Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change to an Irish license?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got stopped by the Garda tonight, asked me for my DL, it is a french one, the officer told me how come I have not changed it to an Irish one because I have been living here for over a year.
    I replied I wasn't aware and that I only knew the US citizens can only drive in the country for one year with their US DL.

Anyway I was really surprised about this but I did not wanted to argue with the man. I checked on the web tonight, and apparently I have no obligation whatsoever to change it to an Irish one, but I can if I want to.

What do you recon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭r0nn13

Keep your French one unless you really really want an Irish one.

If you move back to France would it be as easy to swap your Irish license for a French one?

Seems quite a few gard;s don't know motoring law these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well I do not want an Irish one because as far as I know the Irish driving license has an expiration date, in France, they do not expire.
    Many gards were surprised here, many times I had to tell them they do not expire because they asked me for the expiration date.
    Anyway yes it would be possible to change an Irish DL to a French one if you were living in France.

I suppose the real problem is that they can't remove points on foreign licenses.

That might change one day, when there will be a centralized european DL database, but this is not the case yet as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep, any EU licence is fine for here. There's nothing they can do about it. Keep your French one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are the french using CC sized licences yet or are they still using the pinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Bond-007 wrote:
    Are the french using CC sized licences yet or are they still using the pinks?

when I left in 2004 it was still the pink one, a bit smaller than the Irish one though, you can carry it in your wallet.
    Road documents/insurance are huge in Ireland, this is weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement