Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Here are a few pictures of the cake I decorated for my friend.
    Can't say I baked the cake because after just 15 minutes in the oven the power went for 2 days. I had to improvise and bought all the madeira cakes and tea brack in the local corner shop.
    When I was about to whip oodles and oodles of butter cream by hand the power came back on and I could use the kenwood. Pfft ! It was a stress cake, that's for sure. But all came good in the end. :)

14uc39f.jpg

2hrkbo9.jpg

34fm8zr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Got the Hummingbird Bakery's Cake Days in Easons the other day and some of the recipes are absolutely amazing!

Made the Hazelnut Praline Muffins earlier and myself and OH have eaten half already. Total gluttons I know but the nutella in the centre is just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Finally got around to making the best cake in the world, according to Norway (as seen in other thread). Really delicious, surprisingly light. As you can see I slightly over whipped the cream, but I really didn't want it running down the sides!

jP4cCBB.jpg?2

KgYJLiL.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Finally figured out how to incorporate cheesecake filling into apple and cinnamon bundt. Very happy!

10264962_10151963257796735_1794144607721081586_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Finally figured out how to incorporate cheesecake filling into apple and cinnamon bundt. ]
    Dear God, that looks fantastic, would you share the recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Space Dog wrote: »
    Dear God, that looks fantastic, would you share the recipe?

Erm sure, now I just have to figure it out. I combined two recipes to make it.

Right, so this is the Bundt cake recipe, I don't melt the butter nor do I use the icing. I'll add the cheesecake filling next but sometimes I plop condensed caramel from the tin (dulche de leche) in the middle. But the cheesecake filling is so damn good. But both work beautifully with the apple.

Apple-Cinnamon Bundt Cake
    From Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food, March 2004
    Ingredients
    Serves 10
    300g plain flour
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    225g unsalted butter, melted
    300g packed light-brown sugar
    4 large eggs
    6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    125g icing sugar
    1 to 2 tablespoons water
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 180C.
    In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and bicarbonate of soda. (Don’t worry about sifting).
    In a large bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk until smooth.
    Gradually whisk in dry ingredients just until combined (do not overmix).
    Using a rubber spatula, fold in apples.
    Spoon batter into a 26cm non-stick Bundt pan, and smooth top.
    Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. (Check at 40 minutes – mine was ready in 45).
    Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes; invert onto rack to cool completely.
    Once the cake has cooled, whisk together icing sugar and enough water to form a thick yet pourable glaze.
    Set rack with cake over a piece of baking paper (for easy cleanup); drizzle cake with glaze, and let set before serving.

Cheesecake mix, just whop it all together in a bowl then pour most of your bundt mix in tin, pop in cheesecake mix then pop the rest of the bundt mix on top. Bundt mix is heavier so bare that in mind.

300g cream cheese
    125g mascarpone
    1egg and 1 egg yolk
    2 tbsps flour
    90g caster sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Thanks a mill, must give this a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Some cakes/cupcakes I've made recently:

Coffee Swirl Cake - Donal Skehan recipe - I got a retweet from Donal himself when I sent the pic to him :o

101213095.jpg?t=1403539316

Victoria Sponge

101213072.jpg?t=1403539465

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes

101213030.jpg?t=1403453107

Red Velvet Cupcakes

230614375.jpg?t=1403539727

Vanilla Cupcakes

62f91f9d-4e04-48ea-9512-650d4fe476ab.jpg?t=1403536267

My first ever wedding cake! Made for friends who had a very DIY wedding last weekend. The stress of making a good looking cake was one thing (I'd be a fairly rustic baker), the fact that they had no dessert other than two lemon cakes which I also had to make was another level altogether!
    k7QCxOX.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Found something new - well, to me anyway.
    It's a cake called Monkey Bread.

Now, it doesn't look anywhere near as picture perfect as some of the cakes posted on here, but it's incredibly tasty.

It's similar to cinnamon rolls, but the dough is not shaped into Danishs but into little balls, rolled in sugar and cinnamon and placed into a cake tin, with some melted butter, sugar and more cinnamon poured on top, then baked.

I meant to take some into work tomorrow, but I doubt there'll be anything left over....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Tried Pumpkin Cake from BBCs Good Food website. Half of it stuck to the bottom of cake tin.:(

Salvaged it though. Broke it up, drizzled over maple syrup and moulded into "cupcakes."

Really easy cake to do. And the orange cream cheese icing is delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Birthday cake. Took the opportunity to try some stuff with sugarpaste. All edible except the ribbon and bases! Pleased enough with how it came out, put white chocolate ganache under the fondant. Harder to work with than imagined! Few imperfections (and dreadful writing, never could write neatly!), but as can be seen, it's for an 80 year old so I doubt they'll be noticed :pac:
    2ilmxvq.jpg
    294ni2p.jpg
    2a4xod3.jpg

My god, that looks delish!! Had a family dinner over the weekend and I was on dessert duty. Made lemon tart, instant chocolate mousse and carrot cake.

