Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Hey, I dont know if this is the right place to put this.
    Im going to try and make an Elmo cake for my daughters 1st birthday. I would love some guidance as to where the best is to buy the tin, colours ect. and is it just a plain sponge mixture that I should make.

there is a whole world to sugar craft that I didnt know existed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

foodaholic, you might be better starting a new thread about the Elmo cake because people will see it when they look down the list of threads and you'll be more likely to get replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

thanks, Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Christmas cake 2012
    photo3_zps76f1d265.jpg

Christmas cake for gym party... complete with kettlebells and dumbells!
    IMG01861-20121201-17551_zps7980fe66.jpg

Fat free mint choc cake (aside from the after eights obviously!)
    IMG01804-20121122-1839_zps3d4f02e1.jpg

Boy/Girl cake for a pregnant friend :)
    IMG01769-20121121-1246_zps511f1be4.jpg

IMG01483-20121018-1626_zps115864ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

3439_10152341448425347_1400136963_n.jpg a minnie cake i made for my friend's baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

doing my little brothers wedding cake for the 16th of next month, doing a 3 tier 10inch, 8inch and 6inch with chocolate biscuit on the bottom then chocolate sponge topped with madeira, decorating it with white chocolate icing, ivory 3d doves, red ribbon and edible flowers on top

will post pics

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Light lemon sponge, recipe by Gino D'Acampo in Saturday's Irish Times.

265069_10151407455240801_563395736_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

kids first cbc :)

4EE0EE3E1E9D426480C09ADA958C0991-0000360696-0003156855-00500L-FE4B277DA6254F5883217B4A84436E44.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Looks good! Cutting very neatly and nice malteser placement, all good :)

Thanks Phormium, they were delighted with themselves, defiantly a chocolate overload, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

IMG-20130111-WA0003_zps29cf00f7.jpg

im starting the wedding cake i mentioned above today (wednesday). pics to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Twee. wrote: »
    Light lemon sponge, recipe by Gino D'Acampo in Saturday's Irish Times.

265069_10151407455240801_563395736_n.jpg

Thats looks gorgeous..want some!

Better late than never, here is the wedding cake i did for my brother

538069_302127496579914_1031082310_n.jpg

and i did a minnie mouse cake for my wife's cousin's daughter on saturday just gone

rsz_856837_517073018335754_1399867431_o.jpg

im strongly considering turning it into a business

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're amazing! You could certainly make a living at cake making :)

They're amazing! You could certainly make a living at cake making :)

cheers, everyone has been saying it to me so i think i will, ive already advertised and had posters done so please god it takes off

My first, and probably only, 'Princess Cake' that I made for my daughters 6th birthday party a week ago. There was an audible 'ooooooh' from the little girlies, well worth the 3 hours it took to make:D.

thats incredible, a real talent you have there

• Registered Users Posts: 1 asher2009

first cake i ever made, it was for my daughters 4th birthday
    ashs 4th birthday 012.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

cheers, everyone has been saying it to me so i think i will, ive already advertised and had posters done so please god it takes off

Make sure to get yourself HSE certified.

I actually don't think there is that much money to make in cake making when you take into consideration all the costs.

Yes the HSE registration is essential, you won't be able to get insurance without it anyway.

I don't know how to say this without sounding mean but if you are intending making a business out of this then you need to work on the finish of your cakes especially the wedding cake. Brides are very demanding these days and will expect a professional level of finish when parting with money. Friends and family getting it for half nothing are always happier customers.

There are many courses available from the likes of Decobake, Stuff4cakes, A Cake for you, Cork Cake Craft and others, and also lots of free demonstrations.

Again I am not trying to be horrible, just offering some advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

phormium offers some good advice. If you're investing money into making it a business, you need to be sure your cakes can compete with the best. They need to be perfectly level and smooth both before icing and after. Have a look at some of the pictures here for the level you'll need to aim at: https://www.facebook.com/GraceDanielsCakes?fref=ts

phormium wrote: »
    Yes the HSE registration is essential, you won't be able to get insurance without it anyway.

I don't know how to say this without sounding mean but if you are intending making a business out of this then you need to work on the finish of your cakes especially the wedding cake. Brides are very demanding these days and will expect a professional level of finish when parting with money. Friends and family getting it for half nothing are always happier customers.

There are many courses available from the likes of Decobake, Stuff4cakes, A Cake for you, Cork Cake Craft and others, and also lots of free demonstrations.

Again I am not trying to be horrible, just offering some advice :)

doesnt sound mean at all, thanks for the advice, its all appreciated :). i need to master the smoothness and a good few other things. im looking into the courses

Glad you took it in the spirit in which it was offered :)

It is very easy to improve someone who has a flair for this sort of thing so you will find classes a great help.

Should have mentioned sooner but there was a great cake show on in Cork this weekend, some fantastic entries and skill levels, lots of cake decorating stuff to be bought as well.

If you can afford to go a trip to the UK Sugarcraft show in Birmingham in November is well worth it, there is also one in London in April, it was on in Manchester this weekend, I picked Cork instead!

i might try get over to london next month, if not definitely brum in november

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

First time posting in this forum, what do ye think of my Fireman Sam cake for a 2yr old? Thanks in advance for the feedback!:)

samdavis wrote: »
    First time posting in this forum, what do ye think of my Fireman Sam cake for a 2yr old? Thanks in advance for the feedback!:)

That looks fabulous :)

samdavis wrote: »

Great looking cake, love the expression on Sam's face :)

It's very good, neatly covered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

Thank you for the kind words, it was my first time making a figure out of icing, think I've found a new hobby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

that looks amazing!!! congratulations on such a good job!!!

Advertisement