Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever thought of fostering/adopting a dog?.

Options
  • 22-09-2007 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Ashtown pound (North Dublin) is full and lots of dogs are on the extrem danger list now.

Here's just one lovely dog likely to be killed this weekend;

http://dogsindistress.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1190151885

And there's LOTS more like him there waiting for either an adoption or someone to foster while the volunteers with Dogsindistress.org organise a 'forever' home for the fostered dog.

SO if your thinking of getting a new dog, or know someone who might be thinking along those lines point them towards rescue or fostering. Fostering is great as its like taking a test drive without the obligation of long term ownership and then finding its not for you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

My 2 doggies are rescue dogs - none of them have " issues " - one took a good while to house train but her previous owner had been sticking her nose in her wee so that explains that one !!
    Dog No. 2 is fabulous - obedience trained ( when it suits her ! ) and a recently qualified Peata dog - she is qualified to visit children in hospital and elderly folk etc .

I wouldn't ever consider buying a dog when there are so so many out there awaiting on death row.

Dog No.2 came from Dogs Aid animal sanctuary and they had assessed her for 10 days before re-homing her - they had her down to a tee - she was neutered , vaccinated , temperament assessed , microchipped and health checked - you wouldn't get that from most breeders and they only asked for a donation.

As for fostering - I have had many many fosters , some good , some fantastic and some right little gits but it's really rewarding to see them go off to their new homes and feel you've made a difference.

I would urge anyone thinking of it to contact DID and have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I would love to foster but I live in the north, would I still be able too? Would they have a health check as I have dogs my self.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

andrawolf wrote:
    I would love to foster but I live in the north, would I still be able too? Would they have a health check as I have dogs my self.:D

Absolutely you can foster in N.I.

Contact the people at www.dogsindistress.org

Transport would be arranged from Dublin to N.I. for you no problem.

Failing that there's also www.petsireland.invisionzone.com

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Agree 100%, why buy when you can rescue.
    Got Ali from PAWS and she is an absolute joy.
    From day 1 she settled in our house and has never been any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Hi guys,

I've been thinking of adopting a dog and I was wondering if it would be a good idea with a 3 yr old? She's not afraid of dogs from what I can see as my parents have 2, a Lab and a Jack Russell but I'm a bit worried that she might be too young?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Eyeofthetiger, a good rescue/shelter will have assessed the dogs and will have a good idea which ones will be good in a family environment. It is also possible to get pups from shelters if that makes you less nervous - greyhounds are great family pets in particular and are very laid back around children.

www.paws.ie for more information .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Hey all,

My sister is home after a year away, just before she went her old english sheepdog passed away. She feels like coming home to a place without a four legged friend isnt home at all, she really wants to adopt and has her heart set on a staffie after endless hours out playing with my little fella mikey.

Anyway everytime i go onto DID.org and click on homes needed it keeps saying i cannot access this forum or something like that anyway, i tried registering and never got the email with my pass word, anybody having the same problems??

She will be living in kerry so if she was to adopt from a dublin pound how would the home check and so on work?

What other places could i get in contact with to see if they have a staffie??
    Thanks in advance.
    Vinnie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Hey all,

My sister is home after a year away, just before she went her old english sheepdog passed away. She feels like coming home to a place without a four legged friend isnt home at all, she really wants to adopt and has her heart set on a staffie after endless hours out playing with my little fella mikey.

Anyway everytime i go onto DID.org and click on homes needed it keeps saying i cannot access this forum or something like that anyway, i tried registering and never got the email with my pass word, anybody having the same problems??

She will be living in kerry so if she was to adopt from a dublin pound how would the home check and so on work?

What other places could i get in contact with to see if they have a staffie??
    Thanks in advance.
    Vinnie..

Hi Vinnie, You have posted a msg on the DID board about Hogan the staffie? If you can't login you prob can't see replies but a lady has replied to you abotu Hogan asking you to give her a call on 0863570580 if you are interested in him. Her name is Sarah.

Good luck & let us know how you get on!

Got my access to the site now. Thanks for that Thalia, was talking to her there, they have 5 staffies in total:eek: , sorry for the language but the amount of **** out there who treat a dog as a disposable item is just sicking. Heading out to Ashton thursday to have a meet and greet with hogan, will keep you updated!

This is probably a really stupid question but where is the Ashton pound?
    I know it's on the River road and I've driven along there a few times but I haven't noticed it.
    Can anyone help me out with what I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

head trough ashtown over the railway lines, then a really small painted on roundabout, then turn left at the lights, its a small windy road and the river tolka should be on your right hand side and its not far up, less then a minute or 2, i think the sign on the entrance (left of the road) is "animal hospital" or something, didnt say "dog pound" when i was lookn for it anyways.

best of luck!

fletch... wrote:
    head trough ashtown over the railway lines, then a really small painted on roundabout, then turn left at the lights, its a small windy road and the river tolka should be on your right hand side and its not far up, less then a minute or 2, i think the sign on the entrance (left of the road) is "animal hospital" or something, didnt say "dog pound" when i was lookn for it anyways.

best of luck!

