Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Clubs

Options
  • 22-09-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all! Anybody know if there are any model aircraft flying clubs in de south east?

I also have another question. I'm getting back into de model flying but this time starting out with an electric motor. The model weights around 2Lbs, any idea what size motor I would need?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a club in thomastown, kilkenny.
    I supose motor wise you'd be looking at 540size, whats the wing span?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hi there,

Wing span is 47". Haven't used it in a long time. Used to have a .25 engine in it if I remember correctly.

Any further details on that club in Thomastown? Location?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

For a 47" wingspan I wouldn't know, infact i wouldn't have a clue if it was any size. Ask coolwings, he is a member here.
    About the club in Thomastown I have to look in and find out a bit, even to see if they are still around:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi
    The guys at Thomastown are not an official club ... more a group of individuals that fly together in a "friendly" local field.

MACI has a list of "the official" federation clubs.
    IrishMountains & Uplands Slope Soaring Resource has a list of many of the other flying spots where there is no "official club", but flying is done with local landowner consent, esp slope soaring.

There are several clubs in the south east of the country, and also many other "free" flying locations where you are more on your own.

Where are you based? "South east" is a bit too vague to make a good practical suggestion.

I'm in the Carlow/Kilkenny area.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Well if you are nr Kilkenny then Thomastown would be a bit distant.There used to be some locals who flew at the KKy airport. A trip out there and a chat with the staff would probably get you a current tel number.
    I have flown at the rugby grounds of Kilkenny College with small 400 size planes, but permission is very hard (practically impossible!)to get.
    Off the Freshford Road, I used to fly years ago at the riverside over the back of the hospital near Talbots Inch used to be good, but it's more overgrown now.

For your 2lbs airplane...to fly it properly in electric you need 150 - 250 watts.
    On 3S lipoly batteries that means a motor that can handle 25-30 A continous.
    A brushed Johnson 6421 in an Aeronaut 2.3:1 gearbox, with a 10 x 6 carbon prop would do nicely. I had that setup in a 25 size Piper J3 Cub converted from glowfuel into electric and it did the job well. So would a brushless motor of adequate size.
    But it depends a lot on the shape of the plane and the profile of the wings.
    You could call Patrick at 01 4928776 (Green Hobby) for suggestions.

If you are more up at the Carlow area. There is no model flying club in Carlow that I am aware of. I have slope soared at Hackettstown from the big hill there, and that is nearby. There is another place listed in the Slope Soaring Resource - Irish Slopes List called Carriglachan or similar., but I haven't flown there yet myself.

You could also pop over to the Newbridge club in the Curragh.

Thanks for the info coolwings. I'm on the Carlow/Kilkenny border so Thomastown isn't that far. The model I have is called a Precedent FlyBoy. Its just your typical high wing trainer. Havent flown models in years. I started out with a group of guys that used to fly in Kilkenny out the Callan road.

Peter Bull used to sell models out near you.
    I haven't heard about him in a few years.

Yeah, bought my first plane from him. He died about 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 byrneair

I do allot of flying in Kilkenny, out the Dublin Road, where you from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement