Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cartell history checks

Options
  • 22-09-2007 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    Cartell have some sample reports on their web site (http://www.cartell.ie/sample.jsp) showing pretty detailed records for a couple of years but the other history check at www.carireland.ie is 2.50 cheaper. Has anyone bought car history reports from sources other than Cartel so I can compare which one is the best value?? Maybe someone could post a link to a report they got?
    Later,
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

May not be all you are looking for but there's more free info here than on Cartell.

http://www.benchmarkcars.ie/auctions/reg.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Folks

How accurate is the Cartell website, I obtained a Reg no for my imported Vehicle which I thought was low, checked it on Cartell and came up with a Volkiswagon Caddy (The imported vehicle is a Merc Sprinter!).

Revenue messed me about for 8 weeks before I got the reg number which I assumed was the next available number in the sequence but it appears to have been a reissued number, does revenue do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe the car belonging to the original number was scrapped or permanently exported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I got a cartell report last week and its NOT upto date.
    It said it had finance due on the car and when i asked the seller he proved that it was paid off.Is there any better way to get a report on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 equaliser

drdre, how did he prove that the finance was cleared? I heard that some dodgy dealers were forging letters/faxes from banks?

I rang cartell on fri and they said that they always phone the loan company to verify finance when they do a finance check. Amazingly banks do not give out this information to the public!!!!!! I think that your bank will check finance on a car for you if are taking out a car loan with them but if you are buying for cash then they dont give a ****. Some garages can do finance checks but I suppose you have to trust them. I didnt bother with a finance check as I got my car from a garage that my uncle has been using for years and he said that they were sound. Does anyone know of a way of doing free finance checks?

So I bought the car yesterday, a 99 Avensis Terra, new tyres and it had just passed its nct. The car was fairly clean, one or two small dents, but had a fair whack of miles on it so the price was very attractive. I was just worried that it might have been a taxi so I did the report anyway and it was clear. The report said that there was a gap in tax and I showed this to the garage and they said that that sometimes happened when cars changed hands. Anyway he gave me another 50 Euro off his final price so it was worth doing the check, heh heh. I love haggling!! Tis only my second car (I was driving a really crappy Fiesta so the difference in size will take me a few weeks to get used to) I hear that Toyotas are good for 250K miles so it should last me at least till the next NCT.
    Em

• Advertisement

keith, thanks for that link, good information there alright but I just needed to check if it was a taxi before I handed over cash. Is there a free link where I could have checked that?
    Em

Boomer,
    I just read your entry again, basically what you are saying is that there might be TWO cars going around with the same reg?
    That is something that should be reported, where I dont know but maybe the gardai is a good start.
    Lets hope that if the other car is still on the road and not scrapped they are a careful driver and dont clock up loads of speeding fines!
    Or maybe you could be the one clocking up penalty points for them?

Em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woogie Boogie

I have used both equaliser(dont want to put up the link thought as i will be giving away the reg) the information I got back was pretty much identical but the finace check on www.carsireland.ie was instant while I had to wait 24 hrs on the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

equaliser wrote:
    Boomer,
    I just read your entry again, basically what you are saying is that there might be TWO cars going around with the same reg?
    That is something that should be reported, where I dont know but maybe the gardai is a good start.
    Lets hope that if the other car is still on the road and not scrapped they are a careful driver and dont clock up loads of speeding fines!
    Or maybe you could be the one clocking up penalty points for them?

Em

I got in touch with the VRO, seems the wrong number was originally sent out to me (thank goodness I hadnt got plates for it yet!) was just another cock up in a long list of cockups by them trying to get a licence number (is 8 weeks a record?)

Hmmm, I wonder how often the government mess up and issue the same registration to two vehicles?, at least you found out in time.
    I suppose its progress that cartell and the auction site can tell you if the make and model details match your motor registration for free.
    I spent a few hours driving my avensis today and its great, definately more comfortable than the banger I used to drive (rapidly fading memories).
    Em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 litetea

hi, here is a report i got from autocheck. i dont think it will display well but it might give ppl something to compare against cartell. i exed out my details so that is what the xxx mean below. hope this helps. tanya

History & Finance Check

Vehicle Details Registration No : xxxxxxx Fueltype : Diesel Model Description : RENAULT LAGUNA 11 PRES02 120SS Bodytype : Estate Date of first registration : 04/08/04 CC : 1870 Date of first registration in Ireland: 04/08/04 Transmission : Manual Chassis No : xxxxxxxxxx Colour : Black Engine No : xxxxxxxxxx Number of Axles : Not Available Wheelbase : 2740 Number of Doors : 5 Gross Vehicle Weight : Not Available No of Seats : 5 Logbook Information No of owners : 1 Date of sale : 22/09/04 Origin Data Vehicle Imported : No Country of origin : N/A Previous Registration No : N/A NCT Data Current NCT : Yes Cert No : Not Available Due Date : 03/08/08 Road Tax

Current Tax : No Expiry Date : 31/05/07 Status Current Use : This Vehicle is taxed as a Private Vehicle Rental Car : No Exported : No Write Off Status (as per NVF) Write Off : No Scrapped : No Odometer Readings Odometer Contradiction : No
    Our database does not contain any odometer readings for this vehicle that are higher than your current reading of 57000 Miles Hire Purchase Information

The Irish Credit Bureau currently indicates that this car is subject to a finance agreement (see details below). We recommend that you contact the seller directly to determine the vehicle's current status and ask for evidence in the form of a letter from their finance house to ensure that all finance owing is cleared before completing any final purchase agreement. Finance Outstanding : Yes Bank : Bank of Scotland Ireland Agreement Number : 642846102 Starting Date : 19/08/2004 Period : 48 months Completion Date : 19/08/2008

Thank you for using Autocheck, you have been charged €35.00 for this enquiry.

To print the report please click on the printer icon above.

A link to this report has been emailed to you and will remain valid to xxxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Lads i find motorcheck.ie much much better. It used to be autocheck.

Ive had to use it twice in the last few months, once to sell my own car (in order to prove to the buyer that there was no finance outstanding). Here's an example of another report i posted in another thread. This is just the history check though:

MOTORCHECK REPORT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 extrobert

The motor check report its pretty lame. Whats the story with the actor shrugging his shoulders? Is that needed or just padding? **** is this even a real report?
    I looked at their stolen register. There is only a few cars in it, less than 10 I think. Only the Gardai know what cars are stolen, give them a call before you buy the car if you are suspicious, anything else is a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

extro , you forget to mention cartell in that post !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

extrobert won't be coming back again!

Advertisement