Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

A few more.
    WP_001912_zpsrmt5l7pk.jpg

From a different book.
    WP_001890_zpsnodaplwg.jpg

oh yeah, these were good!!!
    WP_001800_zpsr2hdapj3.jpg

encore une fois
    WP_001880_zps0bxaulzf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

From the Odlums recipe at the back of a packet of 2kg flour. Carrot Cake.

535257_140705462723990_292601853_n_zpsjondwz22.jpg

Upfel Pi und quiche to the side.
    10606222_607390999388765_6547766661462282324_n_zpsqztrdwur.jpg

In 2012 I tried to do a VEC cooking course on World Cuisine, or something but was too late. It was full but the woman on reception persuaded me to join the Introductory to Cooking. Hmm, it was okay, but I made this Frangipan and a Tiramisu, which was great and I ate nearly the whole thing (which wasn't a bad thing, tbh!)
    547203_141734929287710_444264319_n_zps3jvwssud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Made a wedding cake for my cousin and her lovely bride last week, a real labour of love, took approx 28 human hours to complete, feeling very proud of myself!

bgeMLIB.jpg?1

Carrot cake, topped with crushed oreos and edible flowers!

zHwD0wZ.jpg?1

Overhead shot of the cake.

uVy1KvG.jpg?1

Naked cake, top and bottom tiers lemon with lemon curd and buttercream, middle layer vanilla.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That is a beautiful cake, and a true labour of love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Well done, naked cakes are no joke to get right and yours is perfect.

As a matter of interest how was this served at the wedding? I am always curious as to how it can be cut and served neatly into the usual finger size portions or did they serve slices on a plate with a fork to eat them, a lot easier I imagine.

I was talking to a hotel manager friend of mine who was complaining about the trend for naked cakes as they cut 'horribly' as he put it, suited to a dessert but not so much to finger food.

• Advertisement

They cut it into fingers and served it like you would any other cake, it didn't seem to be an issue at all!
    So many people now have sponge cake rather than fruit anyway, the only difference is the lack of fondant I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

That looks delicious tfak85!! And ridiculously perfect! Craving lemon cake now.

My cousin wants me to bake her wedding cake. She's 18 so I've loads of years to prep!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭DunnoKiddo

What a lovely wedding cake and tremendous undertaking! Looks delicious as well as beautiful. Well Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Good to hear it served well. I didn't mean cutting wise in comparison to fruit, I don't know anyone that has had a fruit cake for a wedding in recent years, I just thought that the sponge used for naked cakes is more sponge than madeira for example so would be a softer cutting cake than a fondant covered madeira.

I have cut lots of wedding cakes at family weddings, if I make the cake and am at the wedding I like to cut it as I think a lot of hotels make a mess of it but anyway cutting a fondant cake is easy enough as you can get a grip of it as such as it's dry to the touch but not as easy with a naked cake and as for buttercream covered ones I wonder how on earth that can be neatly done?

Although I think most hotels cut the four edges off cakes before they start cutting finger slices, they square off the round cake this way for ease of cutting so maybe it's not as messy as I think it would be.

Cakes like yours look so appetising though that I feel I would like a big slice on a plate with a fork and a dollop of cream :) No one really likes fondant, it's just a way of getting a certain look to a cake so a necessary evil.

Apologies for misunderstanding, they did square it off but in doing so cut the edges into fingers too, it held up quite well. I would have loved a big slice of it myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That's so beautiful tfak85! And those little carrot cake flowerpots! So, so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG I NEED to bake again - but I'm trying not to at the mo :( SO many things I want to make!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ages since I had a big bake day so I'm posting this all over boards :D
    Felt soooo good. I miss baking.

CFyxVAkW0AEAxa3.jpg

Cookies, gluten free brownies, gluten free lemon cheesecake and new experiment, gluten free base toffee cheesecake...not sure how well the toffee cheesecake will set. Going to mess with the recipe and try it again, hadn't got many GF digestives left for the base so not sure how good it'll taste as there is complete mismatch between base and topping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This is my first ever Victoria Sponge (that I've made, not that I've eaten).
    Don't laugh, it's a bit lopsided:

s2hdw6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Well done! its lovely, you got a nice height on your sponge :) don't worry about it been lopsided,thats what home baking is all about, if you wanted you could trim the top of one sponge, so the base of it sits on plate and level, and the top you trim is level and covered with cream, great job

sdp wrote: »
    Well done! its lovely, you got a nice height on your sponge :) don't worry about it been lopsided,thats what home baking is all about, if you wanted you could trim the top of one sponge, so the base of it sits on plate and level, and the top you trim is level and covered with cream, great job

Hey thanks a million!

I've had a bad record with sponges in the past; they never turn out right.
    They used to stick to the tin, whether I lined them or not.
    Or the greasproof paper would take half the sponge with it.

Anyway, I used silicone cake moulds today (8inch, €1.49 from Dealz!) and the sponges came out really easily.
    I was so happy when none of the cake stuck to the mould and yeah, I'm impressed with the height too!

Good tip with the trimming of the sponge, I'll do that next time.
    It tasted gorgeous too (it was a Mary Berry recipe)
    :)

My first attempt at a carrot cake. It was really nice, I have to say!
    Done with a lemon cream cheese frosting :)

9vlfs3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Bake sale in work tomorrow, I made a double batch of paul hollywoods jam doughnut recipe and just ringed one half. Recipe says to make ten but a double batch made 25 HUGE ones. Not the most professional looking doughnuts but they look good and taste even better!!

350943.jpg

Very handy recipe but it says you can knead it by hand, it's waaaaaaay too messy for that, use a dough hook if possible!

This book arrived from amazon yesterday; can't waaaait to try loads of the recipes in it!

lolas-forever2.jpg

I got Mary Berry's Cook Now, Eat Later from Amazon yesterday. Very excited!! I'll have the kitchen to myself tomorrow so I'll have to try some of the cake recipes.:)

First on my list: Double Chocolate Chip Brownie Cake. *drools* :D

• Advertisement

I made the Double Chocolate Chip Brownie Cake over the weekend. Really good and surprisingly light!! I made them without the icing...I feel healthier!:pac: The recipe makes two loaves...one was so burnt (I blame the oven and its dodgy door). Will definitely make it again and freeze one loaf for chocolate emergencies.

Mary-Berry-teatime-recipes-Aldo-Zilli-food-sweet-cake-brownie-532167.jpg

Pictures above are from the book. On the left is the choc cake with icing. On the right is Mary's Ginger and Orange Cake with Mascarpone Icing. It's next on my list once I find some stem ginger in syrup.

Made these today from Lolas cupcake book :-)

RosyLily wrote: »
    I made the Double Chocolate Chip Brownie Cake over the weekend. Really good and surprisingly light!! I made them without the icing...I feel healthier!:pac: The recipe makes two loaves...one was so burnt (I blame the oven and its dodgy door). Will definitely make it again and freeze one loaf for chocolate emergencies.

Mary-Berry-teatime-recipes-Aldo-Zilli-food-sweet-cake-brownie-532167.jpg

Pictures above are from the book. On the left is the choc cake with icing. On the right is Mary's Ginger and Orange Cake with Mascarpone Icing. It's next on my list once I find some stem ginger in syrup.

They both look amazing. Must start getting baking books again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

leahyl wrote: »
    Made these today from Lolas cupcake book :-)

Are those ginormous, or teeny tiny oreos?

pwurple wrote: »
    Are those ginormous, or teeny tiny oreos?

Mini oreos!

Housemate opened oven while my lemon and lime traybake was in there...didn't clock with me what would happen till I looked in to take it out...sunken... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I made my sister's wedding cake. First fondant cake so it was stupidly risky to take on but eventually worked out after a good few hairy moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Well done, Looks great :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Housemate opened oven while my lemon and lime traybake was in there...didn't clock with me what would happen till I looked in to take it out...sunken... :(

That's a heartbreaker :(
    I made my sister's wedding cake. First fondant cake so it was stupidly risky to take on but eventually worked out after a good few hairy moments.

Oh wow, that's fabulous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Didn't make cake, but scones today: raisin, blueberry and raspberry ones

Advertisement