Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave and Time Machine forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

**Ding**

Ohhhh, there goes the microwave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Now this is more like it. I've been looking for a engineer to fix the rotating table in my microwave. Any takers? It's driving me mad as well as years off course.

Uh... huh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

User45701 wrote: »
    you can use a broken microwave to travel back in time? ive been using a jury rigged external 33k modem!
    a common mistake is to try to use a 33.6 kb modem when you should be using a modem chilled to 33 Kelvin, where certain components become superconductors.

What a fantastic match. Great goal from Shay Keane to qualify. And to think that Martian nearly got away with that tentacle foul. Bring on the Planetary Cup 6984 - it's ours for the taking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Macros42 wrote: »
    Now this is more like it. I've been looking for a engineer to fix the rotating table in my microwave. Any takers? It's driving me mad as well as years off course.

Did you try putting in a plate of chicken to absorb some of the microwaves? You'd have to be very careful to place it in a position to offset your rotating table, but done correctly it should narrow the margin of error, AND you have something to eat when you arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's nice to be here.

Hello Engineering peoples, I think you'll learn a lot from us, and possibly us from you, at least to some small degree.

I see what you did there. Or will do. Or have yet to do. I dunno, it's dinner time so causality is out the window. Will be. Was. Damn it, this is hard.

This might help Sarky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

*Sigh*

If you want to build a time machine, you're starting in the wrong place!

So you want us to build a time machine? Fine, we'll set aside some materials and get designing something (btw we generally charge about 3 trillion for this kind of project, but im sure that wont be an issue). But we are engineers, not theoretical physicists!

Send this thread over to the Mathematics forum first. They will crunch some numbers then throw it over to the physics forum. After the physics forum are done they'll give to us and we begin designing and building (If this is considered a government project we are obliged to charge double).
    After we've built it, we'll move the thread on tweaking & modding forum.
    After that? Well your going to be thrown between Humanities/PI/Thunderdome while a war breaks out between those who are concerned about you fecking around with temporal mechanics and others who support your crusade.

So, can a mod move this to mathematics forum?

Krieg wrote: »
    (btw we generally charge about 3 trillion for this kind of project, but im sure that wont be an issue).

Send this thread over to the Mathematics forum first.

Good points. While 3 trillion isn't an issue then it was an issue in the 23rd-25th centuries due to rogue travellers betting on the rising Sirian economy peaking in that period (also known as the Dog Days economic expansion). Also government contractors always say double but we all know that that's only a guideline and they usually mean at least quadruple. Only a wave-aware micro-mathematician could possibly compute all these factors to work out just how much to pay to fix that damn rotating plate once and for all.

Mathematics forum please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Engineers :rolleyes:

Who else would put a toxic waste pipe through a recreational area ?

Anyway this thread needs to visit philosophy / ethics before we can re-invent the time machine, temporal mechanics (the real stuff not the Star Trek technobabble) can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. OK I'm not going to pretend that we can stop evil overlords from using it but at least they should be aware of the gotchas and the realisation that they can't get away with it, unless they make fellow time travellers welcome in a stable society.

Moved to Mathematics. Send it back to Engineering when you want something actually done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moved back to Forums forum.

The thread comes full circle having begun here, been moved to forums accepted/rejected, The cuckoos nest, AH, Engineering and Maths amongst others.

Whatever games people are playing with this thread please don't put it back in a science forum. Can an Admin finally either approve/unapprove, lock or delete?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Deleting this thread would have catastrophic effects on the universes. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i say keep moving it. its a good old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye i only just discovered this thread and its a good laugh - some very funny posts as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Microwave - check
    Duck - check

Now I just need a way to
    stick the two together . . .

Great thread by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Rigger for KING!!!!!

• Advertisement

Microwave - check
    Duck - check

Now I just need a way to
    stick the two together . . .

Great thread by the way
    if you can manage to strap a slice of toast to the back of a cat and place said cat in side a microwave very strange things happen , especially if you don't look inside.

if it's any use the only thing that can hold toast to the back of a cat is duck tape...

Great Scott, it came back!

Sarky wrote: »
    Great Scott, it came back!

\o/

This is actually the first time this thread has visited the nest. The visit last week won't happen for another two years.

You mean it came Back... From the FUTURE?

Great Scott!

*faints*

You mean it came Back... From the FUTURE?

Great Scott!

*faints*

it came from the future to share a moment with one lucky mod. now on your knees soldier!

naughty.gif

reese1.jpg

I just can't decide where this thread should go next for the coverage it deserves. Lego? Travel? Motoring? Star Trek/Wars/Gate? They all do the time travel dealy...

• Advertisement

I just can't decide where this thread should go next for the coverage it deserves. Lego? Travel? Motoring? Star Trek/Wars/Gate? They all do the time travel dealy...

science? :pac:

Advertisement