Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do yuppies who know nothing about sport follow egg chasing?

• 21-09-2007 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Must say I hate Rugby, but what I hate more are Rugby supporters. So many know nothing about sport but follow it just because all their wannabe D4 knob end friends follow it too.

The amount of people I know who'd no interest in sport growing up and all through college who started following Rugby the second they put on a suit and started an office job is unreal.

Down with that sort of thing, thats what I say.

Comments

I am not a yuppie and I like Rugby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Any rugby fan I know, myself included, know plenty about it.

You should have posted this in Rugby for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Sorry really should clarify. Not saying all rugby fans are yuppies or all rugby fans are D4 eejits. Just that so many wannabe D4 eejits follow rugby coz its the 'in' thing to do without having a clue about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Fanny **** wrote:
    Sorry really should clarify. Not saying all rugby fans are yuppies or all rugby fans are D4 eejits. Just that so many wannabe D4 eejits follow rugby coz its the 'in' thing to do without having a clue about it

I would concur, but you have an knob element of support for every sport/team...not just rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Because their boss and workmates are into rugby and they don't want to be clueless if they're chatting away after work maybe. :confused:

Enough of this wannabe D4 nonsense on boards. I often pass through Irishtown and Ringsend. Both kips and they're in D4!

Sunshine supporters exist in every sport. Sure we were all talking about cricket a few months ago but can anyone hear remember what countries we played in the Super 8's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I smell the 'ole "post a thread for the sake of controversy" nugget.

In fairness its a sport that were genuinely competative in on a world scene so it's not unusual that people support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

who ever wants to follow it it's okay in my book.

there are too few sports that were actually in the top 6 (i still believe that after this world cup) in the world.

more support, no matter how much they know or how little they know is needed.

myself played rugby until i got an injury that forced me out of the game in 2nd year of secondary school.

Wisesmurf wrote:
    I smell the 'ole "post a thread for the sake of controversy" nugget.

not at all. Just something I've noticed. Rugby was always seem as a middle class sport, and the wealthier the country has become the more people who've began to follow rugby, a lot of them cluelessly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Fanny **** wrote:
    not at all. Just something I've noticed. Rugby was always seem as a middle class sport, and the wealthier the country has become the more people who've began to follow rugby, a lot of them cluelessly so.

Is'nt our best club team and best supported team Munster. Not many d4's there.

I do hate BOD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Fanny **** wrote:

Id disagree with you there alot of it is also down to how good Rugby captured the Nation's hearts and minds during the RBS 6 Nations especially when we totally destroyed England at their own game, id also say that alot of people are getting bored of Soccer its lost its touch i cant even stomach a Soccer match watching a bunch of millionaire bi**hes who collapse and pull ligaments and whatnot as soon as contact from another played is made. BORING!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fanny **** wrote:

What exactly is middle class? I always thought it was everyone between people who draw the dole and live council houses on the one end and people who live in big redbrick houses and drive mercs on the other - i.e. most arverage joe soaps.

Do you not think it's possible that more people support rugby at the moment because a good six nations was followed by the world cup? On the other hand, the soccer team are playing very poorly and no one likes Staunton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Do you not think it's possible that more people support rugby at the moment because a good six nations was followed by the world cup? On the other hand, the soccer team are playing very poorly and no one likes Staunton?

Just like what i said above, well said Sir!:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Steyr wrote:
    Just like what i said above, well said Sir!:)

Fairly slow connection. Didn't see your post until I posted mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fanny **** wrote:
    Considering these people most likely come from private schools that rugby was the main sport in, I have to say you're talking out of your arse.
    wisesmurph wrote:
    I smell the 'ole "post a thread for the sake of controversy" nugget

Agreed.

Either that or the OP is actually retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I watch rugby, nobody else I know does, I learned the rules by watching games and I never went to a rugby school. I started following it because I happened to see a bit of a game one day and was hooked.

