Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble with VW Golf

Options
  • 21-09-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    I have a 1.6. automatic golf mark IV. I have it for about 6 months. Theres 49000 on the clock. My problem is:
    -It never starts first time in the morning;
    -When it eventually starts it thuds along until finally it gets going;
    -While in "Park" it Revs up and down constantly-drinking petrol as a result;
    -Cuts out from time to time at junctions;
    -Its costing me a bomb to run, Galway to Dublin return costing €70.

The guy I bought it off (a mechanic) had it a few times since and reckons that he cleaned the throttle body and re-set it with the computer, all this done was solve a problem I was having with it cutting out on roundabouts, by solving this problem however, it brought about my current problem of reving up and down while in traffic.

He now tells me that it'll need a new throttle body, "and that'll definately solve it!"

My questions are:
    Has anyone suffered similar problems?
    How much would a new throttle body work out at?
    Can they be got second hand?
    Will this actually solve all the problems outlined above?
    and finally -- Should I suggest that he put it right, as in he pay for this, bearing in mind that the car hasn't run right since I bought it and I've had it since March?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Does this car use a Bosch MAF by any chance? Sounds very like the symptoms I've heard owners of a certain Italian marque complain about. Fix is usually the replacement of a German part. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

It is a common problem on the Golfs but usually the repair is just to clean the throttle body and reset the ecu but i have seen golfs that did need the throttle body replaced to solve this.

Was the car bought private or off a registered dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As mentioned before, it could be the MAF. Whether it is or not, I get a second opinion on the throttle body as they don't fail all that often. It is also important that the throttle angle was reset after it was cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I have only ever seen 2 of this model Golf that needed a new throttle body, and I see a lot of Golf's. The throttle body could be at fault but I would be surprised. A used one can be fitted if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dazcon

@Mr diagnostic .

Dont forget you have a Black 1.4 golf booked in on tuesday with a similar problem .So you can experiment on that --- as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

• Advertisement

Dazcon wrote:
    @Mr diagnostic .

Dont forget you have a Black 1.4 golf booked in on tuesday with a similar problem .So you can experiment on that --- as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

:):):)

Well.............i was just planning on fixing it but if you like I can experiment with it too.

P.S. Always read the small print

I never charge for experimentation but I cant guarantee it will actually run afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cj Mac

My gf had a 01 mark iv golf that wouldnt start v.often. Apparently, common with those golfs. She was told that it needed a new alternator. She just traded it in so I cant confirm whether it was the alternator.

Just shows you, people talk alot of nonsense about vws, they are not bullet proof at all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The Bull McCabe

Healyc wrote:
    It is a common problem on the Golfs but usually the repair is just to clean the throttle body and reset the ecu but i have seen golfs that did need the throttle body replaced to solve this.

Was the car bought private or off a registered dealer?

It was bought private, the guy is always buying and selling cars.
    He works for a dealer - non VW and said that he bought it from the garage where he works as it seemed like such a nice car, - and he didn't charge me an arm and a leg for it either, but I can assure you i'm paying for it now with the fuel costs!!!! thru the nose.
    I gave him the car a few months back and he said he "polished" the throttle body and had the computer to re-set it, the car went ok after this job but, as in it wasn't cutting out - instead it was hunting as it still is while sittin in traffic in "park". I spoke to him last week and he said "it def needs a throttle body" - how does one check this? i head a new one could cost 500 euro. any ideas where i'd source a good second hand one.

I have only ever seen 2 of this model Golf that needed a new throttle body, and I see a lot of Golf's. The throttle body could be at fault but I would be surprised. A used one can be fitted if need be.

Cheers! - How do i assertain whether or not it is the throttle body if you you'd be surprised thats the problem? - to be honest i'm not sure this guy is fully sure what the problem is - i'd say he's just guessing - he works for a dealer of a different car make, so he's not workin on VWs everyday.

Cj Mac wrote:
    My gf had a 01 mark iv golf that wouldnt start v.often. Apparently, common with those golfs. She was told that it needed a new alternator. She just traded it in so I cant confirm whether it was the alternator.

Just shows you, people talk alot of nonsense about vws, they are not bullet proof at all !

I will say this, we have had lots of VWs at home, they were all diesel and never a problem, ever! But this is my second petrol golf, and its a joke. -crashed first one (a guy pulled out on a country road - had it not been for the strong body of the vw the three of us in the car would be killed - the car turned over and not a scratch on us, their excellent in a crash!!!!!!!!) ( when we put it back on its four wheels you'd think it just got scratched, air bags opened, seatbelt locked, not a bother)

• Advertisement

Cheers! - How do i assertain whether or not it is the throttle body if you you'd be surprised thats the problem? - to be honest i'm not sure this guy is fully sure what the problem is - i'd say he's just guessing - he works for a dealer of a different car make, so he's not workin on VWs everyday.

It is possible to test the throttle body but it is not that easy. You would need to have some understanding of how it works as well as how to check the signals to and from it. The ECU commands it and there are feedback signals to the ECU.
    Sorry I know I am not being very helpful but it is not that straight forward. I will however answer any questions you have on how to test it.

Advertisement