Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel pure bred problems?

Options
  • 21-09-2007 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if there are any genetic problems in Springers which I should look out for in my new pup like arthritus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Some English Springers are prone to hip dysplasia. This breed tends to gain weight easily, so do not over feed. Also prone to PRA, which affects the eyes, and PFK, a blood disorder, epilepsy, and HD. The English Springer breed has been experiencing a serious personality problem in some individuals called "Rage Syndrome." This is a rare disorder that also occurs in other popular breeds. An otherwise normal dog goes into a sudden rage, viciously attacking people. During the attacks the dog does not respond to commands. This condition is a form of epilepsy and can be treated. It is generally not evident until the dog is one to two years old. Check with breeders about history of "Rage" in the lines. If your dog is experiencing aggression problems, do not be too quick to label it as "Rage". Many Springers go through a "teenage" stage, where they may test their owners. They need an owner to knows how to display gentle, but firm leadership. This "teenage" behavior is too often misdiagnosed as being "Rage", when in fact, it is normal "Top Dog" behavior. It is best to have your dog tested before assuming they have "Rage".

Info - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/englishspringerspaniel.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Check out this website - http://www.dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/back_issues.html . You can order a back issue to get Fido Facts, an indepth profile on your breed, what problems it may have, training concerns, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

cheers for the info.

the person I got the dog off wasn't a breeder, it was pure chance that we got this dog so I dunno what I'll be able to find out about it's decendants. I know what to look out for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

They usually have fairly good health and can live to about 12 yo. Make sure to have it neutered too and watch out for non-congenital/genetic problems such as ear irritation and behavioral problems like aggression etc. They're great dogs overall, we used to have a purebred one and apart from him being a bit territioral, he generally had good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The number one thing to check out yourself is their ears. Because of the way they flop down they are prone to getting ear mites. Always make sure the hair poking out of their ears is kept trimmed. If the dog gets wet (and it will, the job of a springer is to be wet and muddy) make sure the inner ears are dried properly. And check for waxy build up as this will need to be cleaned away.

They need a lot of exercise and will at an absolute minimum need an hour off lead time as they grow older. One of our dogs we rehomed as his previous owners couldn't cope with how energetic he was at home. However they never walked him off the lead so he was just an absolute ball of pent up energy at home he was also badly overweight at just 7 months. Once we got him and he started getting proper exercise he calmed down and both my dogs tend to be very good at home as long as they have a decent walk each day. If there is somewhere you can take your pup swimming they will love it.

Springers are a very socialable dog and love company. They do well in 2 dog households and can suffer from seperation anxiety when left alone. They are very smart and agile (one of our neighbours has a fire dept springer trained to find people trapped in collapsed buildings) and would benefit from agility training of some sort as they get older as this will focus them.

Take a look on www.itsaspringthing.co.uk for lots of tips and their forum is really friendly if you have more springer specific questions.

Oh and it's rude to come on the internet and tell people you have a new puppy and not post some pictures. ;):D:D

• Advertisement

iguana wrote:
    Oh and it's rude to come on the internet and tell people you have a new puppy and not post some pictures. ;):D:D
    if you insist :D they aren't great photo's, but here's Maxie
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Marts86/DSC00219.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/Marts86/DSC00223.jpg

cheers for the extra info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

What a cutie, I can't believe my two monsters were ever so small.:)

I have one , she is 13 years old . She is still going strong despite having cancer. The first 4 years with her were a nighmare, they have lots of energy. I noticed a growth on her lip about 7 months ago , it was quite small so we brought her to a Vet. The Vet said its just skin and they are not going to remove it as its not dangerous and that she could bleed to death if they did.
    We noticed that it was getting bigger so we brought her to another Vet who tested it and said it was cancer, and if we had have come sooner they could have removed it. No she is taking tablets and to be honest i dont know how much more time she has. Very angry with the other Vet , but they did have a bad name before. I wasnt sure if they were storys made up , but now i have my own story.

I have one , she is 13 years old . She is still going strong despite having cancer. The first 4 years with her were a nighmare, they have lots of energy. I noticed a growth on her lip about 7 months ago , it was quite small so we brought her to a Vet. The Vet said its just skin and they are not going to remove it as its not dangerous and that she could bleed to death if they did.
    We noticed that it was getting bigger so we brought her to another Vet who tested it and said it was cancer, and if we had have come sooner they could have removed it. No she is taking tablets and to be honest i dont know how much more time she has. Very angry with the other Vet , but they did have a bad name before. I wasnt sure if they were storys made up , but now i have my own story.
    that's really sad. I'm very sorry for you. I know what it's like to lose a pet you have had for a long time and can only imagine how furious you are at the first vet. all I can say is make sure you give your dog the attention it deserves in it's last days as repayment for the years of loyalty it gave you

Thanks The_Bollox, to be honest she is still going strong and she still has the puppy in her. Although she cant here now. But she pretends at times she cant here aswell , funny dog :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement