Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Week 4 - Schuster Is A Genius, Claims Maradona

• 22-09-2007 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

The only game in Europe really worth watching on Saturday will be Barca at home to Sevilla - preview

Sunday's fixtures will be overshadowed by another dour affair between Man Utd and Chelsea.

Saturday, 22 September 2007

Barcelona v Sevilla, 21:00
    Recreativo Huelva v Espanyol, 19:00
    Sunday, 23 September 2007
    Almeria v Mallorca, 16:00
    Atletico Madrid v Racing Santander, 18:00
    Getafe v Deportivo La Coruna, 16:00
    Levante v Athletic Bilbao, 16:00
    Real Betis v Valencia, 16:00
    Real Zaragoza v Osasuna, 16:00
    Valladolid v Real Madrid, 20:00
    Villarreal v Murcia, 16:00

Also, special mention on the 'return' of Raúl below.
    Diego Maradona believes that Bernd Schuster is a tactical genius and Real Madrid were right to axe Fabio Capello for his former FC Barcelona team-mate.
    Schuster Is A Genius, Claims Maradona

The Argentinian legend also revealed that he attempted to install Schuster as coach of Boca Juniors last season, but was impressed when the trainer turned down his advances.

Having followed his time at Getafe, Maradona thinks that the German trainer's style of coaching is a progression from the way he played.

"He is tactically perfect as a coach, just like he was as a player," Maradona told Marca.

"What he did at Getafe is amazing. Real Madrid have signed him for a reason. It was obvious he was a strategist from the start and that he would one day become a great coach.

"It was the right decision (form Real Madrid) to make. I say this in all honesty because I wanted him to coach Boca Juniors last season.

"He decided not to because he had a contract with Getafe. He is a man of his word and kept it. Some other coach would have probably left his team in mid-season, but not him."

Maradona then reflected on two of compatriots' situation at the Bernabéu and is confident that former Boca Juniors star Fernando Gago will make his name with Madrid.

"Regularity is important for a midfielder, and he's not getting it," El Diego continued.

"He stood out at Boca Juniors, but Real Madrid has amazing players that stand out next to him. I think he is indecisive and that he's not playing like he really knows how to.

"Schuster is still forming the team, looking at who is better at creating ball movement and at scoring... This means Gago is finding it hard to shine. I know he will eventually earn a spot on the team. I have faith in him."

Javier Saviola's decision to quit Barça and move to arch rivals Madrid was the right thing to do, according to Maradona.

"Joining Real Madrid has been a good change for Saviolita. I'm happy for him," he stated.

Despite the wealth of summer signings, Madrid still have a number of home grown players in their ranks and Maradona confessed he is a big fan of Guti.

"He is an elegant player. I love the guy," he explained. "No matter how many players they've brought in for his position, he's always made it and he is still on the team.

"He deserves great credit for that. He adapts to any position. He's been proving his worth for years at Real Madrid, and that's not an easy thing to do."

Finally, Maradona was asked whether he believes Raúl should be recalled to the Spanish national team and the former Napoli superstar had no doubts.

"Raúl doesn't need me to praise him. He has nothing to prove," he said. "Raúl is a genius. No other footballer has played at such a high level for such a long time. I've never doubted him."

Lucas Brown

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=421376

Real Madrid - Raúl

All the talk of the King of Spanish football being past his prime has been put to bed after a series of inspirational performances. Against Werder Bremen last Wednesday, he did almost everything except put on the goalkeeper's gloves.

He was winning possession in his own half, doubling as a playmaker, creating chances and an assist, beating defenders with his silky skills and ofcourse, he found the back of the net again: his third in four matches in all competitions. With Euro 2008 looming in the horizon, a possible return to the Spanish national side will undoubtedly spur on El Capitan even more.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=421822

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yes, nice, cannot wait for this match tonight. I wonder if Ath.Madrid will get their first win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sky at 8:30 :D

Fancy Sevilla to win if he plays a proper midfield and not the tea bag like one he put out vs Arsenal.

Maresca has to play.

kdjac

Cesc is the pundit :O

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, seriously?

lol, seriously?

Knows his stuff, tbh being a BARCA FAN* he knows the team inside out.

Check out javi Guerros 2 goals for Recreativo 1st one is a stunning piece of skill.

Henry has a special message for Cesc which is a bit odd for punditry.

* Sky lad pointing that out quite a bit.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Any streams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Man that Sevilla kit is shocking!

Man that Sevilla kit is shocking!

Check out the barca keepers kit its very argie like.

kdjac

5 minutes gone lost count of how many shots theres been so far.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stream.....
    sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/6002

That jersey is ridiculous :D Has to be a dare!

• Advertisement

game started well turned into a game of Sevilla sitting back and barca trying to squish them.

needs a wonder goal.

kdjac

Step forward Lionel messi

1-0

kdjac

peno and again messi

2-0

kdjac

kanoute with late goal

2-1 over decent game Sevilla never realy got into again the lack of MARESCA let them down.

Cesc is pure genius on pitch and on camera.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What do people make of Ronaldinho being dropped by Barcelona? I can't help but feel that Barcelona should have sold him for mega bucks to Chelsea after a pretty average season last time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

What do people make of Ronaldinho being dropped by Barcelona? I can't help but feel that Barcelona should have sold him for mega bucks to Chelsea after a pretty average season last time around.

I have to agree. I don't think Ronaldinho has the same appetite and desire to play for Barça as he did in previous seasons. Rijkaard wants to give chances to Giovanni and Bojan aswell, so yeah, they should have sold him in the summer.

The game last night wasn't the best tbh, apart from some little bits of magic by Messi and Iniesta. Henry hasn't quite adjusted to La Liga yet and seems to want a bit too much time on the ball, which is strange considering the pace of the Premiership. Barça fans are giving him the benefit of the doubt at the moment and I'm sure he'll come good. I really like the look of Iniesta this year aswell and think he may well force his way into the team ahead of Xavi or Deco. Yaya Toure seems like a really good signing aswell. I'm raging that I couldn't get a ticket for last night's match but I'll try and get my hands on one for the Zaragoza match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I thought Henry did very well to set Messi up for one of his goals. I think he's just testing the waters at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I only watched a small bit but Henry looks a bit like Gudjohnsen did when he started. He hasn't got his cockiness and is trying too hard to fit in. No doubt he will settle in though, he's too good not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

It stands to reason, Thierry will struggle at the start, the higher standard of player takes a while to get use to.

Just to make a point, I would say that Ath. Madrid are La Liga's Tottenham, just look at the contrast in quality between the two. It's astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I thought Henry did very well to set Messi up for one of his goals. I think he's just testing the waters at the moment.

That was more about Messi's control and finish than the "pass" from Henry. He'll definitely come good, he just needs to get used to this new system and his new team mates as well as the league. There's a great mix of older and younger attacking players in the Barça ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

An Citeog wrote:
    I really like the look of Iniesta this year aswell and think he may well force his way into the team ahead of Xavi or Deco.
    My favourite player in the world by far. Rijkaard tries to fit him in with both Xavi and Deco but hasn't seemed to realise yet that dropping Deco is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

valladolid v real madrid is at half time now, best match of the season ive seen of all leagues so far, very open and full of attacking stuff, valladolid more than holding their own.

and there hasnt even been a goal yet :eek: great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

amazing goal from lopez!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What a goal! Deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

goal from saviola, shocking defending....

Advertisement