Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router problems

Options
  • 22-09-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just bought a wireless router, Sweex LW055, in Peats, to hook up to my IBB broadband modem (Netgear) but for some reason I am unable to connect to the modem via the router.

I've followed the router manual, step by step, setting it up for PPPoE using IBB connection details, but still no joy, all lights are on and all cables are working fine too.

Could I be looking at a dead router? Or is there something like firewall etc on the modem or router that could be blocking one from seeing the other?

Neither sweex nor IBB support seem to be any way helpful :mad:

Hence this post, any tips, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

have you set the Netgear modem to "bridged mode"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

So can you ping the router, you using static or dynamic addressing? ,Something to try: here.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

stanley1 wrote:
    Stanley1, yes the default is PPPoE bridging mode on the netgear modem.
    Hal1 wrote:
    So can you ping the router, you using static or dynamic addressing? ,Something to try: here.
    Hal1, seen that link, also posted a reply there, thanks all the same. Using synamic IP addressing. Yes I can ping and configure the router when all are hooked up, but can't ping the modem though. I've been looking at IP addresses and see that the LAN setup on the netgear modem is:
    IP 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0,
    the router is set to 192.168.55.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 from my sketchy memory of IP addressing, are they on different subnets? If so which should I change, modem or router?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Change the Netgear to 192.168.55.2, then your PC/laptop etc will be on 192.168.55.3 and higher. That should do the trick. Set default gateway on the PCs to be 192.168.55.1.

jor el wrote:
    Change the Netgear to 192.168.55.2, then your PC/laptop etc will be on 192.168.55.3 and higher. That should do the trick. Set default gateway on the PCs to be 192.168.55.1.

Jor el, thanks, thought that would have worked too, with new address as above I still cannot access the modem when going through the router.

Ping just times out, is this just an expensive beermat I got sold?

Anyone else out there got similar, Sweex Wireless Broadband Router (LW055 or LW904 when bundled with USB key), going in Peats for €59

• Advertisement

i don't think its possible to enter modem settings in bridged mode through router, router has taken over dhcp, firewall etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stanley1 wrote:

If you are using the Netgear DG834G it cannot be set to bridge mode (I have this from Netgear support some time ago) - so you need to turn of dhcp in the sweex.

stanley1 wrote:
    i don't think its possible to enter modem settings in bridged mode through router, router has taken over dhcp, firewall etc.
    I disabled DHCP on the router, as I see that on the netgear modem you cannot disable DHCP, but even with that setup I cannot out get past the router.
    dub45 wrote:
    If you are using the Netgear DG834G it cannot be set to bridge mode (I have this from Netgear support some time ago) - so you need to turn of dhcp in the sweex.
    Using the standard free ADSL modem used by Irishbroadband, Netgear DM111P you can apparently set various protocol types, including PPPoE Bridging mode, see screenshot attached.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

james1234 wrote:
    I disabled DHCP on the router, as I see that on the netgear modem you cannot disable DHCP, but even with that setup I cannot out get past the router.

Using the standard free ADSL modem used by Irishbroadband, Netgear DM111P you can apparently set various protocol types, including PPPoE Bridging mode, see screenshot attached.

If you have the netgear in ppoe bridging and the dhcp turned off on the router surely that means that you have disabled all routing functions in the setup?

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote:

Thanks, looks interesting, will try what they suggest there
    dub45 wrote:
    If you have the netgear in ppoe bridging and the dhcp turned off on the router surely that means that you have disabled all routing functions in the setup?
    The setup for netgear with IBB is to use PPPoE Bridging when setting up the connection for the 1st time.
    The router gives you several options, Dynamic IP (default), PPPoE, PPtP, etc. IBB support say to use Dynamic IP addressing.
    As for DHCP, that's running on the modem, the radio button to turn that off is greyed out. So with DHCP running on the modem, surely I can't have DHCP running on the router too, or can I have DHCP running on both? Either way, and I have tried both, I cannot see the modem through the router.

Appreciate the inputs guys.

Stanley1,

As outlined in that link http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5359, I did the following:

1. Change the bridging type to WFC2684 on the Netgear modem, this disables DHCP I believe, and just uses the modem as a gateway with authentication on the router (even the i) internet led on the Netgear modem is off now...)
    2. Had to reset the router (as I could not connect to the web interface once I changed the above).:confused:
    3. Set the router to configure over PPPoE, using the ISP login account details.

And hey presto, this is my first wireless post :D

Something like this should have been explained in the manual, as I do think this is a pretty basic setup! And I'm relatively techy, although been out of the circle for a couple of years! God help the average joe with no networking experience whatsoever trying to setup a wireless network.

Thanks to all for your input and pointing me in the right direction, now to hook up those other computers dotted around the house...

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciancork

I am having the exact same problem as you were! I am an average joe with no networking experience whatsoever trying to setup a wireless network.
    Well...I am reasonably tech savy, but I'm still confused:
    How do I access the configuration settings on the modem?
    And do I have to ring IB for the ISP login details?!

Please help, I am losing sleep over this!!

Thanks

ciancork wrote:
    I am having the exact same problem as you were! I am an average joe with no networking experience whatsoever trying to setup a wireless network.
    Well...I am reasonably tech savy, but I'm still confused:
    How do I access the configuration settings on the modem?
    And do I have to ring IB for the ISP login details?!

Please help, I am losing sleep over this!!

Thanks

To access the modem settings go to the default address (when connected directly to the modem by ethernet). Type the following into your browser: 192.168.0.1, you'll be prompted for login details, default is user ID: admin, password: password

From there make your changes as described in my previous post.

You should have got your IB login details when you were setup (by email and by letter), if you don't have these handy, you'd better call them.

Advertisement