Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone commute to/From Dublin?

Options
  • 21-09-2007 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what i can expect from traffic at 6pm this evening heading down to Wexford? I know the new bypass works wonders but is their still hold ups? what delays should i expect?

Reason i ask, want to get down for the Ireland match :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Heard on the radio this morning that there would be long delays because of work at the Ferrycarrig bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Thankfully i dont have to go near Ferrycarrig il take the coast road from Gorey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

Once you get past Sandyford on M50 it will move at a steady pace, but it usually slows up at the section between Beehive and Jack Whites, especially near the Tap pub. Its only temp thought as it gets back to a steady pace after that. With new by pass open , I did D24 to Ballyart , between Ballygarret and Kilmuckridge in 70 min, but on a friday evening I'd allow 90ish min. Plenty of time to make the French match

Yours
    secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thankfully i dont have to go near Ferrycarrig il take the coast road from Gorey
    Why would you take the coast road? Would not Ballycanew/Ballyedmond /Castlebridge be a better route?

bmaxi wrote:
    Why would you take the coast road? Would not Ballycanew/Ballyedmond /Castlebridge be a better route?

Sorry thats what i call the coast raod compared to the ferns/Enniscorthy way,ya i always use Ballycanew way.

well if i can do it in under 2 hours id be happy, thanks Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yeh, should be a grand spin if you do take the coast road, note, you have to drive through gorey to acdess thwe coast road, otherwise, you just end up getting off later and coming back around and messing aroind basically

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I do it from Wexford town to north wicklow, 61 miles 3-4 days/week.

I set out at 6:45 and can get there by 8:00 if theres no seroius holdups, coming home is worse and today i was nearing 2hrs as the roadwords on ferrycarrig means people are coming the other way causing hold ups at ferrybank. But i normally do long days, till 9pm so i normally get back in 75 minutes or quicker.

As regards 6pm this evening i'd bet my life on 20 minutes at least delay where the motorway converges into 1 at the bee hive, short delay after that straight bit as people seem terrified of that bend and up to 30 minutes delay in ferrybank.
    Seeing as it quater past 7 im sure im a great help:D

timmywex wrote:
    yeh, should be a grand spin if you do take the coast road, note, you have to drive through gorey to acdess thwe coast road, otherwise, you just end up getting off later and coming back around and messing aroind basically

i dont get ya, you take the courtown road off and after 3-4 roundabouts your on the ballycanew road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

well, you can get onto it but what i mean is you cant go directly from it, you have to get off on the courttown road and start to head back on badish roads

timmywex wrote:
    well, you can get onto it but what i mean is you cant go directly from it, you have to get off on the courttown road and start to head back on badish roads

theres no baddish roads, just get off at the courtown exit and instead of heading for Courtown head for Kilmuckridge/ Ballycannew, 3-4 round abouts, and maybe 2-3 min driving until you get onto the wexford road.

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote:
    theres no baddish roads, just get off at the courtown exit and instead of heading for Courtown head for Kilmuckridge/ Ballycannew, 3-4 round abouts, and maybe 2-3 min driving until you get onto the wexford road.

Ya i just come off at Courtown exit and head for Ballycanew! dont go near Gorey.....

Anyway......made it in plenty of time on Friday.
    Left after 5.30pm...got stuck for about5-10 mins at the turn off for Bray as traffic was one way for road works, another 10 at the Beehive Merge and then it was grand the whole way down was down shortly after 7 in the town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I'm considering moving to Gorey and continue working in Dublin city. Work starts at 08.00 and I am wondering whether I could manage the commute everyday or not... Perhaps drive to Greystones and get the DART from there?

ian_m wrote: »
    I'm considering moving to Gorey and continue working in Dublin city. Work starts at 08.00 and I am wondering whether I could manage the commute everyday or not... Perhaps drive to Greystones and get the DART from there?

