Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work giving me hassle over peircing

Options
  • 21-09-2007 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

iwork in ahotel hav had my lip peirced a year,hav a small stud in it,now the new manager wants it out,isais imite be able to get see through keeper r sumntn,any help please,its so annoyin and has ntn to do wit my work..which i told him..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

lmc11 wrote:
    iwork in ahotel hav had my lip peirced a year,hav a small stud in it,now the new manager wants it out,isais imite be able to get see through keeper r sumntn,any help please,its so annoyin and has ntn to do wit my work..which i told him..

Let me translate as text speak is extremely annoying!

I work in a hotel and have had my lip pierced for a year. I have a small stud in it. Recently the manager of the hotel wants the piercing out. Will i be able to get a see through keeper or something? Any help would be appreciated. It is so annoying and has nothing to do with my work, which i informed my manager of.

Now it's clearer for others to read.

Very simple really, if your manager has a problem with the piercing it will have to go if you want to keep your job. If your piercing means more to you than your job then quit. Happens in alot of companys, simply get your priorities in check. Consult a piercer for the best way to try disguise the piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 lmc11

excuse you,if you have a problem with the way i write my posts,if you dont like it then you dont have to read it.infact id rather if someone so uptight and stuck in the past woudnt reply or read my posts again. as for your translation maybe you should improve your own grammar. iwrote the post in a hurry as im having problems with my laptop, iwas looking for some good advice from others in my position not a condescending reply which is of no help at all. iwill be gn to my piercer for their advice but since icant go right now ithought id come here.
    c0rk3r wrote:
    Let me translate as text speak is extremely annoying!

I work in a hotel and have had my lip pierced for a year. I have a small stud in it. Recently the manager of the hotel wants the piercing out. Will i be able to get a see through keeper or something? Any help would be appreciated. It is so annoying and has nothing to do with my work, which i informed my manager of.

Now it's clearer for others to read.

Very simple really, if your manager has a problem with the piercing it will have to go if you want to keep your job. If your piercing means more to you than your job then quit. Happens in alot of companys, simply get your priorities in check. Consult a piercer for the best way to try disguise the piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

You will find alot of people on these boards will have the same attitude towards text speak as I just did.

If you read carefully, I did give you advice. Maybe you where blinded by the style of my response to read it. So let me reitterate......

Alot of professional companies have a problem with piercings due to sterotypes etc. It's nothing personal and it wont effect your performance to do a job, we all know that and they do too. It's simply about keeping up a good appearance for the company.

So again, where do your priorities lie? To your job, or to your apperance? If you're young, then it will probably to the modification. If your looking to continue with your current job then take out the piercing.

You may not like the way i get my point accross but its the truth. You may not have liked my "condescending" tone, but if you had taking the time to do a quick search of the forums you would have found alot of topics about this same problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Mostly the hotel industry is about presentation. Piercings on staff do not look good, regardless of whether they're dealing with guests directly or not.
    So I can see your manager's point of view.

I used to use the plastic tags that came on clothes to hide mine, cut it to size, and its barely visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

To be honest I was completely unable to read the middle part of your original post myself.

Anyway...

Did you have your lip pierced when you were first taken into employment by the hotel? Is this manager new? What aspect of the hotel do you work in?

If I recall correctly, they have no right to say anything to you about an existing piercing if they employed you while you had it in initially. It sounds like the new manager is just a little old fashioned. Ask them has there been any complaints about it in the past, and if there hasn't been, then on what basis is he requesting you to take it out since it doesn't appear to affect your work or your relationship with customers or colleagues, also stating that you may have been employed with it initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Thank you Cork for the translation!

I'm sorry, but I think it has to do with your work when you're dealing with the public, and that goes for any facial piercings, lip, nose, brow, whatever. If I was a customer, I wouldn't mind in a big way, but it just looks bad, and I guess is a bit off-putting.
    Put it this way - if I had a choice to stay in a hotel where I knew several of the staff had facial piercings, and a hotel where no staff had any, then all things being equal, this might be a deciding factor.
    This is life! You must see it from your employer's point of view, they probably personally don't care what you look like, but business is business and that's what it comes down to.

as regards the way iwrote the post i understand that people dont like text talk,but ido text alot and as iam hving problems with my computer and it shuts itself off when it feels like it ijust wanted to get my problem out there. Iv been in college for three years and have a honours degree so i really have no excuse for writing like that as i know better. Idid get angry for my post being 'translated'. Anyway i work as a waitress and deal with the customers regularly. iv personally never had a compalint made about me,i know all the regulars. iwas not employed with the peircing, after workin there a year and a half ihad it done,at the time iworked on the sald bar and had to wear a plaster.Now im doing waitressing and for the past five months have had no problems,or compalints with the peircing. the manger which has been with us two or three months has said nothing untill the other day,stating it must come out,i said but its been in a year, isaid ihad worn a plaster in the past and would be willing to that again,ialso said i would try get a see through keeper.he said what if it comes down to them making me,isaid well in that case iwill leave,because it has been in a year,and i feel discriminated against. if it was for a new job i would take it out,but theyve left it too long i feel. iwant to keep the job its close to home and im saving to go to australia. but ifeel imust stand up for myself.its really hardly noticeable,and is a sign of my own individuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

just get a clear retainer and hope for the best tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you're first post is representative of how you present yourself, you have a long life of menial jobs ahead. Consider; you need money, employer offers it for work, whose terms should it be on? Hmmm?

I understand how you may feel, but I don't agree that it's discrimination. I assume that they expect a certain standard of presentation by staff, that applies to you ALL. If you feel wronged in this, then what is to stop another staff member to get piercings all over their face, a few tattoos, a yellow mohican hair style - whatever. What I'm saying is, where do you draw the line? They have a business to run, they expect staff to be presentable, and to a huge percentage of people, piercings look awful! It's understandable. I also understand, yes, you have the right to express yourself in whatever way you wish, but not in your hours of work! Maybe you could find work in a more casual establishment, not a hotel though maybe. They're not comfortable with your piercing, and you're not comfortable working there if you can't wear it, so you have to decide which is worth more to you right now. I don't understand why they left it so long to say something but that doesn't mean they don't have the right. Maybe they didn't want to before but for some reason they now feel they have to. This job is obviously just a means to an end for you, so if I were you I'd just stick it out, and make as much money as possible for Australia. It's not worth getting stressed over.

• Advertisement

ipresent myself very well in work,ialways look clean and tidy,iv been working in the hotel for nearly three years. iam currently up for promotion. while working in the hotel iv put myself through college and now have a 2.1 honours degree in psychology. idoubt iwill work in menial jobs for the rest of my life, instead iwill persist to get my masters in my chosen field of psychology. at the moment i do have some peircings, my laberet peircing is the only visible piercing i have except for my lobes,my scaffold is covered with my hair. when the time comes that iwill get a job in the area of psychology that ilike iwill of course remove all peircings that i have. the only reason im having a problem taking my lip piercing out now is because iv had it in a year.iwill get a clear retainer 'thanks sarannewrap' and hopefully the manager will be ok with that,ans see that iv made an effort. theres only one other girl who works with me that also just got her laberet peirced.so she will probably do the same.
    nipplenuts wrote:
    If you're first post is representative of how you present yourself, you have a long life of menial jobs ahead. Consider; you need money, employer offers it for work, whose terms should it be on? Hmmm?

lmc11 wrote:
    when the time comes that iwill get a job in the area of psychology that ilike iwill of course remove all peircings that i have.

I think your current employer is just expecting the same courtesy.

lmc11 wrote:
    ipresent myself very well in work,ialways look clean and tidy,iv been working in the hotel for nearly three years. iam currently up for promotion. while working in the hotel iv put myself through college and now have a 2.1 honours degree in psychology. idoubt iwill work in menial jobs for the rest of my life, instead iwill persist to get my masters in my chosen field of psychology. at the moment i do have some peircings, my laberet peircing is the only visible piercing i have except for my lobes,my scaffold is covered with my hair. when the time comes that iwill get a job in the area of psychology that ilike iwill of course remove all peircings that i have. the only reason im having a problem taking my lip piercing out now is because iv had it in a year.iwill get a clear retainer 'thanks sarannewrap' and hopefully the manager will be ok with that,ans see that iv made an effort. theres only one other girl who works with me that also just got her laberet peirced.so she will probably do the same.

Here's the problem. "ialways", "idoubt" and "iwill" are not words. I cannot be bothered to read your response because you refuse to use an accepted language. This to me smacks of ME ME ME! Oh, "iv" is not a word either.

When you work for me you represent me. I do not want to be presented as an illiterate or semi literate pincushion. Unless, of course, I run a small underbasement concern in Temple Bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nipplenuts wrote:
    Here's the problem. "ialways", "idoubt" and "iwill" are not words. I cannot be bothered to read your response because you refuse to use an accepted language. This to me smacks of ME ME ME! Oh, "iv" is not a word either.

When you work for me you represent me. I do not want to be presented as an illiterate or semi literate pincushion. Unless, of course, I run a small underbasement concern in Temple Bar :D

I'd really have to agree here.

I think your have more to worry about than your piercings. I mean that in the nicest possible way. You come across quite arrogant.

High five, Gooner!

Nobody's ever agreed with me before.

