Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

natural makeup and skincare

• 21-09-2007 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Due to excema that is irritated by anything, I am trying to find a makeup and skincare brand that contains no unnatural chemicals at all. I'm having real difficulty though, even the so called natural organic ranged contain several ingredients that are not natural at all. Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Have you used simple stuff? That's very kind to skin. I have a friend with very sensitive skin who uses it. If that's not going to work you could try origins. They're stuff is very natural. You can get it in House of Fraser in Dundrum or Arnotts in town. Here's a link : http://www.origins.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Aha I have exactly the same problem!

I use Burt's Bees stuff which is almost all natural and I find it really good, especially their baby stuff. Instead of shampoo or shower gel now I use the stuff they do for babies which is a sort of 2 in 1 shampoo and shower gel stuff. They sell it in most health food places and in Avoca too. Here's the product on their site http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?categoryId=10008&subCategoryId=-18&productId=-8&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1

My skin is usually in bits but since I started using this there's been a lot less eczema.

In general baby stuff is great and I also use cold pressed sesame oil (full of omega 6) topically if my skin is dry or irritated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Have you tried any of the Lush stuff? Their moisturisers are very good as are the facial washes and bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sugarcubemakeup

cover fx makeup is good, it's natural and it contains really good coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey,

I use Danné Montague - King products.

http://www.dannemking.com/

Pricey but well worth it, check the website out properly, it's great for so many different skin conditions.

It has to be prescribed as such by someone in a clinic/salon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Dr Hausckha stuff is natural and very good. I've used it lately and I've seen a really big improvement in my skin. It looks much more plump and radiant. It's expensive in shops in Ireland but it's good bit cheaper some places online.

Did you ever try washing with emulsifying ointment ?Thats good for easily irritated skin.

http://www.bce-europe.com/ <-- this website has a good few natural and organic ranges cheaper than you find things in the shops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Liz Earle maybe? I know it's natural so it might be worth a try, expensive tho. Origins and Dr Haushka excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

A lot of natural chemicals can absolutely destroy your skin anyway. Actually, many of the most toxic poisons and most illicit drugs around are plant derived.

Best to go to a pharmacist, doctor or dermatologist. I find Clinique less irritating than most but I can't even use any of their eye make up because I also get dry, irritated eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭lilRedSmurf

Hi!

I'm actually in the process of developing an all natural luxury skincare line.

I'm based in Galway and i make chemical free all natural soaps, creams, lip balms and facemasks. I've been making them in very small ammounts a while now but I'm just starting to try and turn it into a business. I teach weekend workshops on how to make your own also.

I'll have a website going live in the next couple weeks and It will cover the products i make and the natural medicine clinic I'm just about to open. I treat a lot of people with conditions like eczema and psorioasis which is what prompted me to make these kind of products in the first place.

Anyway my question was are there many people here who are looking for these kind of products and what would you like to see in them?

Hi!

I'm actually in the process of developing an all natural luxury skincare line

Anyway my question was are there many people here who are looking for these kind of products and what would you like to see in them?

I think that anything that genuinely works would be popular in this line. Are you making general natural skincare or are they more treatments for skin conditions ?

On both fronts I think that affordability and efficacy are what will really count.
    It's a good idea though. There has been some recent press coverage of the toxicity you introduce into your blood from using chemical based cosmetics (that C4 program "How Toxic Are You?" and ..amm other things I can't accurately reference now). People might start becoming more conscious of the fact that chemicals applied to the skin don't only act there.
    Oh and if you need any testers I live in Galway... :)

• Advertisement

Well anyone can use my line but they are perfect for anyone with exzema etc because they dont have the preservatives and synthetic chemicals that are usually the cause of the negative reactions.

Just made some real organic fairtrade chocolate and cocoa butter lip balms today, i do a mean white chocolate and vanilla one too. :)

I have sugar scrubs, hawiian red sea salt, dead sea and epsom (great for exzema) bath salts and scrubs, face and body creams, and some face masks made with bentonite clay, red and pink kaolin clay with a range of ground herbs to match the skin type and things like honey, powdered silk and ground rose petals in them.

No man made chemicals like plastic polymer compounds, sodium laureth sulfate, parfum, flame retardents and no parabens or chemical preservatives. Organic and fairtrade where possibe.

(Oh and I'll be needing some product testers to fill out some market research bits soon so dont worry I'll be in touch! ;))

That sounds very interesting!! Will you be using any essential oils or anything?

I've found sometimes if i make a blend for my skin when it's looking rough ( i have cystic acne) it takes the inflammation down and the itchyness!!

Will your products be more luxury or to aim for results?

Those products sound amazing lilRedSmurf. I can think of several people who would be interested on the basis that they would be helpful for skin conditions and I can think of lots of people who would love them if they're anything near as decadent and luxurious as they sound. You should try to get them on the market for Christmas. I'd say they'd make very popular presents. Where will you sell from and do you have a brand name ?I'd definitely keep an eye out for your stuff.
    Just made some real organic fairtrade chocolate and cocoa butter lip balms today, i do a mean white chocolate and vanilla one too.