'Animal Clinic', but your directions are bang on.

I was up there yesterday afternoon looking at Wicker, the black Staffie strayed in Coolock. He's a beaut!. He was in his cage grunting away like Staffies do and looking alittle sorry for himself :(

Staffies are the make the most fantastic family pets, pity about the shams who give them a bad name :mad:

Thanks for those directions I know exactly where it is now! :)
    Gonna head up on Saturday and see what the little one thinks.

HOGAN IS SAFE!!!!!
    Collected him yesterday afternoon from ashton, he's brilliant, in work now, so will do a proper post over the w.end with loads of pics and tell you guys all about him, Thanks thalia and to everyone for the help.
    Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

been off her for a while and just saw this post. I hope to adopt a rescue dog soon so esri - my 8 mnth gsd, has a partner in crime! but it wil depend on what happens - but it will be a recuse dog that i know. :) will keep an eye out and when all is ready, will go look for one

HOGAN IS SAFE!!!!!
    Collected him yesterday afternoon from ashton, he's brilliant, in work now, so will do a proper post over the w.end with loads of pics and tell you guys all about him, Thanks thalia and to everyone for the help.
    Vinnie.

Well Vinny, I hope Hogan gets over the Kerry accent soon ;)

Weldone. Its brilliant seeing a Staffie rehomed, the poor feckers don't get a look in and they make the most fantistic pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

I have to agree with whats said already...fostering is one of the most rewarding things you can ever do. I have fostered three times (though the second managed to stay somehow:p ) All of them were pups cause my dog and now dogs are a bit iffy with other dogs in their territory. I would defintly do it again, but am at school at the moment so don't have much time.

If you don't think you can foster dogs or are not a dog person kittens and cats often need fosters too, I have done that as well. IMO seeing a spitting and hissing feral kitten turn around a purr after two weeks of interaction is amazing and so uplifting......:D

Give it a go!!!!!;) And DID are great.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would love a dog but am out of the house all day and dont think it is fair to the dog. The Ashton Pound is only around the corner from me, would anyone know if they are looking for volunteers?

irishbird wrote:
    i would love a dog but am out of the house all day and dont think it is fair to the dog. The Ashton Pound is only around the corner from me, would anyone know if they are looking for volunteers?

They're always looking for volunteers. Anything at all, even to take a dog out for a walk is a welcome break for the staff and dog.

Contact the volunteer's at www.dogsindistress.org

Hey all,
    Hogan has fitted in perfectly down in kerry, he's even got used to the accent:D Thanks Mairt!!! . He was in the vets yesterday, vet said he's in good health bar a touch of kennel cough which he gave him an injection for and put him on antibiotics for a week, so he will be getting his vacc's once he comes off them, got him microchipped aswell. He really is a great fella, so friendly and well mannered, Ive attached a few pics for you guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Hey all,
    Hogan has fitted in perfectly down in kerry, he's even got used to the accent:D Thanks Mairt!!! . He was in the vets yesterday, vet said he's in good health bar a touch of kennel cough which he gave him an injection for and put him on antibiotics for a week, so he will be getting his vacc's once he comes off them, got him microchipped aswell. He really is a great fella, so friendly and well mannered, Ive attached a few pics for you guys!!

What a lucky little laddie he is. Looks happy as a pig in muck! :) Well done :D It's really lovely to see such happy endings! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Where's my Cat?

Oh my god I'm getting all emotional reading this, what a lovely story.

The poor little staffy with barely a chance ended up looking so happy on his own arm chair.

Well done Mairt for your post as well. It might have saved the little dog's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I have 5 cats, 4 were rescues. Rescuing is great.

Nala wrote:
    I have 5 cats, .

Mmmmmmmm, dog food :D

I've got a rescue cat too. I'll try get some photos of Jericho (my Staffie) and Samantha (the cat) together for the forum.

Although Jericho is only with us since Aug 10th so they're still getting to know each other.

Burntcornlake...

They're lovely photos, and a lovely Staffie you got there too.

Aren't they the best?.

Btw, your front garden is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Just wanted to say well done to all of you.

We took in a wee terrier cross who'd been abandoned in an industrial estate, about 3 years ago now.
    Wasn't my better half's first dog, but it was mine, and I've had SO much fun & pleasure with my wee dog.
    Still shudder to think what may have become of her if we hadn't took her in.

Ireland has a fairly bad rep. when it comes to dogs, so it's quite heartwarming & re-assuring to see threads like this.

Keep up the good work, folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Nice dog, looks happy

Advertisement