Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFVII: Crisis Core

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Just finished it as well beat the last boss quite easy and i was on level 42,just kept hell blizzaga him and it was over quite quickly,Dreadfull game,awfull pointless pain enduring grinding in the same places with same monsters just harder..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭matthew26

I had no trouble with the bosses at the end. I was at level 42 as I had done a lot of sidequests. The quests are fun for 5 minute plays and are a lot less painful than the grind associated with most games like this.

Yeah. I do the short quests when I don't have a lot of time for playing (like taking my coffee break or something). It was a good feature, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I've just started playing this game and to be quite honest, I'm really really enjoying it.

It's gotten to the stage where I MUST play this game in peace, I can't play it in a busy surrounding etc. Perhaps too much of a fan..

Sad thing is, as clumsy as Zack is, I'm actually starting to like his character. Sucks to know his out come :/

Graphics are top notch too!

Plus,

I'm actually dodging certain posts so that I don't spoil it for myself!! Haha, can't even remember being this excited about playing a game.

Guys, this game is amazing. I actually went out and bought a PSP to see what this turned out like, absolutely thrilled that I did.

I'm on Chapter 4 now, little bit into it. The story / fights with Sephorith are brilliant, he is definately more human than his original incarnation, which in my opinion, is not a bad thing.

Hmm, difficulty, I think it's on par with the original. Eg: I done mission 4-1-6 (the guy with 40,000 HP) with Zack @ level 12. I found it hard at first, googled the name (think it was wutai remnants) and I could see people at level 15, 17 etc having difficulty with it. I didn't follow their suggestions and beat him by myself with a little help of Barrier. I don't want to level up too much first time through it.

Cut scenes - awesome.

Battle mechanics - Different battle system to the original but I like it. A few people have complained about it being button bashing etc, but I prefer it to the 'press x to summon 'Shiva / Ifrit' scenario. Each to their own. Just learned Materia Fusion, haven't meddled with the materia section much. Fira rocks so far!

One thing that can be very annoying is the random battles. There are FAR TOO MANY of them. I can see it being difficult as hell on Hard Mode.

Camera, sometimes annoying. I always look behind me when I start a mission incase there's a box there with an item. This can sometimes prove to be more troublesome than what it's worth.

Yeah, I am a FF7 fan. I played it in 1997 / 1998 and loved it. It's great to be able to have the same sort of excitement about a game again. Thanks Square!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Glad you're enjoying it. When you're finished be sure to tell us all what you thought of the ending.

I'm also interested to hear what people thought of Genesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I finished the game just the other day and i must say despite being abit boring in the middle, it was a class game!! the ending was great but gutted i knew in advance from reading a review what happened in the end..still though it was greeat though..zack really grows on you as you progress through the game..

FF7 is still one of the best games i ever played and to be honest for a game on hand held, it was another score score for Square in my opinion!!

Not sure about Genesis to be honest...loveless quotes get abit annoying :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

viper006 wrote: »
    Not sure about Genesis to be honest...loveless quotes get abit annoying :)

Annoying? Thought they were horrendous. Trying to be pretentious but coming off goofy and plain boring. Woeful bad guy, woeful story, crap combat. Didn't like it :(

Please ban Retrogamer from anything FF7 related :) I really don't think he likes the franchise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

lordlame wrote: »
    Please ban Retrogamer from anything FF7 related :) I really don't think he likes the franchise!

Franchise? More like the rape of the memory of a very good game for commercial gain :) They should have left it alone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

in all fairness retro, the are a business. FFVII was there best money spinner, crazy not to try and take adventage.
    And you KNOW that they would love to remake it on a current machine

in all fairness retro, the are a business. FFVII was there best money spinner, crazy not to try and take adventage.
    And you KNOW that they would love to remake it on a current machine

I know, but I wouldn't have any complaints if the games they made were any good. Square Enix have become very commercial in the last 5 years and as a result they have lost practically all of their talent and made only 2 good games. Their profits have actually suffered as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I know, but I wouldn't have any complaints if the games they made were any good. Square Enix have become very commercial in the last 5 years and as a result they have lost practically all of their talent and made only 2 good games. Their profits have actually suffered as a result.

Completely agree with you there.
    I imagine that part of the problem is that they no longer have the talent to create new IP, so have to bastardise FFVII to generate income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Finished this yesterday, it was alright. I went in with very low expectations because I haven't been impressed with any of the FFVII spin-offs so far. I did a good few of the missions as I went along so I didn't have any trouble with the last boss or any part of the game really.

