Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelbuilding, Best Place to Get Wheels Built

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get some wheels built for my road / touring bike. I am quite a heavy cyclist 19stone and the wheels that came on the bike keep buckling, particulartly the rear wheel which is a 28 spoke wheel straight laced on one side and crossed spokes on the other side.

I was thinking of a Mavic open pro rim 36 spoke front and rear, but I am not sure what hubs to get, the hubs on the bike at the moment are black for a 9 speed Shimano cassette but there does not seem to be many black road hubs on the market so was wondering if I could use Shimano XT hubs on this road bike?

Any reccomendation on the open pro rim type they do black, silver or a CD type rim, is the CD rim gonna be much better and last longer than the silver or black?

My other question would be what way should I ask for the spokes to be laced and where would be the best place or who would be the best person to build these wheels?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I found Andy the bike mechanic in Staggs cycles in Lucan excellent for advice and re-building wheels, they're in main street, Lucan, ph: 01 6283022 or www.staggcycles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If I was going to get a pair of wheels built I'd opt for Cliff in Cycleogical - good wheelbuilding reputation.

You'll have to check the spacing of your current rear hub. Road bikes are generally 130mm, mountain bikes are 135mm. Touring bikes could be either. This may rule out the XT hub for you (135mm).

I'd say just go for standard 3-cross lacing on the wheels.

The CD rim is supposed to wear slower than the standard on. It's up to you whether it's worth the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Yep decided to go to see Cliff in Cycleogical today, he really knew his stuff, have decided on a set of the Mavic Open Pro rims in black, 36 spoke with Ultegra hubs.

I asked Cliff to build the wheels with black spokes and silver nipples, I wonder how the black rims with silver nipples, black spokes and the shiny silver Ultegra hubs will look? I wonder should I have gone for silver spokes.

Anyhow I might post some pictures of my new wheels when I get them, they will be ready on Thursday, cant wait.

Advertisement