Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, looking fo 46'' LCD

Options
  • 21-09-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am new to Ireland (moved week ago), and I would like to pick a 46’’ LCD in near future (2 weeks). I am thinking about getting this one from DID
    http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=LC46XD1E&subid=195
    My parents just purchased Sharp and looks very nice. Color not as bright as on some other models, but very sharp and clear picture. I would like a TV that will have less then 8 ms refresh reate, and I will be using 80 % laptop with it and DVD player (through HDMI). 20 % will be digital cable… I am a bit hesitant on purchasing online for such a thing and I am looking to spend less then 2300. I have just araived from Canada, so I am not that familiar with PAL ana SCART’s etc…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hey there!

Ok the XD1E is a nice screen and a pretty new (12 months or so??) model from Sharp and nicely priced!
    Cons: This model can suffer from Colour banding/brightness banding and or Power supply buzzing.
    However you may want to google those issues they may have sorted them out!

Every model can have its gremlins! and you could be unlucky to get one!
    Sony had suffered from a slight clouding e.g. on a pure black screen there might be some light leakage (end credits of film)! this I believe has been sorted on newer models e.g. 46W3000

You need:
    A 1080P Panel
    3 HDMI (many new models now come with) minimum 2
    (make sure the HDMI ports are version 1.3) this gives the higher coulour depth (e.g. Sony X.V Colour) theatre sync other features blah blah.
    Try and get Motion flow type tech see below for a little details of what it does.

The Sharp aint bad others to consider are:

Sony 46W3000 or (46X3500 (due for launch 8th October) 3,300 on Komplett)

Philips make some nice panels too with Natural Motion 100hz+
    These are also nice screens

Judging by your choice of model above your on the right track in terms of specs.

8ms is a minimum currently most are at this level of response e.g. Sony Samsung. Sharp are at the 6 and 3 ms stage whilst Philips are launching 5 new model this month with 2 or 3 ms response times which is a plus However.....
    Sonys Motioin Flow technology (which others use similar tech) turns 24 30 and 60 frame per second video into 100 or 120 frame per second by way of some super processing grunt! this result in a percieved refresh of imaging comparable to a panel operating at 0ms (Ive read it somewhere havent the link handy)
    Anyway so theres Motionflow explained and theres the great Bravio EX Pro engine and also you MUST HAVE 1080P capable display.
    Other points to look for are a0bit processing and 10bit panel I know for sure the 46X3500 has the 10bit pro and panel
    a 10bit panel will give you a HUGE increase in colour depth resulting in less or no percieved colour banding e.g. rings of colour where there is gradual colours e.g. a blue sky fading onto horizon etc skin tones and the like.

So ya check out the Sony 46W3000 (its a very new model only out 2 months if even) its 2600 from Komplett.ie
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Thanks for very detailed reply. I have found same type of problems described on other web sites and it definitely has its own flows. Probably each manufacture has its own pro’s and con’s and its problems. My parents purchased similar Sharp in Canada and they are very happy with it. I think that for this price range that I would like to invest in purchasing 46’’ LCD (up to 2300), this TV would be an excellent choice. I also like Samsungs so that could be another option.
    My second part question is after reading many discussions of purchasing in store vs online is what I should do? Should I just purchase it online, or just go in store and pick it up? My concerns are with dead pixels or other issues that could happen straight out of the box? Any suggestions?
    Thanks…

Advertisement