Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a dog be trained not to dig a garden??

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I have a collie x who is nearly a year pld. We moved home 4 weeks ago and she has the back garden destroyed completely! She never really dug in our old garden maybe one or twice but nothing to worry about now she makin up for it!!

Is there a way to stop her? any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Take away the shovel and give it a pair of shears :p

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

lol.......if only it were that simple:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could be a few things. Do you get much time to play with her? The previous ownwers might have had a dog or pet and buried some of their stuff there. Maybe there are still anxious or excited and havent settled in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

from my limited knowledge of dog behaviour, I believe a dog will dig in a certain random part of the garden because it picked up an interesting scent. therefore I think your dog is digging so much because it is finding new smells everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think the dog will grow out of it eventually without doing anything. The only thing you can really do is to give a stern warning anytime you see her digging or about to dig.

That works somewhat - of course they always seem to dig when you are not looking. I had a big problem like that too but now its only a rare occurrence and then only in the field and not in the garden proper.:)

• Advertisement

thanks everyone hope she does stop soon had to put the oh workin boots just to go to the line today! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Of course if you have only one dog I am sure it is boredom related. I have a collie x too and I am sure if she did not have the company of the two dobies she would be one difficult hyper active dog - possibly why she was abandoned by her previous owners?

Collies are extremely intelligent active dogs that need plenty of exercise and stimulation. I see my one even getting bored with the dobies constant need for sleep. They are exhausted while she still has tons of energy left. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I have huskies and you can not get them to stop diggin:D if yours did do it in the last house then maybe there was a dog or other animal there before. Try kayan pepper. put it down and it should stop it as it will give the a burnin feelin inthere nose and if the lick it. my granny uses it to stop cats peein in her flowers:)

Of course if you have only one dog I am sure it is boredom related. I have a collie x too and I am sure if she did not have the company of the two dobies she would be one difficult hyper active dog - possibly why she was abandoned by her previous owners?

Collies are extremely intelligent active dogs that need plenty of exercise and stimulation. I see my one even getting bored with the dobies constant need for sleep. They are exhausted while she still has tons of energy left. :)

You might be on to something there im finding it very difficult to keep up with her lately seems to constantly be restless even after walks don't know about another dog tho barely have the room for her (2 kids n her in the kitchen=alot of dodging) maybe a load of toys?

Advertisement