Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lost & found website, suggestions welcome

Options
  • 21-09-2007 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi, I just launched a new lost and found property website for people who have lost or found items in Ireland.

Any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.lost.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Hey,

Its a cool idea for a site in my opinion. I like the maps feature and the general layout is nice too.

That map might get really clogged up with points when the site grows.You should look into point clustering or whatever it's called.

Also, what does someone do if they have found an item?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

grahamor wrote:
    Hey,

Its a cool idea for a site in my opinion. I like the maps feature and the general layout is nice too.

That map might get really clogged up with points when the site grows.You should look into point clustering or whatever it's called.

Also, what does someone do if they have found an item?

Cheers, I will look up clustering. So far all items added have been in or around Dublin so it's getting quite crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Excellent - well done.

Looks like you're already filtering out 'virginity', was expecting tons along that line, though there's already a section on myface for 'that sort of thing'.

Garda Stations are also repositories for found items, CIE, Dublin bus etc also have rooms full of crap. You could put helpful links to these on, and also directly contact them to let their people on the ground know this site exists and can help them do their jobs - more free exposure.

Your local Gardai would have some good tips on a process for increasing certainty that the claimant of a found item is indeed the rightful owner, eg photo uploads for found items may be good for cheap dogs but a bad idea for expensive items. You could put a few tips explaining this on a seperate post found items page.

Also, you could get advertising for leashes and those radio tag collars for pets, are they all being taken up by aliens or what, the amount of missing bowlers there, omg to the power of wtf like.

Other potentially interested advertisers could be insurance companies, and whoever produces the lost tv series or sells there dvd's, maybe google adsense would manage that.

Good luck with it and well done again, that's the kind of enterprising spirit we need more of in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

democrates wrote:
    Excellent - well done.

Looks like you're already filtering out 'virginity', was expecting tons along that line, though there's already a section on myface for 'that sort of thing'.

Garda Stations are also repositories for found items, CIE, Dublin bus etc also have rooms full of crap. You could put helpful links to these on, and also directly contact them to let their people on the ground know this site exists and can help them do their jobs - more free exposure.

Your local Gardai would have some good tips on a process for increasing certainty that the claimant of a found item is indeed the rightful owner, eg photo uploads for found items may be good for cheap dogs but a bad idea for expensive items. You could put a few tips explaining this on a seperate post found items page.

Also, you could get advertising for leashes and those radio tag collars for pets, are they all being taken up by aliens or what, the amount of missing bowlers there, omg to the power of wtf like.

Other potentially interested advertisers could be insurance companies, and whoever produces the lost tv series or sells there dvd's, maybe google adsense would manage that.

Good luck with it and well done again, that's the kind of enterprising spirit we need more of in this country.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions democrates. I have already started getting in touch with a number of institutions to make them aware of the site. The carraige office, CIE, Aircoach, Irish Rail and a lot of big pubs/clubs in the city. Haven't thought too much about adsense as I'm not too interested about making money from the site but I might consider it at a later date. The insurance company advertising is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Interesting idea

I'd do something with the page titles so that they're a bit more meaningful - it would also help with search engine traffic

democrates has covered most of the monetisation angles :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 WeeDiddly

KJF wrote:
    Hi, I just launched a new lost and found property website for people who have lost or found items in Ireland.

Any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.lost.ie
    Congrats and best of luck.

May want to(as suggested already) begin to declutter, and allow groups like the Dublin Bus, etc. to just be able to upload their items, and have "contact Weather Street Gardaí on 056-****", and have a little badge with the Dublin Bus or Gardaí logo, so as people will believe it is really the gardaí.

Advertisement