Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biofuel - Biothanol E85 conversion kits

Options
  • 21-09-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience driving a FFV (Flex fuel Vehicle), whether it was bought new (Ford Focus FFV, SAAB etc...) but more particularly anyone who has experience with a car that had a conversion kit put in place. I've researched it a little but I'd like to hear first-hand of any experiences or problems. I understand that my mpg might be down compared to regular petrol and this is offset by the lower price of E85 Bioethanol so there is very little difference in economy of running between the 2 fuels at the present. I know Ford & Maxol have a partnership regarding biofuels to help promote it with more and more pumps for E85 being opened around the country.

Some of the sites I've looked at are:

www.greenfuels.co.uk

www.ecocar.ie

www.abcesso.com

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

pete4130 wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience driving a FFV (Flex fuel Vehicle), whether it was bought new (Ford Focus FFV, SAAB etc...) .......

Thanks,

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Drove a New Saab 9-3 1.8T BioPower last night. Not sure whether it was running on Petrol or E85 but it felt just like a normal Saab 9-3 1.8T to drive.

Scarily though the on board computer was reading 19.3L/100KM while stuck in town traffic :eek: I reset the OBC while on the M1 at a steady 100km/h and by the time I'd got to my destination (not far off the M-Way) it was down, but only to 9.4l/100KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

im using about 25% e85 75% 95ron petrol in my car with no modification. Runs well, better than on 95 alone. I was thining of getting one of the kits, got a lot of info from this site http://www.e85forum.com/

MY fuel economy is terrible but not much different from previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

I mistakenly put €20 euro of E85 into my Rover 620 (1995) and then added another 20 unleaded petrol. Ran just fine! I rang a few mechanics and then said that once it started I should be fine. I noticed though a black deposit near the exit of the exhaust on the side of the car. I watched the temp of engine and it all seemed fine. I do a lot of driving so I might look into the car conversion as the Rover eats and eats petrol.
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

willk there ever be a motor tax bracket for older cars converted to e85 do you think?

after all you're using a cleaner fuel and not having the carbon footprint of a new car to work off.??

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

But will it matter as the cost of tax is set at the engine capcity of your vehicle and not at what it uses in that capacity? So my 2 litre car will have tax based on a two litre petrol car regardless of what fuel it pumps?
    Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

R.O.R wrote: »
    Hi Pete,

Drove a New Saab 9-3 1.8T BioPower last night. Not sure whether it was running on Petrol or E85 but it felt just like a normal Saab 9-3 1.8T to drive.

Scarily though the on board computer was reading 19.3L/100KM while stuck in town traffic :eek: I reset the OBC while on the M1 at a steady 100km/h and by the time I'd got to my destination (not far off the M-Way) it was down, but only to 9.4l/100KM.

Oh?! That's worse than what I get on average on my 8 year old 2.0 LPT Saab 93, so what's the point?! I get around 9l/100km, with mixed town driving and motorway over long term (average over 1000km+)

Advertisement