The pastry for the tart was so crumbly and kept falling apart when I trimmed off the excess after blind baking. That annoyed me as I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my desserts.:pac: Others were great though! I loved the carrot cake. From the Hairy Bikers diet book....I'll definitely be making it again.

No pics as the family would think I was a right weirdo taking photos to share with people online.

Out of boredom yesterday, I made carrot cake.....again. Hairy biker's diet book recipe so I feel good having a slice

...or 3!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks lovely. I have the book too - must give it a try.

I made monkey bread last week from one of the GBBO books. Dough balls rolled in melted butter, then a cinnamon/brown sugar mix, packed together in a loaf tin. Kinda difficult to cut because it's in balls but delish nonetheless!!

Nothing better than hot cinnamon sugar dough balls fresh from the oven.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

I like sansrival cake :)

Did a bit of baking over the weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

The cake looks fab. That's donal skehan cake is it. How did it taste.

maryk123 wrote: »
    The cake looks fab. That's donal skehan cake is it. How did it taste.

It was absolutely AMAZING! I highly recommend it! Yes, it was Donal Skehans recipe :)

• Advertisement

0ddmBV5.jpg?1

Funfetti cake I baked for my 30th birthday last week, I used standard Dr Oetker multicoloured sprinkles throughout the cake but the colour really faded with the baking!! It was a seriously delicious vanilla cake though!

iAoXFmg.jpg?1
    Chocolate chip, thyme and sea salt cookies!

TnHUHFw.jpg?1
    Chocolate chip, peanut butter and pretzel cookies!

Also baked Donal Skeehans cheese and potato bread and it was fluffy and delicious, pic didn't look great though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My piping work needs a lot of practice, but the cake tasted very nice.

11136905_829929720433318_1320194143_n.jpg?oh=d64882d5e881701da62eb6815cc4e9ff&oe=55231E92&__gda__=1428423298_c773de2c92816fba650041af9402f8a9

11136917_830383797054577_1269812518_n.jpg?oh=8131e1fe05e714fb4ac6e47fae1c385f&oe=5523F672&__gda__=1428365282_cd669ad4b6dc47595bf5f32d6ecec742

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^ Yum!

I attempted pineapple upside down cake yesterday. Got the recipe from Jamie's Comfort Food. It was not a success. Took three attempts to get a smooth caramel...and it was burnt. The pineapple wasn't sweet enough. And it fell apart when I took it out of the tin.

On the positive side, the sponge was delish! Coconut milk and desiccated coconut is added to the cake mix. I ate that part and binned the fruit!:p

Trying this made me realise how much of a pain caramel is to make. Next time, I might melt a tin of Carnation caramel instead.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

I want to learn how bake some cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

RosyLily wrote: »
    I attempted pineapple upside down cake yesterday. Got the recipe from Jamie's Comfort Food. It was not a success. Took three attempts to get a smooth caramel...and it was burnt. The pineapple wasn't sweet enough. And it fell apart when I took it out of the tin.

On the positive side, the sponge was delish! Coconut milk and desiccated coconut is added to the cake mix. I ate that part and binned the fruit!:p

Trying this made me realise how much of a pain caramel is to make. Next time, I might melt a tin of Carnation caramel instead.:D

I use this recipe for pineapple upside down cake and it always turns out great - no need to make caramel!! you could probably add desiccated coconut to the cake mix without a problem (there is a recipe here for individual ones with coconut added!)

I use this recipe for pineapple upside down cake and it always turns out great - no need to make caramel!! you could probably add desiccated coconut to the cake mix without a problem (there is a recipe here for individual ones with coconut added!)

Thanks! I'll be giving it another go soon - minus the caramel. That recipe looks delish!

ZqhYP0n.jpg?1

HOlfpYm.jpg?1

Made this chocolate, almond and pear cake from a lovely new book I got recently (Sesame & Spice). Decorated it with edible flowers, bought on a recon mission to prepare for a wedding cake I'm making in two weeks!

Had another go at pineapple upside down cake using the recipe suggested by Rucking Swimmer. Miles easier and very tasty!! I added some lime zest to the batter. Quite a light cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Some recent efforts.

WP_001940_zps4fabcfc3.jpg

how the evangelical vegetarian and I can compromise on a quiche.
    WP_0015552_zpsd200072c.jpg
    though, since then, it has been declared that quiche is not on the "to eat list". bummer. I think it's the pastry.

Banana bread and chocolate brownies, pre-cutting!
    WP_001553_zps09b0596b.jpg

Advertisement