Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World in conflict

Options
  • 22-09-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Anybody played this new RTS yet? It's got rave reviews on eurogamer and hexus.net. It's only 32 euro on cdwow as well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah, got the collectors Edition yesterday (ya get a free Creative headset, for €5 more). Looks very impressive, was playing at my friends. Only did the campaign so cant judge the paper-rock-scissor dynamic of the multiplay.

The tactical call ins are just plain nuts, we obliterated a small squadron of tanks with some artillery and the smoke obscured the carnage for almost a minute, leaving only craters. Still have yet to see the fuel-air bomb and nuke but have high hopes.

Game also comes with a 10 day trial of the multiplay if ya want to try with a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

How I dream about my computer being able to run this!

Is it coming out on 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, it's coming out on the 360 sometime before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Simply the most visually stunning game I've ever played.
    And the gameplay is top notch aswell.
    AND Alec baldwin is the freakin' narrator, what more could you want?

Magnificent game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah this is my kind of RTS. Being a person that hates RTS's :D I LOVE how its based in real time, unlike normal RTS's where you are supposed to believe that a full blown castle/base can be built in a matter of minutes.

I love the location, fighting in america is an excellent change of pace to the usually soviet or space battlegrounds.

Although this game is pwning my sig computer. On MAX everything at 1280x1024 with my quad overclocked to 3.2Ghz and my 8800GTX at 620/1100 I managed an average of 30fps in the benchmark. In the scene where the nuke goes off it drops to around 13fps, lol. This is definitely a game that will come into its own as hardware gets better and cheaper.

The graphics are simply stunning for an RTS. The fact I can zoom right into the face of my soldier and have it look like an FPS is excellent, even though most of the time this is wasted as i'm playing from an aerial view.

Definitely one not to miss out on. It also has the option for mods as well which I can't wait for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a fairly flashy looking game. The Nuke looks amazing :D Sadly, the singleplayer game is a simple matter of moving all your units to point A, then to point B etc, and making sure they're all at full strength. The stories of each level and the maps are great, but it's the same old thing every time (even though it's great fun doing the same thing over and over :D).

The multiplayer, however is brilliant! It's fast and furious and the fact that when you're units are destroyed, you can call in more, means that when you're rubbish like me, you still won't have to wait till the next match starts to play again.

It's well worth a buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

played the beta which was great fun, I'd love to pick this up but can't spare the cash, hopefully I can pick it up secondhand in the not too distant future

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Fantastic and best RTS ive ever played.
    Online is an absolute blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Ordered it from cdwow, had to resist buying the collectors edition from Xtravision today. It was very reasonably at priced at 50e's, given that play.com are charging 40 sterling!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I picked up the collectors edition of it and looks like good fun.

Its a very pretty looking game for an rts or as the designers like to call it an RTT or real time tactical as it does away with base building. Interestingly you can see on the bonus dvd when they first had a beta competition of the game at Dreamhack 2006 the competition teams where made up of primarily Counter Strike teams who where able to pick the game up very fast, which would not have been possible in most traditional rts.

From a single player perspective its similar to most other rts game which you basically attack from point a to point b and as you progress you unlock more and more units and tactical supports. Nothing new or exciting in that regard and the story is told well with good narration. Still I find most single player games and single player campaigns a chore to play through and I have a feeling this will be no different.

Have not tried it yet in mutiplayer which I hear is really really good looking forward to testing it out in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Love the demo, this game looks stunning even on my laptop. Smoke effects and explosions really add to this so much.

We will deffo being seeing this game in comptetitions!

Gonna buy it soon, whats the collectors edition about?

The collectors edition features a documentary on the Berlin wall, a bonus disk with a behind the scenes look at the making of world in conflict and trailers.
    Another 4th disc contains a 10 day free full mutiplayer trail for World In Conflict which you can give to anyone you want to try the game out.
    The package also contains a free World In Conflict Creative HS-390 headset which is nice as the multiplayer game has a heavy emphasis on team play.
    The last item is a authentic piece of the actual Berlin Wall.
    Finally it comes packaged in a different box with the flags of the Soviet Union and United States on it.

