Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you have a recipe DB? That looks lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Madiller29

love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used this recipe Faith: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2044/dorset-apple-traybake

I think you're supposed to leave slices of apple visible on the top but I kept a little bit of the mix back in order to cover them up because I find they can be tough if you leave them exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Link sent to Mrs Billy in case she is feeling up to baking next weekend. We have tons of apples from the garden that need using. Thanks DB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's not as professional looking as some of the cakes in this thread and I totally lifted the idea from the internet, but I'm quite proud of this cake I made tonight for my daughter's birthday.

EFMW8dRl.jpg

I also made some tricolour orange and vanilla cupcakes for her class (we live in the Netherlands), this is one pre-cicing.

4wJoglml.jpg

With the leftover cupcake mix and ganache I made muffins.
    7gG7aKal.jpg

'scuse the mess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lingua Franca that cake looks amazing!! I've seen that one on Facebook!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Same! It was really quite easy, the ganache held the kitkats on nicely (that's not leakage at the bottom, that was ganache cement) and the piggies were fairly simple. The tails were the only fiddly part.

If anyone else is having a go: I used my 11 inch cake tin and used 13 4 finger Kitkats. I didn't know how many I'd need so I bought 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I used this recipe Faith: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2044/dorset-apple-traybake

I think you're supposed to leave slices of apple visible on the top but I kept a little bit of the mix back in order to cover them up because I find they can be tough if you leave them exposed.

Many thanks for that DB... I made it at the weekend with some unexpected apples from the neighbours. It was gobbled up at a furious rate by my visitors with cups of tea.

Good tip on covering the apples at the top too. Moist, not too sweet, yummy with tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

RlKBPGJ.jpg

Baked these Franzbrotchen this evening. Absolutely delicious! Fair amount of work involved but totally worth it!

I made the most amazing fudgy chocolate brownies last night - it's the best recipe I've ever used - it's from the primrose bakery book. Will be making them again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I made the dorset apple tray bake last on Friday for a family party - was gobbled up before I had a chance to take a picture! I will definitely be making it again! Thanks for posting the link to the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Made a few of my mums favourites for her birthday. Coffee and walnut cake, almond slice and carrot cake cupcakes. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My first attempt at covering a cake with fondant, not perfect. Not sure I have the patience to practice more but here it is. Lego brick cake. I didn't have a stencil to try and get the words Lego onto the circles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SANTA!

BcCYnQjCYAEmRLm.jpg

This one remains unfinished from last night, just didn't have the heart to go back to it last night and no time really today...hoping to add santa and a tree before xmas day...and maybe some wording but my letter cutters are huge and I'm brutal at writing :/

1538719_10152222558406833_1614691285_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

first christening cake. first post in Cakes & Bakes hopefully many more!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Very cute!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tazzer wrote: »
    first christening cake. first post in Cakes & Bakes hopefully many more!

It's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Made Banoffee Blondies today from Rachel Allen's Cake recipe book. Forgot to take a picture and I am embarrassed to admit it but we ate all of them! :D

I didn't use all of the toffee almonds as I let the toffee go a slight bit over and it was just a shade darker than it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Just made the Boston Cream Cake from the book 'Like Mam Used to Bake'. The cakes are delicious. Very light and fluffy. The filling I am a little disappointed with. I think I added too much custard powder. My tablespoons were a little generous. It tastes great initially but leaves a slight chalky residue.

I will definitely undermeasure the powder next time as opposed to overmeasuring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Refined sugar & gluten free homemade Tea Cakes! NYOM!!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Refined sugar & gluten free homemade Tea Cakes! NYOM!!!!

Any chance I could get the recipe for those please?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Zaph wrote: »
    Any chance I could get the recipe for those please?

I'm probably not allowed post link to my blog here, so I'll PM you a link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Those teacakes look gorgeous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

could get the recipe for those as well please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

[IMG][/img]30CA4127A05B404D8AABF91E005317D5-0000360696-0003498878-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

fresh cream and jam sponge cake with chocolate ganache for outline of horses head, first time cutting out a shape in sponge :)

tatumkelly wrote: »
    I'm probably not allowed post link to my blog here, so I'll PM you a link :)

linky too please...I LOVE teacakes but gluten DOES NOT love me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I made this today. Took an age but well worth it :)

23rnvhw.jpg

Served with vanilla ice-cream and raspberries.

zj6p79.jpg

It's quite sweet so the icecream cuts it nicely.

Followed Mary Berry recipe:
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/mary-berry/french-apple-tart-recipe

That looks amazing miss no stars!! So professional! I really want to make that now!!

What size flan tin did you use can i ask; it doesn't say it in the recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I took the recipe from the book, which says a 28cm tin should be used... I didn't have one though so used a 24cm tin, which gives about 8 portions.

Advertisement