What I liked:
    - Zack: A refreshing, upbeat protagionist
    - The scenes after Nibelheim + the ending: Nicely tragic.
    - The music: Or at least the FFVII remixes and the "Combat" battle music which has been playing non-stop in my head since I started playing this
    - The general FF7 nostalgia kick, all the little references and cameos were fun

What I didn't like:
    - Aerith: I found her very selfish and whiny in this, disappointing
    - Gameplay: The battles and missions did get repetitive and the gameplay in general was pretty shallow. I never felt the need to combine materia, use the shops or customise Zack in any way beyond making sure he had the highest level attack and healing materia.
    - DMW: Nice idea in theory but having no control over when I used special abilities and levelling up at random made most battles feel a bit pointless and out of my control
    - Exploration: The "find my stolen wallet" bit in the slums was excrutiatingly long and boring

What I absolutely despised:
    Genesis - The most irritating, pointless character I've ever seen. Every time he started quoting Loveless I found myself completely tuning out and wishing he would go away. Just thinking about him makes me mad!

Part of me would have loved if this was done using the battle system and graphics engine from FFVII for a truly nostalgic experience :)

elekid wrote: »
    Genesis - The most irritating, pointless character I've ever seen. Every time he started quoting Loveless I found myself completely tuning out and wishing he would go away. Just thinking about him makes me mad!

I was hoping for some My Bloody Valentine references :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I am about to start playing this over christmas, anyone know a good site I can read over the FFVII story?

I remember most, but its been years so I wouldnt mind going over some it again (dont have time to play through it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Poor Genesis, he really sounds much better in Japanese. I figured most people wouldn't like him though. English dub really does him no favours.
    efla wrote: »
    I am about to start playing this over christmas, anyone know a good site I can read over the FFVII story?

I remember most, but its been years so I wouldnt mind going over some it again (dont have time to play through it again)

Wikipedia work for you, or are you looking for something more substantial? Search for 'Reminiscence of FFVII' on YouTube, that might bring back memories better as it's a summary of the game by Square-Enix using gameplay footage.

Still playing this, level 45 on Chapter 10 now I think, about to fight the mad scientist. I've done about 50% of the missions.

Have to say, Zack has grown ALOT on me. Possibly more than Cloud. Any one who enjoyed the original FF7 should / will enjoy this game.

I've noticed from previous posts on the FF7 genre that Retrogamer is not a big fan so I wouldn't take his opinion too strongly :D

No offence pal ;)

lordlame wrote: »
    I've noticed from previous posts on the FF7 genre that Retrogamer is not a big fan so I wouldn't take his opinion too strongly :D

No offence pal ;)

I am a big fan, I just get annoyed when people hold up FFVII as the best game ever when it is far from it. Loved FFVII, bored to tears by Crisis Core.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best game ever and fun. Never had to grind cos there were strategies for the superbosses.

Best characters, music, death (though Emma in MGS2 wasn't bad), etc

I know I am biased by my youth but what do you want me to do?

• Advertisement

I could counter all those arguments with games that did it better, some that did them all better.

As for Emma's death scene, rubbish. Would have been alright maybe but octacons awful whining had me in stitches laughing.

You are a cold, cold man.

Nope just stubborn in my crusade :)

Stumbled across this just now, interesting speculation from the guy. Perhaps this might clear up some issues for everyone :D

http://www.ff7citadel.com/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=367

oh dear lord, talk about reading into it too much. All you need to know is that it's badly written drivel with aspirations of pretension but ultimately falls well short and into farce.

oh dear lord, talk about reading into it too much. All you need to know is that it's badly written drivel with aspirations of pretension but ultimately falls well short and into farce.

Whats the matter? Storyline not 'mature' enough for you?

Seriously if you say VC has a mature storyline in one more place in the entire boards.ie I will hunt you down and make you watch MGS4's cutscenes all over again.

noodler wrote: »
    Whats the matter? Storyline not 'mature' enough for you?

Nope, just too ****e. If the game was any good I wouldn't have minded. I think the worst thing about it was that unlike other mindless crap like the storyline of Devil may cry, Crisis Core tried too hard and genuinely thought it was something clever when really it was tripe. Bit like the matrix sequels, except worse.
    noodler wrote:
    Seriously if you say VC has a mature storyline in one more place in the entire boards.ie I will hunt you down and make you watch MGS4's cutscenes all over again.

Could you not do something far more humane? Like gouging my eyeballs out :)

Valkyria Chronicles isn't that mature. The dialogue is a bit hamfisted at times but it's themes are well explored and worthy of exploration and it's genuinely involving and emotional. It's like a saturday morning cartoon version of Band of Brothers :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think the worst thing about it was that unlike other mindless crap like the storyline of Devil may cry...
    There was a story in Devil May Cry?? :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    There was a story in Devil May Cry?? :pac:

Alright, it was more an excuse to beat the crap out of the next few enemies. Anyway my point was that DMC's z-movie silliness is much better than a game that takes itself too seriously and fails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement