Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Spadina wrote: »
    Oh my God plain sugarpaste! I didn't think that would make a shoe at all, it's too soft and weak. Sorry if that sounded bad but I can't imagine making anything to stand alone out of just plain sugarpaste, I used pastillage and sugarpaste with as much gum trag as I could get into it and still shape it.

ya kinda ha ha ;) I imagined it would work as im a newbie to this and was trying something out - lucky we have this forum to find out the tips etc..suppose it is all trial and error, but thankfully this has been my 1st error and hopefully it will be my last.
    I shall d look in to the pastillage, gum trag and all if i plan to make anymore of these

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Hey i made the same mistake on my first shoe cake, and God did i panic. Then i realised i should have used the gumpaste which i couldnt' get in time. So i ended up making a Wedge rather then a high heel. You don't have to worry about the heal cracking and it all supports itself. The strap across the top i supported with some kitchen roll until it dried.

I use gumpaste now which dries much much quicker. I've attached a pic of the wedge shoe i made.
    ya kinda ha ha ;) I imagined it would work as im a newbie to this and was trying something out - lucky we have this forum to find out the tips etc..suppose it is all trial and error, but thankfully this has been my 1st error and hopefully it will be my last.
    I shall d look in to the pastillage, gum trag and all if i plan to make anymore of these

sandy_c wrote: »
    Hey i made the same mistake on my first shoe cake, and God did i panic. Then i realised i should have used the gumpaste which i couldnt' get in time. So i ended up making a Wedge rather then a high heel. You don't have to worry about the heal cracking and it all supports itself. The strap across the top i supported with some kitchen roll until it dried.

I use gumpaste now which dries much much quicker. I've attached a pic of the wedge shoe i made.

Sandy that cake is so pretty and the wedge is gorgeous :D My 2nd attempt has dried & will probably stand alone but im just not happy with the design & the few surface cracks.ive contacted a shop in town for the gum powder & they have it so i might just try another before friday. Glad to know im not the only 1 to make the mistake :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That'd be great so if you could get the gum trag, I think everyone makes that mistake once, I made a sugarpaste pony for a cake last year with no gum trag, his head bobbed to one side and he looked like he had a stroke, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Sandy that cake is so pretty and the wedge is gorgeous :D My 2nd attempt has dried & will probably stand alone but im just not happy with the design & the few surface cracks.ive contacted a shop in town for the gum powder & they have it so i might just try another before friday. Glad to know im not the only 1 to make the mistake :confused:

AAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh had a long reply typed and managed somehow to delete it(I'm actually going to blame my stupid computer this time) I'll retype it tomorrow, but just to say everyone makes mistakes and at least you are giving yourself time to get it right. Like Spadina I had a disaster with a model of a person I made - it kind of disintigrated...still scarred by the memory and if at all possible I avoid making little models of people. I should do what you do and keep going til I get it right.

• Advertisement

tootired wrote: »
    AAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh had a long reply typed and managed somehow to delete it(I'm actually going to blame my stupid computer this time) I'll retype it tomorrow, but just to say everyone makes mistakes and at least you are giving yourself time to get it right. Like Spadina I had a disaster with a model of a person I made - it kind of disintigrated...still scarred by the memory and if at all possible I avoid making little models of people. I should do what you do and keep going til I get it right.

oh i hate when that happens...well im slowly running out of time to try my 3rd attempt, as i dont work in town i asked someone to pick up gum powder for me.the woman in the shop seemed very confused & gave my friend Gum Arabic!! is this worth keeping,should i get gum trag aswell today or should i exchange the gum arabic for gum trag. would gum arabic in fondant do the job? :confused:

Sorry I don't know, my sugarcraft books aren't with me at the moment. I've googled it but it seems more to do with making ordinary sugar paste and it stops it from hardening....not sure it's what you need.

ya when i googled it, it mostly was for making a glue to stick figures together etc so ive gone ahead and gotten tylo(se) powder, dont know will i have time to re-do the shoe but it will be good to have for my future efforts, will be returning the arabic aswell.

*oh & the reason i didnt get the gum trag is because the shop didnt have it,and didnt seem to know what it was, i asked about tylose cos from what ive read it does the same job,which they had. its v frustrating not having a place to go to pick up last minute emergency supplies, sometimes i wish i lived in the USA they seem to have everything in their local supermarkets

The tylo powder usually dries hard pretty fast. Be careful with the thinner bits of the shoe, the tylo can make thin bits very brittle. Good luck!
    What part of the country are you in? I'm in Co. Galway and have just found a local ish supplier, heading over to her on Thursday for a look.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Co. Galway and have just found a local ish supplier, heading over to her on Thursday for a look.:)

Is that the one in Corandulla? I already got an order from her but had it delivered, must go over for a look. Was in Decobake last week and they have extended the shop since last time I was there, lots of it is plastic things for sticking on cakes which doesn't interest me but still lots of new equipment and sparkly things.

• Advertisement

Spadina wrote: »
    Is that the one in Corandulla? I already got an order from her but had it delivered, must go over for a look. Was in Decobake last week and they have extended the shop since last time I was there, lots of it is plastic things for sticking on cakes which doesn't interest me but still lots of new equipment and sparkly things.

It is, I'll let you know what it's like. Haven't been to Decobake but order from them all the time. Funny, I don't like all the plastic stuff too. Not a fan of the edible plaques either.
    Can you pm me the fb page for sugarcraft, couldn't see which one exactly you mentioned. Thanks

The tylo powder usually dries hard pretty fast. Be careful with the thinner bits of the shoe, the tylo can make thin bits very brittle. Good luck!

Thanks, i will watch out for this!!
    Im in limerick, so a bit of a treck just to have a look but if i plan on taking a trip to Galway i will def check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

It may not be as pretty as everyone elses but hey, still tastes good! :D

If anyone has ever made Gur cake and can tell me what gives it a really deep earthy flavour, please let me know. Mine taste very nice but it's missing a real deep earthy kick. I don't know what it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 barrigone

just wondering where ye order the gum-trag, gum-arabic from and the coloured pastes, online ? i saw on stuff4cakes site they have small bottles of these 14ml -trag and 28ml arabic - would one bottle be enough? e.g. how much should you use to make the shoe?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JP09

My first attempt at a giant cupcake...filled it with choc ganache :D

JP09 wrote: »
    My first attempt at a giant cupcake...filled it with choc ganache :D

Wow that looks really lovely! Was it for a birthday or just for fun?!

barrigone wrote: »
    just wondering where ye order the gum-trag, gum-arabic from and the coloured pastes, online ? i saw on stuff4cakes site they have small bottles of these 14ml -trag and 28ml arabic - would one bottle be enough? e.g. how much should you use to make the shoe?

thanks

Hi barrigone, i tend to order from different places on ebay/internet depending what is cheapest,or where has the stock!!! i havent yet used gum trag or anything like that yet but i think most places on the net say 1 tsp for every 250g..... a few ppl on here have used it so might be able to give you some tips!

Not many pie posts up here so I thought I'd make a Key Lime Pie. Waiting for it to cool but the filling tasted delish before it was cooked :P

Not yet decorated. I'll serve it up tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Some of mine from the Christmas gone :)
    f54adc810fd0.jpg

7ae9516ac54c.jpg

7acf21fcc98a.jpg

54d13d0f1325.jpg

e3c108cabaf2.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Not the prettiest cake, but it tasted good!

Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting filling and topping.

164092_10150124128145801_507880800_8143808_4263264_n.jpg

• Advertisement

so here it is my 1st shoe box & shoe-ive learned a few things along the way making this that i need to fix for my next 1 but i was pretty happy with this for a 1st attempt :)

shoecakebuns.jpg

very good showgirlrita, hoping to do my first one this week

loveheart shaped coffee cake i made at weekend

barrigone wrote: »
    very good showgirlrita, hoping to do my first one this week

Thanks, it was an experience doing it. Bday girl was delighted with it tho.

And best of luck with yours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Jersey cake I made for my brothers birthday dinner Sat night..

AlanBirthdayCake.jpg

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Jersey cake I made for my brothers birthday dinner Sat night..

The shape turned out great TG, did you use the tutorial that you posted above last wk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The shape turned out great TG, did you use the tutorial that you posted above last wk?

I kinda had to wing it! The tin I was using was fairly big so had to mix up two cake batches for this so it took an hour to cook. By that stage it was burnt at the edges so didnt exactly work out as I planned!

Very nearly went in the bin was so stressful icing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Can you buy little figures for these cakes or do ye make them?!
    :eek:

So impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would always model my own figurines for my cakes. It's such a fun!!!! :) And they are completely edible too, though people usually keep them after the cake is eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

How do you make them?

Advertisement