Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet overflowing into outlet - whats wrong ?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi

The toilet started acting up yesterday - it keeps filling itself even after full, meaning the water is running off the overflow pipe - ballcock looks ok - what do I need to check / replace please ?

thanks
    fullirish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

fullirish wrote:
    Hi

The toilet started acting up yesterday - it keeps filling itself even after full, meaning the water is running off the overflow pipe - ballcock looks ok - what do I need to check / replace please ?

thanks
    fullirish

could be piece of dirt in valve
    turn off water and take valve apart and clean

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

hi ircoha - thanks for the reply - have turned off the water - excuse my ignorance - where is the valve ?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

fullirish wrote:
    hi ircoha - thanks for the reply - have turned off the water - excuse my ignorance - where is the valve ?

cheers

in the cistern, at the other end of the ball cock: any chance of a pic as there are 100's of different types

is it like thsi
    http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Plastic_Inlet_Valves.html

browse the rest of this site for some pics

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

hi - it is fairly old - 10 to 15 years the ballcock and its attachment are attached to the underside of a cylinder like thing by means of a split clip - i presume the valve is in the cylinder thing - i presume I detach the ballcock arm and use a wrench to unscrew the cylinder to ensure nothing caugh in it.

No camera sorry (wife hopped it off the floor last week!).

cheers
    fullirish

Advertisement