Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

£60 parking ticket at 9.30pm >:(

Options
  • 22-09-2007 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I parked outside a hostel in London in a residential parking spot, checked in and then went to get some food, came back and I got a £60 fine for being parked in a residential spot, silly of me not to read the sign and assume it would be the same as Ireland but the street was empty and it was 9pm at night:(

I'm only here for a few days, so what happens if I don't feel like paying for my crime? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What ties you with the car, did you hire it, borrow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hal1 wrote:
    What ties you with the car, did you hire it, borrow it?
    Just a few hundred threads on Motors. And it's not a car - it's a Transit, with a couch, fireplace, DVD, and other home comforts.

cormie, the food has improved I hear. You'll probably be on a 'clamp on sight' list too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh cormie and his transit defo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yup, it's my transit and I :D

Oh and I moved it to a "meter" parking spot (about 8metres from the last) and set my alarm for 8.30 which is when the meter charges start and was planning to put in a few quid for a few extra hours sleep and once I put in £3 (at £1 per 30 mins) it says it's out of order:mad:

I have 14 days to pay the £60 and if I don't, it goes up to £120! lol. Parking is a joke here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

dont pay it, theres nothing saying you have to, i presume its irish regestered btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think you'll have to pay it according to this article.
    The loophole which allowed speeders to avoid fines if the offence was committed abroad has been closed by a new European Union law passed on February 24, 2005.

Now, if you are given a fine or fixed penalty notice for any amount over £50 while in another EU country, British officials are obliged to collect any money owing from you when you get home. The rule will be implemented in all member states by 2007.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/archive/86493/87759/87872/87879/?&R=EPI-87879

Would that apply to a parking ticket too though I wonder? Speeding an parking would be different, right? So they have fines accounted for but not points, yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

its a different jurisdiction, ever try to appeal a parking fine in ireland, they usually drop it!! same applies, they will just drop it and move onto someone else, they cant even get you address from an irish plate, so my advice, ignore it, and then if it goes any further which i cant see as being possible, you can claim you never saw the ticket on the car(someone could of taken it or something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've picked up several tickets in the recent past on Irish-reg'd cars in the UK. Never paid, and have never heard a single thing about them since.
    If your morals say pay, then pay.

Oh my morals are fine, an empty street at 9.30 at night! I don't agree with such a harsh fine so I think I'll let it slide... I just hope they don't catch me next time I enter the country:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't worry. I hear they use lube now - you might even enjoy it! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

At least the problem isn't under the bonnet this time cormie.:D
    Don't pay and put a notice on your site that "due to unforeseen circumstances " you don't deliver to the UK anymore.:p :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I think it depends on the borough were you got the fine, so will follow it up some wont. ive had my irish car in london/surrey 6months now and have got 2 parking fines, both of which i've forgot to pay, nothing came of them.

Kali wrote:
    I've picked up several tickets in the recent past on Irish-reg'd cars in the UK. Never paid, and have never heard a single thing about them since.
    If your morals say pay, then pay.

cormies morals say no, he'll skip where possible from previous threads anyhow!!

lol, well business has picked up so it's not really about the money this time;)

cormie wrote:
    lol, well business has picked up so it's not really about the money this time;)
    good to hear cormie, did you get the new van after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I think it depends on the borough were you got the fine, so will follow it up some wont. ive had my irish car in london/surrey 6months now and have got 2 parking fines, both of which i've forgot to pay, nothing came of them.

Does your insurance cover you after 6 months? Mine didn't so am now driving a UK car (with lovely cheaper UK insurance)... unfortunaly that means I now have to pay new parking fines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Kali wrote:
    Does your insurance cover you after 6 months? Mine didn't so am now driving a UK car (with lovely cheaper UK insurance)... unfortunaly that means I now have to pay new parking fines :)

It does with Quinn Direct.
    For me personally insurance was more expensive in the UK

Advertisement