Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage deal on my damaged punto?

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I was involved in a car accident a few weeks back. My 97 Punto was damaged (boot wont lock and is a bit mangled looking inside (outside looks fine funnilly enough) and one side of the bonnet is about a inch higher than it should be. Anway I brought it to the garage and they said it was a write off. I got the car for 1400 euro 2 years ago. The insurance company are giving me 800 euro so I was thinking of either using the car in a scrappage deal when getting a new punto or else selling it to a scrappage yard. Anybody any ideas on any good deals I could get (in the dublin area).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Scrap yard will give u 100-150quid. 800 is not a bad offer imo. If you accept the insurance company then own the punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't think there are any scrappage deals these days?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are makey uppey ones from dealers who simply sell on the cars again. They won't want a crashed car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, it involves you getting the same amount for your car as you could get in a discount if you just asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah, there's no such thing as a "scrappage deal"

If you show up with no scrap car, you'll get the same deal as someone who does

The term scrappage deal came from the early to mid 90s, when many (probably most) cars on the road were bangers and people were delighted to be the first in their family ever to buy a new car, availing of this scheme :)

It's only a bit over a decade ago that one regularly saw cars with holes in them :eek: :D Some people here might be too young to remember, or sometimes it seems to me they're blocking out the memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks everybody for your replies. I am new to all this as it is my first car. Have had it for 2 years without any trouble. It is NCT'd till Dec 09 and the car is driving fine. I wonder would a scrappage yard take it off my hands for a couple of hundred euro??? If they dont where do I go to get rid of the car?? The insurance company are not taking it. They said they will give me the money and I can get rid of it as I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

unkel wrote:
    ...from the early to mid 90s, when many (probably most) cars on the road were bangers...

It's only a bit over a decade ago that one regularly saw cars with holes in them :eek: :D Some people here might be too young to remember, or sometimes it seems to me they're blocking out the memories...

Yes there were too many "bangers" on the road, but no way was it most of them. One big difference then was that the majority of cars were sold with a very basic spec than they are now. Something like a Golf GTI had steel wheels whereas it has alloys in the UK. Stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 equaliser

the value of a car to a scrap dealer can be broken into two categories.
    1. Is there parts on the car that can be sold on e.g. alternator, gearbox etc.
    2. Value of the car as scrap metal.

If the car is old then category 1 is not really worth much so you wont get much for your car. Now say you were selling a crashed 07 Audi then there could be lots of parts that could be recycled as they would be essentially new.
    I would assume an old punto would only yield its value as metal....
    Em

Advertisement