Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Cork..

Options
  • 21-09-2007 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Howdy do cyclists..

Im just after starting college, and I'm planning on cycling across town, i.e. Cork city, everyday to college from the train station.

Just wondering if there are any Corkonian cyclists here who could advise me on this route... Kent Station to UCC. I know how to get there, just how safe etc is it? Are drivers anti-cyclist? I imagine Patrick St would be quite scary! Yet cycling is cheaper, faster and healthier!

Also, anyone know if there is somewhere in Kent to keep my bike safe, as in properly safe?

Thanks
    Alan!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well I'm a Dubliner myself but cycle down to Cork regularly and if you think cycling on Patrick St is bad you need to thicken your skin a bit, that street is almost pedestrian! From Kent, I tend to take the footpath as far as the Munster Sounds shop (e.g. wrong way on the one-way, it's not too far), then go down the quays by the bus station and Dunnes, and then turn left down Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Keep to the footpaths if you find it very difficult. Patrick Street is actually fine to cycle on but as regards traffic and all of that, you're better off going up Oliver Plunkett Street as it is pedestrianized and bike friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Right ya, Oliver P St. seems like a better idea alright.. I'm going to pick up a fairly crap bike, try to deter any wanna be thieves!

Thanks anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Buy two locks if you can (you can get a pack of 2 Raleigh locks for about 20 euro in Argos).

Two locks and thieves normally shy away as it's too much work.

Advertisement