Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Hog!! Help!!

Options
  • 22-09-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am currently sharing a broadband connection in my apartment.

The issue is that I cannot even view simple content when my flatmate
    is using BitTorrent / Limewire.

I am looking for a way to split the connection when we both need it so
    I at least have 50% available bandwidth. I've no problem with my flatmate using the full 100% when I'm not around.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this, that I could install on my laptop WITHOUT having to install anything on my flatmates machine?

Or perhaps there is a registry setting that will limit inbound connections?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You need a QoS Router. It will let you set the bandwidth for each IP address.

or Check This Hack

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 anonymous2004

Cal wrote:
    You need a QoS Router. It will let you set the bandwidth for each IP address.

or Check This Hack

Cal.

Ok I've a netgear router which don't support QOS.

I think I'll have to splash out on a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless router which that hack is compatible with.

Only thing is I think Linksys have got wise to this and changed their model to WRT54G which doesn't allow the hack. Anyone know if the Linksys WRT54G will do what I need? i.e. restrict bandwidth by device without third party hacking?

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

you can use NetLimiter, the problem is that it needs to be installed on the computer that you want to slow down the connection.

and of course you can block ports, its not ideal resolution but at least youll be able to browse web

as for
    "Only thing is I think Linksys have got wise to this and changed their model to WRT54G which doesn't allow the hack. Anyone know if the Linksys WRT54G will do what I need? i.e. restrict bandwidth by device without third party hacking?"

why do you think there are routers that cost 1000s of euros? no sane manufacturer will do that kind of software for router if it costs ~100e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 anonymous2004

fl4pj4ck wrote:
    why do you think there are routers that cost 1000s of euros? no sane manufacturer will do that kind of software for router if it costs ~100e.

Ok I hear what your saying, will just have to make sure I get the GL model that I can upload a better firmware to..

Cheers

Advertisement