/slinks away/

nipplenuts wrote:
    High five, Gooner!

Nobody's ever agreed with me before.

/slinks away/

Awwwwwwwww cuddles!

look people are picking me up all wrong here,ihad a problem istated it and asked for advice,other people didnt like how iwrote the post so imade the effort to write as clearly as possible to further discuss the problem,but i then got more people picking at me and judging me,so i again tryed to defend myself..what do people expect..ijust wanted some friendly advice not what feels like been in school having a gang of self righteous teachers having a go,just forget the whole thing..il just sort it out myself..

lmc11 wrote:
    ihad a problem istated it and asked for advice,other people didnt like how iwrote the post so imade the effort to write as clearly as possible to further discuss the problem,but i then got more people picking at me and judging me,so i again tryed to defend myself..what do people expect..ijust wanted some friendly advice not what feels like been in school having a gang of self righteous teachers having a go,just forget the whole thing..il just sort it out myself..

I suggest you buy a dictionary. Learning how to spell correctly may work to your advantage in any future employment. :D

lmc11 wrote:
    look people are picking me up all wrong here,ihad a problem istated it and asked for advice,other people didnt like how iwrote the post so imade the effort to write as clearly as possible to further discuss the problem,but i then got more people picking at me and judging me,so i again tryed to defend myself..what do people expect..ijust wanted some friendly advice not what feels like been in school having a gang of self righteous teachers having a go,just forget the whole thing..il just sort it out myself..

:confused:

Ipod Generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Welcome to the real world, I'm afraid. Like sarannewrap said, just get a retainer and hope your manager's happy. Not much you can do.

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote:
    :confused:

Ipod Generation?

iconcur

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lmc11 wrote:
    Iv been in college for three years and have a honours degree
    And I've no doubt it has nothing to do with being a waitress, so other than "I'm civilised, I can write" BS, it doesn't add to your arguement.
    lmc11 wrote:
    iwas not employed with the peircing
    So because you didn't have it when you got the job, it makes it ok?
    lmc11 wrote:
    the manger which has been with us two or three months has said nothing untill the other day,stating it must come out
    Any idea why they have a new manager? WHat was wrong with the old one?
    lmc11 wrote:
    he said what if it comes down to them making me,isaid well in that case iwill leave,because it has been in a year,and i feel discriminated against. if it was for a new job i would take it out
    If the manager doesn't take it out, he's discriminating against ALL the other staff, if they wanted a lip piercing.
    lmc11 wrote:
    is a sign of my own individuality.
    To work in a pub, you must conform, and wear what's meant to be worn. The "but I wore it for ages" isn't a valid reason.

nipplenuts wrote:
    iconcur

ilol'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why not show us the same respect you gave your lecturers by writing in a clear and consise manner.
    It just makes life easier for everyone.

got the retainer,the manager has no problem with it..it's barely noticeable..sorted..

lmc11 wrote:
    got the retainer,the manager has no problem with it..it's barely noticeable..sorted..

icongratulate you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

lmc11 wrote:
    excuse you,if you have a problem with the way i write my posts,if you dont like it then you dont have to read it.infact id rather if someone so uptight and stuck in the past woudnt reply or read my posts again. as for your translation maybe you should improve your own grammar. iwrote the post in a hurry as im having problems with my laptop, iwas looking for some good advice from others in my position not a condescending reply which is of no help at all. iwill be gn to my piercer for their advice but since icant go right now ithought id come here.

Come down off that cross, we need the wood. Anyway, he's only trying to help. I for one wasn't going to bother offering advice until he translated your gobbledigook

Anyway, I have seen studs with flat flesh coloured heads. Never saw them in Ireland though, only Thailand, though it should be easy enough to get one made. In my day we used the teeth from those hairbrushes. At best it was invisible and at worst, it looked like a whitehead that needed a bit of clearasil.

dont worry iwont be writing in text anymore..got enough grief over that.well that flat flesh coloured one sounds great i might say it to the peircer,ye iwore the retainer yesterday people kept asking me whats that on your lip?thinkin it was food,ha,ha..but now the manager isnt happy with that either its not exactly invisible so im going to take it out while in work then any chance iget il pop it back in,hope it wont close,does anyone know how long it takes before it closes?if it just irritates though uim givin up on it il let it closse and reopen again....not worth the hassle... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

how long have you had it for?

id my lip done for just under a year when i had to take it out for work. basically, i was working in a daily homecare live-in situation, so worked all day, put it in for hour or so at night,got called outta bed, put it in for another hour or so, would get called again, take it out again, id say it was in total of 5hrs max in any given night. often less, and it was absolutely no problem.

• Advertisement

I can leave mine out for up to around 10 hours, after that it gets a bit tight.

Advertisement