Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet (Fibre To The Home): TV set top box?

Options
  • 21-09-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Can any Magnet customers describe what Magnet (FTTH) is like for TV?

Does the set top box have SCART outputs?

Can you record one channel on your video recorder while watching another? On NTL digital, you can 'sorta' do that because you have the analogue cable in addition to the digital, so you can watch one on the TV while recording the other.

Does the set top box have the ability to set up timers for recording? NTL allows you to do this, so you can, say record BBC1 on Monday and C4 on Tuesday, while you are on holidays.

How reliable is Magnet? The NTL digital set top box likes you to pull the card in and out once in a while when it is in that humour (+10 points for anthropomorphising hardware, -5 points for innuendo).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

they have no ability to do recording as of yet as far as i can tell,unless you had a pvr or something similiar, has no viewing card, has a scart output, i have 2 set top boxes for multiroom viewing, second box charged at 6 a month,

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

bungholio wrote:
    they have no ability to do recording as of yet as far as i can tell,unless you had a pvr or something similiar, has no viewing card, has a scart output, i have 2 set top boxes for multiroom viewing, second box charged at 6 a month,

Could you not record off the scart to a VCR/DVD-recorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bungholio wrote:
    second box charged at 6 a month,
    Is that €6 per month?

That's not a bad deal, does it come with a second remote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JCDublin

Can anyone say what the quality of TV picture and sound is like with Magnet Fibre to the Home (as opposed to the DSL package which has had some bad reviews)? Is the quality of picture and sounds as good as NTL digital or similar cable tv providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

JCDublin wrote: »
    Can anyone say what the quality of TV picture and sound is like with Magnet Fibre to the Home (as opposed to the DSL package which has had some bad reviews)? Is the quality of picture and sounds as good as NTL digital or similar cable tv providers?

The picture is as good as NTL digital, although every now and again you see a digital glitch in the picture, and sometimes the sound gets really out of sync with the picture (the latter fixed by a restart of the box).

The Digital TV offering lacks in two ways though:
    1. The set top box is really slow. I am talking about changing channels (subjectively the same speed as NTL) - the menus are really slow when you are browsing the listings. Every time you scroll down, there is a dely.

On the face of it, the listings browser is better than NTLs - it shows the programs at different times across the screen. But it is really slow and makes you wonder why it does not load the whole lot in one go - would take a fraction of a second at broadband speeds. I suspect the UI is a thin client type architecture where the entire UI is prepared at their end, and only picture and commands go from your box. The end result is ****ty in any case.

2. The channel selection is notably poorer. For example, Bravo is extra. Exacerbating this is the fact that the channel browser defaults to including the channels you don't have with a € beside them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement