Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hello all, i recently finally got rid of my isdn and got andbroadband switched on in my home (and thanks to eircom, this only took about a month and a half to accomplish) but ever since i got it installed, ive been getting very low download speeds, but ok upload speeds. I keep ringing them up and they basically tell me to do a test on it , and when i do test it off the program they choose, i get a fairly good download speed. I am on a 3mb line and only getting around the hundred kb/s mark or less. Anyone have this problem with I.B. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

What are you downloading ? If it's torrents I'm pretty sure they throttle the speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

limewire in particular and torrents also.. but even when im downloadin from say, download.com i still get slow rateS?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Multiply the KBps download speeds (Bytes) by 8 to 10 to get the raw line speed Kbps (bits).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

deadl0ck wrote:
    What are you downloading ? If it's torrents I'm pretty sure they throttle the speeds.

Are you sure. I use IBB for torrents and always get full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Are you sure. I use IBB for torrents and always get full speed.

They throttle heavy torrent users. They also only do it on ports so if you change the ports and encrypt your connection, you usually get good speeds again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

how do i encrypt my connection and change ports? im currently using a wireless card on my laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I use UTorrent. I use port 80 and encrypt my connection. Get 240KB/s down on a 2Mbps connection.

Advertisement