I don't follow rugby because it's the posh fashionable thing to do I follow it because I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Steyr wrote:
    Id disagree with you there alot of it is also down to how good Rugby captured the Nation's hearts and minds during the RBS 6 Nations especially when we totally destroyed England at their own game, id also say that alot of people are getting bored of Soccer its lost its touch i cant even stomach a Soccer match watching a bunch of millionaire bi**hes who collapse and pull ligaments and whatnot as soon as contact from another played is made. BORING!

meh. Ive tried numerous times to give rugger a crack, Croker being one of the times, but i just cant get excited about it. My main gripe is the time it takes to get the ball out when there are 12 lads jumped on top of it in a big pile, half the match seems to be waiting for this. Also, i dunno but there is something odd about following your national squad when they dont even play your national anthem (alright, i know its a north south thing but still)

Fanny ****- reminds me of what a work colleague said. Hes huge into rugby, and said that whenever the likes of the Croker matches or whatever bandwagon event comes up he has to put up with people in work waffling out of their arse as if they know anything about it.

As for the fans in general, i was in the centre tonight around 8:30 and saw at least 3 people wearing rugger jerseys. If you are wearing the jersey surely you should be watching the match? It reminded me of one time back in about 2005, we had a WC (soccer) qualifier against Cyprus iirc, i was dying to see it but had to work, and half of our customers were wearing green jerseys :confused: I dunno, your country is fighting for WC qualification and you are out filling your stomach with takeaway food cooked by an employee who would far rather be down the pub in his Ireland jersey cheering the team on (i.e. myself). Fair enough, Ive a Boston Celtics, Real Madrid and a NY Yankees football jersey and dont particularly follow either team (and the yankees one, while nice, is clearly knock off seein as they are a baseball team :D ) but i wonder as to why people wear their own national jersey but dont follow the matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I like rugby as a lower class person mainly as its violence that you cant get away with on a soccer pitch.

But i do understand the OPs point, go to Sinnots and see why blowing up a pub can be sometimes not that bad.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Troll... Now I often wondered what constitutes a troll.

Wonder why this has not been designated as such???

Seems fairly open and shut to me.

rb_ie wrote:
    Considering these people most likely come from private schools that rugby was the main sport in, I have to say you're talking out of your arse.

Most wannabe D4 types I was referring to are from ordinary working class backgrounds. As I said some people I have known for over 20 yrs had no interest in rugby til they stuck on a suit for an office job then all of a sudden ate, slept and breathed rugby despite knowing nowt about it

And your point is.........

• Advertisement

Troll... Now I often wondered what constitutes a troll.

Wonder why this has not been designated as such???

Seems fairly open and shut to me.

you're quite wrong sir.

And your point is.........

My point is I completely disagree with the poster whom I quoted.

rb_ie wrote:
    Either that or the OP is actually retarded.

Nope, fully able bodied.

No sir ,I am not.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence of cop on can see you are merely trying to stir things up.

If i had started this thread I would be hung out to dry and swinging the banned forum.

What exactly is your point in all this????

Read my original post and you might realise.

To reiterate I am asking why Rugby is so popular with yuppy wannabes who before they donned a suit had no interest in the sport and I can guess still don't as they know nothing about it.

As someone said go into any pub in Baggot st on a match day and you'll see what I'm talking about. A while back I went into a pub around there on a match day (Henry Gratton, now a londis). Some guy stopped me and commented 'Wasn't stringer immense today?' in a put on west brit type voice. I hadn't a clue as I don't follow rugby. One of my friends subsequently informed me that Peter Stringer didn't even play in said match. The same day a group of about 4 girls stopped a friend of mine and asked for directions to the 51 pub. He was going there too so told them to walk along with him. He showed them where it was and then proceeded to go in and sit with a bunch of people who didn't look at a single minute of the game despite being decked out in Ireland colours and the gilrs being on the verge of a nervous breakdown when they met him as they'd miss the start of the match.

And yes you are wrong.

Fanny **** wrote:
    Must say I hate Rugby, but what I hate more are Rugby supporters. So many know nothing about sport but follow it just because all their wannabe D4 knob end friends follow it too.

The amount of people I know who'd no interest in sport growing up and all through college who started following Rugby the second they put on a suit and started an office job is unreal.

I don't know what kind of people you mix with, but they must be a shallow insignificant group if thats the way they act.

I would opine that your first paragraph is on the thick end of trolling.

Unfortunately one cannot chose who they go to school/college/or work with or bump into in a pub

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There's an Irish pub nearby where they have roach* racing. The winner gets the spoils of the losers (YUK!).

*The bug not the smoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The OP's problem seems to be people who come to rugby in later life, I was 17 before I saw my first rugby match or had any interest in the sport.

As regards people working in offices and then following rugby, if your mates in work start talking about soccer or maybe invite you to watch a match does that then make you a soccer snob just because you didn't follow it before?

If someone offered you a milky bar in work and you'd never had one before and found out you liked them would that make you a white chocolate snob?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

KdjaCL wrote:
    I like rugby as a lower class person mainly as its violence that you cant get away with on a soccer pitch.

But i do understand the OPs point, go to Sinnots and see why blowing up a pub can be sometimes not that bad.

kdjac
    LOL.... nice

:confused: Why would you like to blow up Sinnotts???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fanny **** wrote:

What about the people who follow sport because tehir country is doing well in it? Have you no words for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Fanny **** wrote:
    Must say I hate Rugby
    Why? It's just a sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why hate anything then? Rascism - Just an opinion? Rapist-somebody who knows how to enjoy himself?

Maybe he hates all sport. :-)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

IMO the OP is incorrect about his assessment that people suddenly start getting interested in rugby just as soon as they start working in an office. As someone who works in an office I can tell you that I have no interest whatsoever in the sport. His assertion that everyone who works in an office is a "yuppie wannabe" is equally ludicrous, most people who work in offices are normal Joe Soaps who just happen to have a job in an office, but are no different from shop workers, truck drivers, etc.

However, my own personal gripe about rugby is how when the 6 Nations comes on every year half the country instantly become "fans" who are just short of foaming at the mouth at the prospect of the rugby being on, despite the fact that the last game they watched was in last year's 6 Nations. And then for some reason they're always amazed when I tell them I won't be watching the rugby because I hate the sport. :rolleyes: I make more of an allowance for the Rugby World Cup as it's a bigger and more infrequent event and casual viewers/fans will want to support Ireland in much the same way as they would if we qualified for the real World Cup (not likely anytime soon).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

I have to say, I kinda agree with the OP. I know some people from college who had absolutely no interest in rugby when i was in college with them but they now let on that they are rugby's greatest fans. I watched a couple of 6 nations games with the same people earlier this yr and it did seem to me they were talking a load of cr@p

I was never into rugby when i was young as I had no association to the sport. None of my friends played it and there wasn't even a team in my school or area when i was young. Saying that, I do now watch the big ireland games as I like seeing irish sports people of any code doing well internationally. I even watched the end of padraig harrington's british open's success earlier this yr, which was probably the first time I ever watched golf. I'm afraid though I'll never get as excited over rugby as would football (gaelic and the foreign kind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

poker_face wrote:
    football (gaelic and the foreign kind).
    You mean like, Rugby Football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

You mean like, Rugby Football?