That sounds dangerously good enough to eat. I'm always conscious if I wear lip balms or lip glosses that I'm probably ingesting chemicals over the course of the time I'm wearing it. I'm always attracted to those ones that smell of caramel and such things but I resist them on the basis that they're probably choc full of nasties. I'd definitely love to buy something natural in that line. Big thumbs up for that idea.
    (Oh and I'll be needing some product testers to fill out some market research bits soon so dont worry I'll be in touch!

PLEASE do . Me first in the line! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I just bought some powders from www.everydayminerals.com

It's meant to be natural and without chemicals. I bought a brush, foundation and if you go the "Accessories" section I think you can select a trial size concealer, blush and 3 shades of foundation for free as long as you pay the 8.65 delivery. Very Good Value to try it. All my stuff came to less than 20 dollars I think.

Edit: The Free samples are in the "Custom Kits" section actually sorry.

Will you be using any essential oils or anything?
    Will your products be more luxury or to aim for results?

Essential oils are a definite yes! I use a lot of warm rose scents and I'm a big fan of orange flower / neroli too. All the flavors and scents i use are either infused into oils or essential oils.

I'm a natural medicine practitioner so do I aim for results but with natural ingredients. In working with people with psoriasis etc you really learn how much people need the results that they dont often get through the big name brands or the highly chemical (usually foul smelling) products. So why not have luxury and results!!!

You should try making some calendula oil and use it as a base oil for your blends its fantastic with soothing acne inflamations.

All you need is a bail jar (the kind you make jams and preserves in) one or two cupfulls of marigold petals (calendula officinalis) and some light olive or sweet almond oil (always check that its cold pressed). Jojoba works great too. Just sterilise the jar in the oven, fill it with the marigold petals and pour over the oil of your choice. Seal it, label it and leave it for 3-4 weeks and use a little whenever you need it.

chilly wrote: »
    I'd say they'd make very popular presents. Where will you sell from and do you have a brand name ? I'd definitely keep an eye out for your stuff.

I'm always attracted to those ones that smell of caramel and such things but I resist them on the basis that they're probably choc full of nasties.

I always used to hate when the flavored ones have that funny chemical after taste too. And yes they are very edible! My friends love the chocolate ones.

And I'm actually trying to decide on a brand name at the moment. I'm leaning towards Vara Skincare. Any thoughts??

I'll have a website coming online soon and everything will be available through my clinic. I'm hoping to get into one or two of the healthfood shops before christmas too and maybe the market in galway.

Strokesfan wrote: »
    I just bought some powders from...
    It's meant to be natural and without chemicals.

All of these kind of powders are made of finely crushed mineral powders and coloured mica. Mineral make ups are great for sensitive skins because they dont have the additives that cause the reactions or the oils base that can suffocate pores. The dyes used in the mica based eye shadows are usually synthetically derrived but in tiny concentrations so its not often a problem.

Just take care removing all your make up at night. With such fine powders its posssible to clog up the pores over time if you dont remove all of it and give the skin a chance to breath.

Essential oils are a definite yes! I use a lot of warm rose scents and I'm a big fan of orange flower / neroli too. All the flavors and scents i use are either infused into oils or essential oils.

I'm a natural medicine practitioner so do I aim for results but with natural ingredients. In working with people with psoriasis etc you really learn how much people need the results that they dont often get through the big name brands or the highly chemical (usually foul smelling) products. So why not have luxury and results!!!

You should try making some calendula oil and use it as a base oil for your blends its fantastic with soothing acne inflamations.

All you need is a bail jar (the kind you make jams and preserves in) one or two cupfulls of marigold petals (calendula officinalis) and some light olive or sweet almond oil (always check that its cold pressed). Jojoba works great too. Just sterilise the jar in the oven, fill it with the marigold petals and pour over the oil of your choice. Seal it, label it and leave it for 3-4 weeks and use a little whenever you need it.

Yeah I generally use calendula, sweet almond and jojoba.. i'm a practising aromatherapist so it's readily available to me!! I've found neroli can be a bit too strong on my skin. i'd generally use something simple like Geranium (to regulate/balance), some sort of top note tea tree/lemon (for anti bacterial) and depending on the state of my skin mandarin (regenerating), chamomile or lavender..

I'd be very interested to try what you have suggested though!

And well done on the idea, I really hope it works out for you! Such a great idea and to work towards results too!!

And I'm actually trying to decide on a brand name at the moment. I'm leaning towards Vara Skincare. Any thoughts??

Vara Skincare sounds good to me. It sounds like an appropriate name for natural skincare. It might be worth starting a seperate thread here on the issue of names and see if there's a general consensus on what would attract customers. You might get some interesting ideas too. :)

Thank you both so much for your suggestions and encouragement!!!

I think i will start a thread about that. I am having trouble deciding between using my own name (Vachn) and Vara.

• Advertisement
Advertisement