not something you need to ask for specifically like you do here.

how i yearn for a roll on square sausage. if it wasnt for foot and mouth id have a freezer full of the stuff let me tell yae. what a cruel thing to mention to an ex-pat who doesnt get home as often as he should! you lot with your crap bread, and your regular sausages, and your daft shaped rolls, and your "chippers" - yaes dont know youre alive!

Ah,you must like those kinda burnt rolls they do there;)
    My sis was over staying with me and went out to get brekkie,when she came back she said; I got sausages,but you hafta roll your own:D :D
    They are appalling greasy,dogfood-flavoured things. What I miss is the indian food and Brannigans roast beef and mustard crisps.And people asking me to show them my beard:D :D Romantic Glaswegian devils;)

awwwww well-fired rolls ... well-fired rolls.

how i miss them.

every now and then i go home and visit the family and my aunt always has a block of square sausage (lorne sausage is the actual name for anyone looking to buy them from Asda or Sainsbury up in N.I), and half a dozen rolls ready for me waking up in the morning : Its one of the best things about going home.

Another thing i miss from home which im AMAZED you dont have here is a Greggs bakers - or Lightbodies, or... ya know? A high street baker who sells sausage rolls, bridies, cakes, and all things baked. The closest thing ive seen to a high street baker here is a spar with a servery counter!

As for Glaswegians - aye, i sympathise with you there. I had an american 'friend' who visited glasgow once and she immediately commented on the common approach of the everyday eejits - show's yur berd, geez a swatch, etc etc :) (ring any bells?)

Geez a swatch,remember it well:D
    It's quite endearing really,the sheer honesty:D
    It always cracked me up the way men were men there and asking for anything chocolate in a newsagent was seen as a sign of weakness..."AHEM!! Eyyy...gees one a they crunchie things hen" Morto,they were.

Advertisement