No, Association football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Fanny **** wrote:

Its probably just because the world cup is on. Soccer is my main sport and i know lots about it but there is plenty of other sports i would follow when a major event is on, such as the rugby world cup, even though I don't know much about rugby. Especially because Ireland are usually decent at it in comparison to most sports. And its nothing to do with D4 or any other rediculous reason. I know lots of people who only follow soccer when a major event is on and don't know much about it - don't really see the problem in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

poker_face wrote:
    I have to say, I kinda agree with the OP. I know some people from college who had absolutely no interest in rugby when i was in college with them but they now let on that they are rugby's greatest fans. I watched a couple of 6 nations games with the same people earlier this yr and it did seem to me they were talking a load of cr@p

I dont think he meant everyone, just that people go to work in an environment where there are rugger fans and jump on the bandwagon. Im a desk slave and I havent fallen into it (mind you my office is mainly foreign, but sure Id a good oul banter before the Slovak matches and will do before the Germany game I suppose, even though the results of our next 3 matches are pretty much pointless unless the Czechs suffer the worst run of results that any respectable team has suffered in modern history). As said, the main irish rugby head in my office was complaining about the amount of people who talk out of their hole about the game whenever a historic match or tournament comes around.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote:
    His assertion that everyone who works in an office is a "yuppie wannabe" is equally ludicrous,

Where did I say this? I never said everyone who works in an office is a yuppie wannabe (I work in an office and most certainly am not). I said so many yuppie wannabes with no interest in Rugby become massive rugby supporters as, IMO, it seems like the 'in' thing.

Also, to other posters, the title asked why yuppies who know nothing about sport start to follow rugby. It did not say that everyone who follows rugby is a yuppie wannabe lemming.

GDM wrote:
    The OP's problem seems to be people who come to rugby in later life, I was 17 before I saw my first rugby match or had any interest in the sport.

As regards people working in offices and then following rugby, if your mates in work start talking about soccer or maybe invite you to watch a match does that then make you a soccer snob just because you didn't follow it before?

If someone offered you a milky bar in work and you'd never had one before and found out you liked them would that make you a white chocolate snob?

Missing my point completely. I'm not talking about late starters. I'm talking about people who jump on a fashionable bandwagon and never did and never will have any interest in Rugby. They just follow it as its fashionable. See post #26 for examples.

Fanny **** wrote:
    Where did I say this? I never said everyone who works in an office is a yuppie wannabe

Oh I dunno, maybe this is why I read it that way
    Fanny **** wrote:

Or this
    Fanny **** wrote:
    As I said some people I have known for over 20 yrs had no interest in rugby til they stuck on a suit for an office job

Or particularly this
    Fanny **** wrote:
    To reiterate I am asking why Rugby is so popular with yuppy wannabes who before they donned a suit had no interest in the sport

Please point out where I said that everyone who works in an office is a yuppie wannabe.

As I stated I work in an office, so to say that would infer that I am also a yuppie wannabe.

PS the 3rd quotation above makes no reference to offices or office workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

obvious troll tbh, I love rugby it's a great sport, I love listening to it while cruising in my soft top bmw

Fanny **** wrote:
    the 3rd quotation above makes no reference to offices or office workers.

No it doesn't, but the first two do and all three refer to suits, so the inference is there.

And while you may not have directly said that everyone who works in an office is a yuppie wannabe, my reading of your posts clearly imply it, even if that was not your intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I read his posts and didn't get that implication at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

zaph wrote:
    No it doesn't, but the first two do and all three refer to suits, so the inference is there.

And while you may not have directly said that everyone who works in an office is a yuppie wannabe, my reading of your posts clearly imply it, even if that was not your intention.

Cheer up buttercup, i'm sure he's not trying to personally insult you.

Having grown up in an area with no Rugger team in school I can see where the OP is coming from!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yuppies? what's this the early eighties again? I don't think I've heard the word yuppie for about 10 years until this thread.

what a bunch of whingers and moaners on AH this week, can't be poor, can't be well off, can't wear a suit, can't like a sport that this OP dislikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I dont think thats a fair statment!

i follow rugby and only started watching it like last year so am still a wee bit sketchy on somethings but i generally love the sport but none of my friends follow it...so you cant say im doing it to fit in...also im not a d4 head being from coolock!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement