Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop + UCD Software

• 21-09-2007 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭

If you buy a laptop yourself ie not from the UCD laptop programme is it possible to get the Ucd lisence of MS Word etc on your laptop?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Not legally, no.

However a very good free replacement for MS word for most users is OpenOffice.org (available online at http://www.openoffice.org/), that will probably do the drick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Students arent entitled to get MS Office for free :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

For info on student software deals see:

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itucd/software/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Microsoft sell software direct to Students at a discount of like something up to 85% percent. Just have a look around their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Do you have to register your laptop or something like that? I thought I heard something about that and using the wireless network

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Not for the wireless you don't. If you want to use the wired network (and you're an undergrad) you need to being your laptop to the IT centre and they will register the MAC address for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

www.software4students.ie

These sell genuine software to students of affiliated colleges (UCD is part of them) and a discount of up to 80%.

Can get standard office 2007 for bout 78euro (usually bout 150 in shops for student version!). And 98euro for office 2007 professional (more programs, cost up to 500euro in shops)

Open office have not used but have heard can be hassle with conversions all the time.

Hope this helps a bit. To be honest it hink students should be allowed free software if the college is using it but this is how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Don't waste your money on software, there's always a free alternative, sometimes one that's better. I used openoffice for all my essays and shít last semester and found it easily as good as microsoft office with a far more agreeable price.

Advertisement