Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car - Best to Learn on for 10-15,000?

Options
  • 21-09-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

What would be thebest car to learn on? I'm 24, this would be my first car, what would be best for between E10-15,000 thinking about insurance as well?
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Tbh I wouldn't spend quite so much on my first car if I were you. It's probably gona pick up a few dings/scratches along the way.
    However if that doesn't bother you, you'll be getting a nice reliable newish car for that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

What's the best to learn on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Opel Corsa - always has been always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

my first car was a corsa also, deadly little car.. great for insurance and tax, it was only a 1 litre so spent little on fuel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm a Ford man, fun to drive, cheap to maintain/fix, and fiesta in 1.25ltr guise is quite nippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, Fiesta 1.25zetec! I had one as my first car and it was a great little car. They're cheap, reliable, and quick for what they are :) That said, I already had my full licence by the time I got the car - passed the test in my mother's Corsa 1.0 litre!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id say the best thing to do is go to a few car dealerships with someone with a full license and get them to test drive a few cars with you. You should be able to pick up a really nice car for 3k - 5k. Id say skip the 1L car and get either a 1.4 or 1.6, its not like your 17. What car depends on what you like, there are tons of good cars, any good car is fine to learn in, something massive is not ideal but the first car i ever drove was a mercedes c class estate and it was grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mini Maple

i know this might sound a bit weird but a merc A class,its a 1.4,and because it has so many windows it will help you get used to driving as you can see all around you! not the new kind, but if you bought a 1999, or 2000 it would only be about 7 k, and they are a good car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I'm with fletch on this. Ford all the way. Not sure if you're a guy or girl but I learned to drive in a Ford Ka and it was brilliant (quite a girly car)! 1299 cc. Drives just like a fiesta and had the added bonus of the big bumpers that are impossible to dent!

Also, you're mad to spend that much on your first car. They invariably get a few nicks etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

and, fords also have a lovely gear box and clutch. Kas also hold the road like you're on rails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Corsa or Micra. I learned in a Charade deisel - couldn't stall it if you tried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Yaris is the easiest car to learn to drive on. gear change simple, pedals well apart and clutch very easy to get on with.
    Whether you'd drive one is another matter! Also find Puntos easy to drive.

Advertisement