Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Req: Wireless router/AP with print-server

• 21-09-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon folks,
    It's time to sort the gaff out with some wireless. I basicly want a wireless router/access point (I have the BB through the phone line - BT) with a print server (You know, USB slot that I can plug the printer into). I've seen them in PC world and forget the price, but it was a bit :eek:

Just wondering if anyone has bought one of these online? Or has any recommendations??

I had the eircom wireless router before (the €25 job) but for some reason the Compaq laptop wouldnt connect to it (Other laptops did no problem, and the compaq connects to other wireless no problem - weird)... but I want to be able to print from the laptop, hence the print server

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just wondering are you aware that you can share a printer connected to a pc wirelessly via home networking? That way you could just buy any wireless router and connect the printer to the main pc thats on most of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jmccrohan wrote:
    Just wondering are you aware that you can share a printer connected to a pc wirelessly via home networking? That way you could just buy any wireless router and connect the printer to the main pc thats on most of the time...

Aye i'm aware of that, but thanks for the tip. The 'main' PC that the printer is connected to doesn't be on all the time, pain in the backside having to go in turning it on to print off 1 page (Did it for years on the wired LAN). Although if there's a big price difference I may just buy another wireless router

Wonder if any of those eircom ones are left in PC World ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Maybe worth trying the Apple Airport Extreme? Does what you're after I think. Can plug a hub into the USB socket for more than one printer etc too.

Matt

Advertisement