I drive regularly to Tallaght, takes about an hour. Greystones is about 40 mins, Which will be reduced shortly when the new underpass at Kilpedder is complete. There is a huge free park and ride about 10 mins walk from Greystones station and you can get timetables free at the station. There is also a train from Gorey at 6a.m. but you´would be pushing it to make Dublin for 8.The first Bus Eireann bus doesnt get to Dublin until 9 although there may be private buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Can anyone guide a typical morning / evening commute time for this journey please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Sinnerboy I'd have thought you'd do Gorey to Dun Laoghaire in about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Supertech wrote: »
    Sinnerboy I'd have thought you'd do Gorey to Dun Laoghaire in about 90 minutes.

It very much depends what time you leave at and the time of the year. Gorey to dun Laoghaire would be just over an hour if you travelled during traffic free times. I go Gorey to Dublin northside every day and I do it in 75 minutes without breaking speed limits (62 miles door to door) but I leave at 5.30 in the morning when traffic is very quiet and I get mostly green lights from Loughlinstown to Glasnevin. Do it at 8am and it will take two hours and sometimes a bit. I avoid the M50 because it doesn't save time.
    Coming home then, it will most likely take you between 60 and 90 minutes depending what time you leave. Glasnevin to Gorey on a normal day will take up to two hours if I leave at rush hour but leaving at 7pm will take me about 80 to 90 minutes. From Dun Laoghaire, I'm not too sure because I'm not familiar with rush hour traffic but I would imagine that the 80 to 90 minutes at five o'clock would be pretty accurate. An hour would cover it outside of rush hour.
    During periods when schools are closed, such as the summer, there is a marked difference as some people change their travel times once the school runs are stopped so the benefit of this less traffic affects times at all stages of the day. During the summer I tend to travel a bit later and take a break from the 5.30 start.
    Is this too much detail? Are you considering a regular commute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Am soon moving to the duncannon road (3 miles outside wex town) and will be travelleing to Naas most days. I reckon I'll do it in 90 mins - how does that sound?

Bazbu wrote: »
    Am soon moving to the duncannon road (3 miles outside wex town) and will be travelleing to Naas most days. I reckon I'll do it in 90 mins - how does that sound?

It depends on which model Sikorski you use. :)

Enniscorthy, Bunclody, Carlow and Castledermot can all be major headaches depending on time of day, Bunclody in particular at the moment. My advice would be, drive it off peak and then add half an hour. Even off peak 90 mins would be pushing it. I used to drive Duncormick to Rathcoole and that was 2.5 hours before we had the volumes of traffic we have today.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Sorry, just noticed your going to Naas and not Rathcoole, you should be even more certain of approx 90 mins then

I work in Citywest just off the Naas road. Monday and Friday at home in Wexford town, in Dublin Tues/Wed/Thurs. I usually leave at around 6:30 in work by 8:15, steady driving, rarely takes longer.

If i leave by 4:30 i am home by 6:15easy enough, any later and it will push to 2 hoursm once again it is rarely over this.

Traffic moves well when no road works, the odd lorry or tractor on some of the back roads but its only ever a few minutes.

I go from Whiterock in Wexford, Enniscorthy, Bunclody, Tullow, Castledermot.

I would say leaving early enough in the morning you will be hitting Rathcoole in 90 mins or shortly after.

The new motorway extension from kilcullen will be a great help as well details can be found here

Let me know if you need any more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

According to GoogleMaps, Wexford to Naas is 122 km and will take 1hr 49 minutes (I've noticed GoogleMaps always is conservative on its time estimates so you should be able to beat that time).

The route is via Enniscorthy, Tullow, Castledermot.

When the new Motorway (Killcullen to Carlow) opens later this year you would be better off continuing on the N80 to Carlow and join the M9 from there - forget about Tullow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mike75

Hi there. New to Boards.ie. I know this is doing things the wrong way round, but I work in Gorey and am seriously considering moving to Dublin this September to get my social life back on track as it were. I would like to hear from people doing likewise...their experience of the commute and how they go about it. Anybody interested in or already engaged in a car pool from Dublin to Gorey? Many thanks. mike

Advertisement