Interestingly the collector's edition in Poland will be different compared to collector's editions in other countries. It includes an exclusive World in Conflict wooden container, limited edition collector's box art packaging (Soviet or USA Flag), a full-sized flag of the USA or Soviet Union, an exclusive World in Conflict poster, a t-shirt and cap with the World in Conflict logo and decorations and a World in Conflict exclusive Creative HS-390 headset.

For the extra €5.00 I payed I would say the collectors edition is worth it.

The game has already been accepted into the 2007 Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) World Tour.

Azza wrote:
    For the extra €5.00 I payed I would say the collectors edition is worth it.

Where did you buy the collectors edition?

GameStop Athlone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got this on Friday, and finished the single player campaign yesterday. Absolutly loved it. The graphics are amazing, and its really fast paced at times. Some of the last levels (
    The return to Seattle in particular
    ) is really intense. The tactical aids are great too. The carpet bombing is really cool. I took out a massive column of armour with a well placed run on the last level.

Havent tried multiplayer yet (dont have broadband atm), but i will do when i get the chance.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its the first game which manages to beat up my hi-spec PC (unless its just crappy ATI drivers) but I have to say, I think this is the best RTS game ever. Better than Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, Homeworld, C&C's, WC's you name it. And I haven't even tried MP yet.

Another contender for GOTY in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Steve J

I just got a €2 voucher from cd wow so must order it :D

I love the titles Max mentioned above but this just beats the pants off them all.
    A definite GOTY nominee for sure.

I havent touched the campaign,multiplayer is just a beast of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I was in the Beta for a long time and have to say - Multiplayer is absolutely cracking. In a close battle you can see 5 or 6 nukes in one round!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just played mp this evening after finishing the campaign. Brilliant fun. this game just keeps getting better.

• Advertisement

Demon do you have any wise tactics?
    I do pretty well but always up for learning more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Installing...

Looking forward to this.

Still, a pox on Game for charging €50 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Another game that doesn't do well in geography. Check out the European map, especially central Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Hi Guys - Does anybody know where I can buy JUST the cd key for this game so I can play online? Is this possible?

The CD that some people mention which contains a CD Key which allows you to play online for 10 days - if somebody could pm this to me so I can try it out it would be much appreciated.

EirEv.

EireEV wrote:
    Hi Guys - Does anybody know where I can buy JUST the cd key for this game so I can play online? Is this possible?

The CD that some people mention which contains a CD Key which allows you to play online for 10 days - if somebody could pm this to me so I can try it out it would be much appreciated.

EirEv.

I don't think its available for online purchase yet. Box only I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Downloading the demo. Is there a chance it will run smoothly enough on....a Dell Dimension 4600? Thats 2.8Ghz cpu (Single Core!) 1GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX5200?

Conor108 wrote:
    Downloading the demo. Is there a chance it will run smoothly enough on....a Dell Dimension 4600? Thats 2.8Ghz cpu (Single Core!) 1GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX5200?

yeah... on very low settings, like minimum everything at 800x600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ya know the mission with the choppers on the three islands off manhatten?...ya, so...did anyone notice the world trade centre was still there in the skyline....yeah..,em wat year is the game sposed to be based on...

UNREAL game tho, sucks the life outta a decent rig tho, (new nvidia drivers out yesterday, sposed to help a good bit)

jus got new company of heroes aswell, wonder wcwill come out tops

ya, so...did anyone notice the world trade centre was still there in the skyline....yeah..,em wat year is the game sposed to be based on...

Its based on the cold war,dont you have the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Played the single player campaign....got bored after about an hour...Not that impressed at all. Might try the Multiplayer tonight and report back.
    Back to COH : Opposing Fronts for me.

Advertisement