Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noah Grey

• 22-09-2007 8:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭

The thread looking for pictures from Dublin reminded me of Noah, and I had a look at his website and found that it has not been updated since the loss of his partner and his move back to the US.

While I only met him once (at Chareville) he used to contribute here and I am hoping that somebody has heard from him and that he's OK.

Edit: I just spent the last while looking through his Ireland set, I'd forgotten how good they are.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I miss him too :( I had a few emails from him when he first moved but nothing in a while. I might drop him a line or two over the weekend.

I think he might have started to take pictures again recently tho, hopefully they'll be on the site soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'll try and get in touch with him, as we're not all that far apart, location-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I was in contact with Noah before the holidays. I'll mail him again. I think he would appreciate it if he knew we were thinking of him. He does check in here too occasionally so maybe he will say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Aye. He's missed.
    ED: Sigh. Why do I only post here when I'm too tired or blind?
    Try dropping him an email and letting him know we miss him: noah (at) noahgrey (dot) com ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I regularly check his website hoping to see some new photos. Hope he drops in to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I didn't know him very well but I love his work ... maybe we should invite him over for a visit ... though I suppose it is a long wat to come ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah i'd echo the sentiment - nice guy and a great photographer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Greysoul

ah, geez, I wasn't expecting this... =)

I'm still around, more or less... very long story short, I completely blew apart & am slowly getting myself back together. I've been in a kind of retirement photo-wise (I took more photos in my last two weeks in Ireland, thanks to Danny, Julie & Al, than I have here in the seven months since - almost eBayed my 5D) but I've given myself a soonish deadline to get my site going again, I wrote a novel, have some work that'll see me traveling a fair bit next year, & going back to Dublin as soon as I can is a sacred duty for me... so... yeah. *sigh*. Insert best attempt at a happy "life goes on and all that" face here.

Thanks so much for the kind words... really miss everyone I met here & think about you guys all the time, the little time I had to be a part of things here was just about the best time of my life.

Hey Noah!!

Great to hear from you. I've been meaning to contact you but at the same time didn't want to be interfering. I knew you were going through stuff and I hoped maybe you would drop in or something. And here you are :D

We've all been keeping an eye out for you and thinking of you. Looking forward to seeing your site spring into life again and seeing you back here in Ireland as soon as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eh Noah -- never met you , but love your work -- i've gone through some painfull personal stuff myself recently , and found photography a great help , sure you know , so glad you didn't ebay your gear -- it will help long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭10-10-20

nilhg wrote:
    Edit: I just spent the last while looking through his Ireland set, I'd forgotten how good they are.

That photo of the Temple Bar is just haunting... it's like a Charles Dickens set paused in time. Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm glad to hear you're *OK* Noah, its a long road back from a loss like yours, hopefully the good days will soon outnumber the bad .

As we say over here, keep your best side out, and hopefully we will see some new shots on your website in the near future, you might even drop by here every so often.

Good to see you Noah! :) I'm really really glad to hear you're thinking about the site and photography again. I'm looking forward to seeing some new work from you. Do you think your style will have changed? Different environment and different life and all that...

Anyway, I'm glad you posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

your writing and your photography are beautiful. Hope the sun shines again soon.

Actually, Funny this should show up - Noah's just started posting and shooting again :) I've been chatting to him a bit and he's doing ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 realjohnone

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but Noah is shutting down his website permanently with effect from January 1st. This is the message that has appeared on his website.

On January 1, 2009, I will be permanently closing my web sites and ending my online presence.

If you wish to order any prints of my work — from either my main photography site or the Grey Expectations archives — or either of my photo books, please do so before January 1st.

As of that date, I will never again be selling prints of my work, and the books will be removed from sale.

Thank you to everyone who has followed my sites and supported me over the past thirteen years.

— Noah Grey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I noticed that the other day. I had him as a friend on facebook and he's dissapeared from there too. I'm sure he has his reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

DarrenG wrote: »
    I noticed that the other day. I had him as a friend on facebook and he's dissapeared from there too. I'm sure he has his reasons.

Likewise

Yeah, I noticed too. Maybe he will be in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I am sure he has his reasons too. I am just not convinced those reasons are the best idea he ever had.

I only knew Noah through his writing and his late partner...who was a very close friend (long story) and I am pretty sure his late partner would tell you, that if you have anything good to say to Noah, right now would be a very good time to say it.

• Advertisement

Crap :( Off to email him...

Crap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mollybennett

Hey, y'all...I'm a long-time online friend of Noah's, like many of you. I hate to be morbid, but I just kinda...have this sinking feeling that Noah might not be, ya know...with us anymore. Does anyone know? Has anyone heard anything? It's just this feeling I have. I hate it, but it won't go away. I'm worried. I've BEEN worried ever since February of 2007, and the few posts he made in 2008 did nothing to aleviate my fears.

It's natural to feel the way you do. What other conclusion can you draw? I have not heard from him for a few months. Looking at his final page it may well be that he has just given up on the "online reality". I can understand how that could happen too. Lets hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Noah was about these parts before me so I don't know very much about him but would this be of any use. Maybe time for a bit more chatter than type???? Just a thought for those of you that may know Noah.

Thanks An Cat. That's a good idea I think. Or maybe a letter..

Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Unfortunately I don't know the person you are talking about, but this is becoming more and more common - people leaving or reducing their on-line time and activities to spend more time among real people, talking and not just typing. I do hope so that it is this case too.

ThOnda,

I am afraid that in Noah's case that would not be possible, he has been a recluse since childhood...

...often not leaving the same room for years.

Of course, on the other hand, he is staggeringly talented in several ways.

I would go for the Austin address if I were you...I know Noah lived there before he was in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, I'm nearly 100% sure the Austin address is his.

If anyone has any contact, can they please let me know. I've haven't been in contact with Noah in quite a while. I hope he's alright.

For those of you that don't know him, Noah is a fantastically talented, interesting, kind soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kikei

Hey, I'm a long-time fan of Noah and was a friend of his on facebook... stumbled across this forum accidentally but thought I'd say that I'm also really concerned. Noah was a kind and gentle soul who inspired me greatly and if anyone hears from him, could you please tell us so we know he's ok?

I had a look at the address someone pointed out... I thought he lived in San Antonio, not Austin... forgive me, I'm not from here, so I don't know much about the geography of Texas. Still, could someone confirm if that's the correct address?

I wish him the best and hope he's all right...

• Advertisement

I thought it was a small town? Oh I dunno :( I have someone I can ask I think maybe. I'll try tomorrow..

San Antonio and Austin are only 80 miles apart...and if it isn't Noah, it HAS to be a relative.

I actually located Noah's flight to Dublin for him when he came here..and I can't remember which for sure...

I think either airport would have suited him...but one was preferable...

I can't find the emails...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, afaik, when he moved back he was with his parents for a while, maybe he moved out again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dont post on here ever really but i still have several of his photos saved on my harddrive from ages ago. I hope hes doing ok cause his photography is actually somthing spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hey folks,

I appreciate all the posts are genuine and out of care and love for the individual and his work. Noah was part of our community here for a period and I thus appreciate that the posts are relevant and that users are finding interest. However I want to momentarily call a halt to speculative postings.

There may be many explanations for what is happening in Noah's life and the apparent inability of people to make contact - the community's thoughts, prayers and good wishes are with Noah that he may be ok and perhaps just taking time for himself.

Hence I need to close the thread temporarily but I am sensitive to the needs of the community to discuss and pass on information so if people might update any of the moderators with information that they have or come across then I'm happy that the thread can be reopened to enable such posting.

Thanks everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement