Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a screw

Options
  • 21-09-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

...Ahem! One of the screws came out of my cleat, fairly glueing me onto the pedals the other day. I can buy a spare set of cleats (which I'll need at some stage anyway) but it seems to be impossible to get the screw alone. They're spd cleats. I've tried a whole pile of hardware shops (never seen 'em! - and thought it was funny to have a screw in the shoe) and cyclelogical, cycleways and a few smaller shops.

This got me thinking - what if I'd been on tour or up a mountain (my mtb has clipless both sides, this was my commuting bike which is half-half). Okay I hadn't tightened the cleats properly but I always like to have spare everythings in my toolbag. Any good places for random parts queries like this? Has anyone seen these screws used elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'd be surprised if they're not a standard M6 or something like that, which you should be able to get fairly handily in a hardware store. You may need to cut them down to shorten them though. Had a quick look on wiggle and CRC but nothing obvious. wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

yeah, but smaller, maybe m4 but they're likely to be countersunk.

best bet is to call in to the mechanic at your lbs and ask them have they any spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

actually i screwed one screw tight and rode he 7 miles home after this happened to me mind you i've been using spds and look shoes for years so got loads of screws in the toolbox. mind you chain reaction sell cleats for 14 euro

Advertisement