Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave and Time Machine forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Far side cartoon

Tempers flare when Professors Carlson and Lazell coincidentally set their time machines to
    Identical coordinates

Frame show two guys in lab coats fighting next to a pile of smoking wreckage as a Caveman looks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Far Side cartoons rule.

Can I join your forum guise?

I like alternative uses of microwaves. Like using a microwave to dry a soft toy dog.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Like using a microwave to dry a soft toy dog.
    Please leave now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

please leave yesterday you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

+1
    due to lack of funding

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

20081210.gif
    Where can I get a signed copy of Breastica: Time Traveler from the Naked Future?

It should be coming out last week.
    Check Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just back there now, spent bloody ages waiting on a lightning strike...

the forum was granted anyways

• Advertisement

Just back there now, spent bloody ages waiting on a lightning strike...

the forum was granted anyways
    The trick is to deposit a small amount of money in a local bank. Then when you get back to your own time you can afford a mortar for the Silver Nitrate cloud seeding. It's well worth the trip to Russia circa 2178, the mark IV Сетунь is just the dogs when you need a thunderstorm in a hurry.

Just be careful. Lightning can interfere with the time matrix if your microwave isn't shielded properly. Believe me - I learnt this the hard way. I will never get those images of Napoleon with his generals out of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Stephen Fry said that there's nothing in the laws of physics which prevents time travel.
    And since Stephen Fry's word is gospel, it must be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

<random post without reading whole thread>

i read something which said that travelling forward in time is no problem, its the back-in-time that gets you, thats only possible to the time the time machine was invented, so if its invented in 2015, (when we'll all be wearing our clothes inside out, and scooting around on hover-boards), then in 3030, well be able to go back to 2020, but not 2000,

(so we'll never be able to party like its 1999 again? why did i waste it at home with my family???)

i read something which said that travelling forward in time is no problem, its the back-in-time that gets you, thats only possible to the time the time machine was invented, so if its invented in 2015, (when we'll all be wearing our clothes inside out, and scooting around on hover-boards), then in 3030, well be able to go back to 2020, but not 2000,
    Oh I see someone else has fallen for that old salesmans pitch.

As you know our universe is expanding so we can't just send a time machine to the big crunch and expect it to arrive at the big bang. Yes OUR universe is expanding. But there is another one that is contracting and when me and the lads sent the box over it nearly collided with an organic one. Job done and since the other crowd were carbon based we were able to meet up later on fro a session. They were well impressed with the styling of our Sharp microwaves and couldn't get over that metal artifacts don't get sick or go moody while for us having time machines that lay eggs is just brilliant.

Saved my bacon once. Was doing a bit of research on the sea people only to have some idiot run his chariot over my flux capacitor ( yes it was in a titanium shield ) just as the lightening hit :(
    So had a couple of eggs and some soil , sunlight and watering later it had not only grown up into a very pleasent but lonely time machine. It also had enough "leaves" gathering sunlight that it didn't need an external power source. And being a time machine it could sent it's tendreals back so it grew very fast indeed.
    To cut a long story short I was back in time for tea. And the the time machine ?
    I sent it back to the other universe where it started up it's own courier business, we still keep in touch.

(so we'll never be able to party like its 1999 again? why did i waste it at home with my family???)

If you can travel fast enough you could travel faster than time.

yeah that's the other approach, of course it's very difficult to go faster than the speed of light. Unless you reduce the speed of light to a more sensible velocity

For those of us who knew about it back in 1985 88mph was the target but by 1999 it halved again http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/02.18/light.html
    Light, which normally travels the 240,000 miles from the Moon to Earth in less than two seconds, has been slowed to the speed of a minivan in rush-hour traffic -- 38 miles an hour.

By 2004 they'd got it down to 4mph which was dead handy as you didn't even need to break a sweat. I can remember back in 1903 when I took the DeLorean back to look at the Gordon Bennett races I had to pop over to London to collect some bubbly. You should have seen the look on the bloke with the red flag ;)

http://www.gordonbennettroute.com/1903race.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh I see someone else has fallen for that old salesmans pitch.

As you know our universe is expanding so we can't just send a time machine to the big crunch and expect it to arrive at the big bang. Yes OUR universe is expanding. But there is another one that is contracting and when me and the lads sent the box over it nearly collided with an organic one. Job done and since the other crowd were carbon based we were able to meet up later on fro a session. They were well impressed with the styling of our Sharp microwaves and couldn't get over that metal artifacts don't get sick or go moody while for us having time machines that lay eggs is just brilliant.

Saved my bacon once. Was doing a bit of research on the sea people only to have some idiot run his chariot over my flux capacitor ( yes it was in a titanium shield ) just as the lightening hit :(
    So had a couple of eggs and some soil , sunlight and watering later it had not only grown up into a very pleasent but lonely time machine. It also had enough "leaves" gathering sunlight that it didn't need an external power source. And being a time machine it could sent it's tendreals back so it grew very fast indeed.
    To cut a long story short I was back in time for tea. And the the time machine ?
    I sent it back to the other universe where it started up it's own courier business, we still keep in touch.

ehhh.... i see your getting your drug induced hallucinations in the 7th dimension mixed up with reality again... i told you we were 4 dimensional beings and shouldn't try to comperhend the n-dimensional realities.

wrong. think about the fundamentals of time travel. you're essentially warping the time space continuum to traverse great distances in a short period of time. at some point you're in neither today nor tomorrow but some timeless 0 dimensional space outside the universe(s). so what one of the first guys did when he created his time machine was he only half created it. it got him outside the continuum but deliberately cut out. then he fixed it there (tricky to do when you no longer have any dimensions to work in), and thus invented a 0-dimsenional time machine (which meant his time machine was invented outside of space time and thus could traverse anyway, what with 1/0 being undefined and all).

same principle was used to travel to other dimensions where midnight get's his fix from... unfortunately it seems he's becoming a little to dependent on the stuff, conceptualizing a 7D hallucination with only a 4D mental capacity can cause a lot of damage, poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

normal_14_1227836136_9795129.jpg

Finally. It's about time this forum was granted. It only took 1542 years.

Last edited by Macros42. 1 April, 3551. Reason: Maths problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

has this happened yet

any minute now

FFS
    Been delayed again due to budget cutbacks, it's not like fourteen trillion Altarian dollars is all that much :(

Bloody MW&TM noobs. Of course it has happened yet. It just mightn't yet have happened in your yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    And just what speed does time travel at? And in what direction?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    And just what speed does time travel at? And in what direction?

That is indeterminable as far as i know.

Hermy wrote: »
    And in what direction?

Left.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    That is indeterminable as far as i know.
    Then maybe it's not moving. Maybe it's been sitting still all the while watching us race around trying to outpace it.
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    Left.
    This is interesting T-rig.
    When did you see it leave?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yesterday around neighbours time.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Yesterday around neighbours time.
    Anyone got a fix yet on where it went?